• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving to cancun

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving to cancun

Anyone ever do it? Think it be a great trip

I knew a guy 30 years ago that drove all over Mexico, had no problems but don’t ever drive at night, it’s not safe is what he said, get a room in a good spot and stay in it.

Comment

I just googled is driving in Mexico safe, first thing that came up was never drive at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
        a guy i know in penticton done it every year until now , sold everything and moved there, had problems over the years , just needed bribe money in pocket and need to speak spanish . he said more dangerous in southern states

Comment

we were in barra de navidad and there was a motorhome there from saskatoon
          lots drive to huatulco

Comment

We got on westjet in saskatoon yesterday morning at 10:30 and were in the vehicle on our way to our house north of p.v. In less than 5 hours. You gotta love driving to do it any other way. And yes, don’t drive ar night.

Comment

I have two cousins with a few individual stories about driving in Mexico.
              Not even maybe.

Comment

I am not sure why you would want to do a 45 hr drive instead of a 5 hr flight.

Comment

My 77-year-old neighbor who spends his Winters in Mexico drove down last year with a motorhome towing a minivan.
                  Ended up with lots of good stories to tell. Adventures with borders, police, breakdowns armed guards, the generosity of the locals, and the fun that results from documents not issued for the vehicles or the driver.
                  He says that is the last time he will ever try driving to Mexico. But doesn't regret going for the adventure once.

Have some younger friends who did it a few years ago and had lots of fun. Drove a crappy old truck with the assumption that they wouldn't be targets of criminals that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    I am not sure why you would want to do a 45 hr drive instead of a 5 hr flight.
                    Life is the journey, not the destination.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Life is the journey, not the destination.
                      Can I travel with you next time? My wife thinks life's a destination not a journey, and just wants to get to the destination as quickly and painlessly as possible without enjoying the journey at all.
                      I can't get enough of trains and airports and train stations and bus stations and ferries, and gondolas and ships, and bicycles and snowmobiles and of course epic long road trips.
                      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 18, 2022, 12:30.

Comment

I rode a Honda 350 to Cancun and other points in the fall of 1972. Come to think of it was probably in Texas about this time 50 years ago. Got a job on a ranch there for a few days to delay going into Mexico. When I finally got up the nerve found out the Mexican people were very friendly. I don't remember Cancun but Chichen Itza made a big impression. Was surprised to find people in Belize speaking english. Sold my bike (illegally) in Mexico City and flew home from Guadalajara on new years eve 1972

PS. My Dad and step Mom went on an RV caravan through Mexico in 1997. My lady and I flew down to Cancun, rented a car, and travelled with them for a couple of days. Merida seemed like a real nice place and the Mayan ruins are amazing. They got back with no real trouble.
                        Last edited by Happytrails; Nov 19, 2022, 15:44.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Can I travel with you next time? My wife thinks life's a destination not a journey, and just wants to get to the destination as quickly and painlessly as possible without enjoying the journey at all.
                          I can't get enough of trains and airports and train stations and bus stations and ferries, and gondolas and ships, and bicycles and snowmobiles and of course epic long road trips.
                          I'm a little spoiled that way.
                          I like road trips but have always been alone. Radio off.
                          Public transportation not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                            if you wanna do something little less adventurous, rent a car in cancun or farther south like PDC and drive to belize ,then on to honduras . you will go through places like chetumal , xcalak, . it would be an interesting trip

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              I'm a little spoiled that way.
                              I like road trips but have always been alone. Radio off.
                              Public transportation not so much.
                              I should have added, public transit in North America is not exactly a vacation destination. More so the rest of the world.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.