• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full fledged cattleman

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full fledged cattleman

I bought a cheap steer today. His name is Sir Loin.

They’re a big beast when one is used to sheep’s!

Should have meat in a month or two.

It’s not like I can get mor tied down, so.

Maybe half fledged?

Watch out for CALPC.

Cows are like potatoes chips.

You can never have just one!

Comment

Yeah. First bovine here since my dad died in 1989. I dunno. I like him. He’s very calm. It’s funny to me how slow they chew. So deliberate compared with sheep.

See, I’m married. This was a HUGE STEP. We shall see.

But goodness I like animals. At the very least I’m thinking if this guy works out I’ll get a weaned calf and graze him with the sheep, feed him up in fall.

I can’t stop smiling right now.

Comment

When young I always thought I should get into cattle. My Uncle was a cattle man and I spent lots of time with him during the the summers of my youth making hay and silage.Always enjoyed working with him and his cattle.
        Married a young lady that grew up on a farm with cattle and she never wanted any cows in her future so no cattle. Settled on leaf cutter bees as a way to diversify and that has worked out good as she is able to help in all aspects plus you can still get away in the winter if you want.
        My dear old Uncle was still making hay bales this summer but is on his last days now!
        Last edited by seldomseen; Dec 10, 2022, 22:05.

Comment

Don't let your grandaughter name the freezer beef ! I think " WHITNEY " is staying a lot longer on the farm than I had planned.

Comment

We had a group of customers visit us a while back and we served them a big lunch of home raised angus burgers ,fries from our potatoes and salads from our gardens, our daughter who was 10 or 11 at the time delighted in asking them how they were enjoying the steak.
            When they replied "steak?" She said with a smile ,"yup steak, that was his name,"
            That still finds its way into meeting conversations years later.
            Last edited by mcfarms; Dec 11, 2022, 08:28.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...