• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Steyn

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Steyn

Monday, 25 October 2004
    Mark Steyn

Aside from the small matter of the war for civilization, I don't have much time for Tony Blair. But, among many marvellous passages in his speech to the Labour Party Conference the other day, he had one especially striking moment: "When I hear people say: 'I want the old Tony Blair back, the one who cares,' I tell you something. I don't think as a human being, as a family man, I've changed at all. But I have changed as a leader. I have come to realize that caring in politics isn't really about 'caring.' It's about doing what you think is right and sticking to it."

Anyone can "care," for what it's worth. Anyone can say, as Tony Blair's fellow Third Wayer did, "I feel your pain." But he doesn't really feel it, does he? He doesn't have to live with it, day in, day out. Under the debased rules of politics, self-proclaimed empathy is all that's required. The question is, when you stop talking, what do you do?

A decade ago, Canadians and their government were "shocked" by TV images of the Innu community of Davis Inlet in Labrador, a shantytown whose inhabitants were snorting drugs, glue, gas and pretty much anything else that came their way. Having claimed to be "shocked," our rulers then claimed to "care."

So they decided to build the Innu a new town a few miles inland, with new homes with new heating systems and a new schoolhouse with all the newest accessories. The new town-Natuashish-cost taxpayers $152 million.

Two years after the resettlement of the Mushuau, let us turn to our good friends at the CBC for a progress report:

"Alcoholism and gas sniffing continue to be a problem for people living in Natuashish, two years after the Innu community was relocated from Davis Inlet. The community of about 700 has seen four suicides in the past few months, and drug and alcohol abuse is rampant, say local officials.

"Former Mushuau Chief Katie Rich says she has never seen anything like it before...Rich says children are going to school hungry because their parents are drunk or stoned...

"RCMP officers in Labrador agree with the assessment, saying alcohol-related problems in the community are worse than ever..."

At this point, let's ask every reader who's surprised by this to put up his or her hand.

Well, okay. You're Western Standard readers. But let's ask Toronto Star and Globe and Mail readers, and Maclean's subscribers, and CBC viewers and listeners: how many of you impeccably liberal, "caring" Canadians stuffed to the gills with "da Canadian values" are truly, genuinely, honestly surprised by the results of your "caring"?

I thought as much. Now what are you going to do about it? Build another new town 10 miles down the road from Natuashish but spend $300 million this time, and then another 10 miles from that costing $600 million, and another for a billion, and another and another, secure in the knowledge that by the time you run out of vacant land in Labrador, the government will have been able to refurbish the original Davis Inlet trash heap for another two or three billion?

Gas-sniffing is not a traditional Innu activity. Before the first European settlers came, the Mushuau did not roam the tundra hunting for Chevy Silverados. That's something the white man taught him. Or, to be more precise, the lazy, posturing Liberal establishment white man. And, if any of us propose trying anything different, the Liberal party white man and his cronies in the rotten band structure dismiss us as racist.

Remember a year or two back, when the papers were full of stories about the aggrieved alumni of residential schools? They were doing a grand job of suing Canada's Catholic and Protestant churches into oblivion, a very small number of them for the usual excesses of randy clerics, but the overwhelming majority for the far vaguer offence of "cultural genocide." On closer inspection--which not a lot of guilt-ridden liberals could be bothered giving it--"cultural genocide" turned out to involve not genocide in the Sudanese, Rwandan or Holocaust meaning of the word but in the sense that generations of Canadian natives had been forced to learn about Queen Victoria, Shakespeare, Magna Carta, Sir Isaac Newton, etc. In other words, the kind of stuff which, back in the day when Lord Macaulay was writing his famous memo to Her Majesty's Government on education for (east) Indians, it was felt that everyone needed to know in order to be able to function in the modern world. The (east) Indians still feel like this, which is why when you call up for tech support you wind up talking to Suresh or Rajiv.

Imagine if our own Indians had just, oh, two or three per cent of that business. Alas, they fell into the hands of a vile alliance between the ostentatious "carers" of Ottawa and a corrupt artificial form of "self-government." Residential schools aren't "cultural genocide," but what's happened to the Mushuau of Davis Inlet should surely qualify. They were hunters and trappers originally, like the first Frenchmen on this continent. But the pur laine Quebecer doesn't do much trapping these days. He moved to Montreal's village gai, settled down with a nice young MUC officer from Algeria, and has no desire to return to James Bay. The Mushuau were denied those kinds of choices. Their old culture died, but we "cared" about them so much that instead of embracing them as full, free citizens we've maintained them in an artificial government cocoon for four decades. The gas-sniffing adolescents of those "shocking" 1993 TV pictures are now gas-sniffing parents with wee little soon-to-be gas-sniffers of their own. And on it goes, the curse of Canadian compassion, unto to the next generation.

