• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coyotes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coyotes

The coyote population in my area is "healthy" to say the least! Many, many coyotes!
    Now personally I don't think that is a bad thing, but a lot of people would disagree!
    At one time coyotes were worth a few bucks and there was no problem with trappers/hunters keeping the population under control, but now they are virtually worthless and few will bother. I also believe modern confined livestock operations have proven to be an easy food source and encouraged coyotes to become less afraid of man as well as helped create the population explosion? I don't think you are supposed to leave the deads out for the coyotes but it is a very common practice, especially aroung hog barns?
    I hear all these horror stories about coyotes killing calves etc. but in all my years I've never lost a calf to coyotes. They travel through the cows all the time and the cows basically just ignore them.
    I certainly value my coyotes for keeping the gophers and mice under control and I always like to hear them "singing" at night!
    When I had chickens they sure cleaned them up if they got a chance, but I figured well that is their nature and it was my fault for not taking better care of my chickens! And in the long run I'd rather have coyotes than chickens anyway!

I can't even begin to tell you how many coyotes are out here and what sort of havoc they wreak on the livestock, especially sheep. The problem is that they are getting much more determined and diligent at getting their lamb dinners and not just from our flock either.

Leaving deads out is permissible under the disposal of animals act and sometimes it does relieve the pressure on the sheep. We do what we can to thin the coyotes out, but it seems to no avail.

Personally, I'd rather have the chickens than the coyotes anyday. But then we have to worry about the fox coming and getting the chickens. We actually passed one in our bush that was sound asleep. We couldn't believe it so we had to back the car up and have another look. If this war on duck hunters hadn't taken place, there might be one less fox around.

Comment

Something that I was told once was IF you had coyotes, AND if they weren't causing you any problems, then LEAVE them alone. If you allow their population to be trapped out, or shot out, then the newbies that move in will likely NOT be good neighbors.

Comment

Managment practices seem to play a large part in whether or not people have a coyote problem in this area. Folks that have sheep, and build predator proof fencing or have guard llamas or donkeys don't seem to have losses. Cow/calf operators that calve close to their buildings, and don't leave dead animals or any other material that will lure the coyotes around don't seem to have a problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...