• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Numbers VS Common Sense

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbers VS Common Sense

In October the Manitoba Government cut a deal with University of Saskatchewan to increase the number of veterinarians from 15 to 20 a year. Have they thought this out carefully? Who are they going to work for?
    The number of producers and cattle has and continues to drop substantially.
    Chances are they have been reading their own propaganda a little too much and they think there are more cattle producers than there actually are. To add to that there is a harsh reality, call the vet and spend $500 to save a cow that has a current salvage value of $850 dollars. A tough call.
    Maybe they are going to expand the poultry industry.
    In my opinion it appears to be a situation where their numbers won out over common sense.

This may the best opportunity to expand our cow numbers for quite some time, and several will do just that. Large animal vets are in short supply.

Comment

Originally posted by DaneG View Post
      This may the best opportunity to expand our cow numbers for quite some time, and several will do just that. Large animal vets are in short supply.
      Certainly, talking to my Vet, there is a shortage. They are looking to hire another Vet, no luck yet.

Comment

Yep, vet shortage and it’s about to get worse when the small towns keep losing the old school guys and gals who are about to retire.

I think there will always be enough livestock guys out there. Some ppl simply don’t get their thrill growing crops. There will always be land that is not suitable to grow crops on, it can’t all be drained and flattened.

Comment

The two Vet clinics we have in Maple Creek are always busy , and extra people are always in short supply. Its not an industry for sissies.

Comment

With the current reduction in cattle numbers and the dropping number of producers do you see the need in 3 - 5 years for a lot of large animal veterinarians? That's a fairly large life time type gamble for the aspiring professional.
            Current prices do not support high cost care, especially emergency type response. I have not seen the kind of increase in income that would support that kind of care.
            My opinion.

Comment

Something like this comes to mind.
              https://discoverwestman.com/articles/higher-number-of-producers-leaving-cattle-industry-this-fall

Comment

What I'd like to point out is that there is a discrepancy in what the numbers say compared to what I see in the world around me.
                In my observation there are a lot less cattle and a lot fewer producers now compared to even two years ago.
                But the statistics are not showing that. So where do these numbers come from?

Comment

I think again, anyone farming in marginal areas will always have livestock. There are enormous areas where little else can be produced. But I hear you, in the grainland areas, cattle are disappearing like magic. Along with the cow men. As the generation shifts, and as grain farming has been pretty high return for most, it is a rare youngster indeed who actually wants stock.

Comment

Most definitely a vet shortage for us out west too. If we can’t figure it out with internet or YouTube then Winchester may be called to do the final troubleshooting. Our vet doesn’t even do after hours calls let alone something unscheduled. Only see him for semen testing anymore. Daughter is starting 4-h and taking vet sciences since that’s what she’s wanted to be since she was like 4 years old. Loves seeing carcasses hanging in a cooler or blood from surgery and learning about the critters and their inner workings. I see no shortage of work in her future if she picks this as a career. She already says the ultrasound we bought last year is hers😉

Comment

Great picture!
                      Thanks

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattle stats producer numbers .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	774223
                        Here is something that I was referring to.
                        Statscan is showing that the number of cattle producers (and cattle) in Manitoba is increasing.
                        When I look around in my part of the country the number of producers is down and continuing to drop. If the producer is still in the business there is a big reduction in the herd size.
                        How could there be an increase in the numbers as shown?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattle data.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	774224
                          Now you can read it.

Comment

Vet school teaches all animals, it’s not just focused on large animal.

There is a shortage of vets for demand, because even if cow numbers are low, other animals are up. There’s a greater shortage of large animal vets because that’s a tough job.

Vets have an incredibly high level of burn out and suicide.

Absolutely we need more vets. I went from 3 easy access to 1, and not because there’s no work in the area for them. It’s not as big of a pain for the cattle as it is for the small animals. Now I’m driving an extra 30 minutes!
                            Last edited by Blaithin; Dec 10, 2022, 19:36.

Comment

I get it. Every one in the cattle business wants / needs access to good affordable vet care.
                              That said how do you pay for it? 70 cent cows don't pay veterinarian bills. Even the huge dollar a pound cow won't do it. Adding expenses to the cow calf producer cannot be a part of the plan. Taking more money from the producer won't work. Nobody in the cattle business is willing to pay for the cow calf producers cost of production now.
                              The YouTube, Google, Winchester route has become the current standard.
                              Cow calf producer and cattle numbers are dropping, expenses are rising dramatically. Where would the money come from to pay these additional / replacement vets?
                              I don't have the answer... I just see a problem. A part of the problem is the numbers they use to guide the industry show one thing but common sense indicates something else.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.