Consider the sums of money involved: $152 million for 700 people. That's $217,142.85 for each man, woman or child. I've got a wife and three kids, so, had we been in Davis Inlet, that would have been $1,085,714.20 just for us. Imagine what you could do with that. Build a new house. Start a company. Hire some people. Invest in business opportunities. Get the kid an Ivy League education.

But the Innu don't have to do any of these things. They don't need to work, because the "caring" government pays them to lie around the house all day. And they don't need to buy a house because property rights is some racist whitey racket so all the homes are communally owned. That $152-million new town was a one-off, but the regular payments aren't so bad. In 2002, the local band council got $14 million just in federal funds. That's $20,000 per--or, for me and my gang, a hundred grand a year to do nothing. The result is pretty much as you'd expect. Everyone cruises around in brand-new pickups on roads that go nowhere, and, although there's no liquor outlet in Natuashish, when a town's that flush with cash, there's plenty of bootleggers prepared to provide the service: a 40-ounce bottle costs $300, and up to $800 on popular holidays. But, in a town where the government gives you $20,000 to do zip, it's holiday season all year round.

The difference between Natuashish and other native communities is one only of degree. If you drive along the Lower North Shore of the St. Lawrence, where Quebec towns and Indian reserves nestle side by side, you'll see the "regular" schoolhouse--an older, cramped building past its best and remodelled one time too often, but still showing signs of life--and then the reserve school--new, vast, money no object, and already a dump. At Natuashish, 100 children show up for class in a school that cost $15 million. Lop that and a couple of other public buildings off the total of $152 million, and the 130 family homes cost on paper a million bucks apiece.

Would it have been any more expensive to put everyone up in the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal with an unlimited room-service tab? That way, their vices might have been the comparatively mild ones of club sandwiches and mini-bar Toblerones. And there's a small chance that, after a year or two of watching premium movies round the clock, a handful of them might have ventured out onto Sherbrooke Street, and taken the first step to becoming full participating citizens of a developed society.

The buildings were never the problem in Davis Inlet, only a symptom of it. There's a reason why certain ways of life--those taught in residential schools a century ago, for example-spread around the world, and others--the Innu's--didn't. When you isolate people from the system that's created the most prosperous, healthiest and longest-living communities in human history, when you insulate them from the impulses that drive most of us-to build a home, raise our children, live full lives-the result is the government-funded human landfill that is Indian Affairs. Natuashish is a plantation with the government as absentee landlord, but the absence of work makes it, in fact, far more destructive than the cotton fields of Virginia ever were. How many more generations of the most lavishly endowed underclass on the planet have to be destroyed in the name of Canadian "caring"? We need to blow up Indian Affairs and end the compassionate apartheid that segregates natives from Canadians.

I was sorry to see that Mark is a Canadian but what the heck, it takes all kinds, Eh? I think the mark should try actually learning some specific history instead of spouting a kind of generalized pablum meant for people in his adopted land who don't think very well.

Comment

compared to Mark Steyn Mr Tower, you are an intellectual midget.

Comment

actually this is the first of mark steyn i 've read that made any sense for quite a while. i used to read him quite often but after 9/11 he went over the top and seemed to be suffering some dementia. this column made pretty good sense to me.

Comment

Hi ivbinconned again, perhaps you should go beyond the surface of bafflegab, and try to find links to the cause of drug abuse in a situation like this.

I don't mean simply the existence of drugs like liquor and gasoline, although white traders have made many a good living bringing them to the marketplace. I don't think they qualify as liberal troublemakers.

Comment

""perhaps you should go beyond the surface of bafflegab, and try to find links to the cause of drug abuse in a situation like this""

I just did. And posted it. See above!

Comment

Now I'm no expert on this subject but I do know a few Indians that have "made it" and done very well with their lives! And here is what they tell me.
              The reservation is a losing proposition! You can't win there and the influence of the lifestyle will drag you down!
              How did these few I know get out and why? They wanted a better life for themselves and their kids and they saw an industry that would give them that chance! They used the government opportunities to get some skills so they could leave the reservation spiral of substance abuse and death!
              Defacto they became "Indian whitemen"! Which some may consider a bad thing, but at least their kids won't be dead before they get a chance at life?
              Consider how most immigrants to this country basically are forced to assimilate over one generation? By the second generation they are usually doing well and moving forward? ...And then we have the Indians who are seperated into their own little ghettos and really are not moving forward? The reservation system and special status has really not worked very well for them?

Comment

I agree cowman;I too know some that have stepped away from the reserve system and done very well. One famiy in paticular run a succesful off reserve large grain and cattle operation and have been very generous with their white friends and neighbors...including me.

Comment

I'm no expert either cowman. and maybe that's part of the point. Until we've walked a mile in someones moccassins we should avoid being really vituperative about their situation. There have been way more success stories on reserves than we hear about because they don't make the news.

It takes a real disaster to bring peoples attention to the problems that also exist. And then while we are actually in the caring mode and our government is embarrassed into doing something rightly or in this case insufficiently, we get stomped on for caring!!

Might be better to figure out how to resolve the problem by asking the people who know most.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...