• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer Dakota/Trail King grain trailers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer Dakota/Trail King grain trailers

Looking at a set of these. Have two lodeking steel tridems and a steel lodeking super b. Will I be disappointed with the Dakota?

Read they had cracking issues around 2012. Are those issues fixed now?

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
    Looking at a set of these. Have two lodeking steel tridems and a steel lodeking super b. Will I be disappointed with the Dakota?

Is it a really good deal? I would stick with Lode King or Doepker if you find a set you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
      Is it a really good deal? I would stick with Lode King or Doepker if you find a set you like.
      That is the problem. Most for sale right now are either overpriced junk, or way grossly overpriced new.

New steel doepker are almost $160,000. Paid $88,000 new for loaded up lodeking in 2013.
      Last edited by flea beetle; Nov 18, 2022, 17:16.

Comment

There's the problem. This price of steel or aluminum is going to kill us. I'm rocking my 2012 Wilson as long as I possibly can. The 80's debacle started with sharp decline of commodities but expenses didn't follow down for another couple years. That killed farms. They didn't have the absolutely crazy price of equipment or parts to deal with though. It's not the bad years that kill farmers. It's the good years that they think will last forever. Hammer/checkbook time I think. Maybe I'm just sour that yesterday an 09' 570R that needed a concave/sieves/chopper/RB fees/trucking/had a strange rattle still f u cking went for $103k!

Comment

That’s the annoying part, steel is back to where it has been 5 years ago but prices are still high. I guess the high priced inventory has to get worked through the shops before prices start coming down. Trying not to buy anything for the next 12 months.

Comment

Just my 2 cents.
            If you can, even used, get riveted aluminum. An airplane is riveted for a reason.
            Wilson,Timpte, Doepker whatever.
            Steel is born to die.
            Agreed a painful part of the cycle to buy anything.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Just my 2 cents.
              If you can, even used, get riveted aluminum. An airplane is riveted for a reason.
              Wilson,Timpte, Doepker whatever.
              Steel is born to die.
              Agreed a painful part of the cycle to buy anything.
              These aren’t a necessity. I can hang back. Just they look like nice trailers, and reasonably priced for what they are. Not a deal by any means though.

Looking at putting a truck and trailer on commercially with a local hauler for the winter to keep one of my guys busy during winter. Can easily just use my existing trailers.

Comment

Ooo, the old buying a job game.
                Good luck 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  Ooo, the old buying a job game.
                  Good luck 🙂
                  Lol sometimes I wonder why I do the things I do.

Comment

Lol sometimes I wonder why I do the things I do.
                    Is this something you do every year? Put commercial plates on semi? Apparently there lots of work out there for b trains considering doing this myself as we are downsizing the cow calf side of the operation. I can't sit in the house all winter but sometimes would be nice to have a few weekends off in the winter. Cow calf side makes this near impossible lol

Comment

Rates are really low, fuel and tires and parts are really high. The rates I have seen will pay your operating costs only, nothing left to pay driver or make money on the equipment. Brokers are screaming for trucks and saying there is a transport crunch, but the fact is trucks are simply just parked.

Comment

Originally posted by Generation 5 View Post
                        Is this something you do every year? Put commercial plates on semi? Apparently there lots of work out there for b trains considering doing this myself as we are downsizing the cow calf side of the operation. I can't sit in the house all winter but sometimes would be nice to have a few weekends off in the winter. Cow calf side makes this near impossible lol
                        No, this would be the first year. Just trying it out. We also got into hauling farm and construction equipment for some of the local dealers/local farmers. Also rent out our cats and hoe, and need to haul them around as well. So truck is plated commercially already.

I will warn you that getting your safety fitness certificate has become fairly burdensome in Alberta. But it is not horrible if you are willing to do the work.

Comment

All I have heard and read about these trailers is they have a lot of issues. Don’t load well, don’t clean well, heavy, cracks. So cheaper to buy = much cheaper when you go to sell, and struggle with them while you own.

There is a reason Doepker and Lode King are very popular and almost exclusively used by commercial carriers. Wilson pretty popular also.
                          Aluminum trailers from those manufacturers have appreciated so that too means something.

I own both Wilson and Doepker-and will buy only Doepker in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                            All I have heard and read about these trailers is they have a lot of issues. Don’t load well, don’t clean well, heavy, cracks. So cheaper to buy = much cheaper when you go to sell, and struggle with them while you own.

There is a reason Doepker and Lode King are very popular and almost exclusively used by commercial carriers. Wilson pretty popular also.
                            Aluminum trailers from those manufacturers have appreciated so that too means something.

I own both Wilson and Doepker-and will buy only Doepker in the future.
                            Interesting on your thoughts between doepker and Wilson. After contemplating, I think I will try it out this year with what we have, and then hopefully buy another set next year.

Was looking at getting an extra set for the farm, but it can wait till the fall.

Comment

Interesting on your thoughts between doepker and Wilson. After contemplating, I think I will try it out this year with what we have, and then hopefully buy another set next year.

Was looking at getting an extra set for the farm, but it can wait till the fall.
                              Haven’t had any structural issues with either. As a user, the Doepker are just more refined. Better access, clean out better, chutes a Bit nicer.
                              My Wilson are not quite the newest-does look like some nice changes on the access part.
                              The Doepker are Legacy. Not a single complaint.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...