• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

labor troubles?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

labor troubles?

I believe both Cargill and IBP have contracts coming up with their unions fairly soon?
    Now the unions are talking a substantial raise and who can really blame them? After all Cargill/IBP have been making record profits?
    The problem is this: If Cargill/IBP give them a sweetheart contract what happens when the border opens? Suddenly they will have put themselves in a position where they can't compete with their American counterparts! So I would suspect they will be not eager to give awy too much?
    IBP has a new union and they seem to have a good attitude in that they say striking is not an option, but they would expect the same deal Cargills union gets. The union at Cargill is quite a bit tougher and militant!
    Now what happens if Cargill goes out on strike? A total disaster, without a doubt for the Canadian cattle industry! Hopefully the Alberta government is prepared to step right in and send them back to work? Even a few days shut down could be a total wreck for our markets? Sure hope Shirley is on top of this one?

Within the next month, Shirley may move on to a different porfolio and someone else will be our Ag Minister. Shirley has always been aware of any issues facing the industry,and in my opinion whether you agree with her or not, she is going to be tough to replace, unless the Premier decides to leave her where she is until the BSE issue is resolved.

Comment

I thought she was retiring?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...