• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danielle Smith wins AB Premier

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
    Maybe a good thing we have a lady premier. If Trudumb gets her back up, she can keep telling him "NO" until hell freezes over.
    Because she just experiences it differently.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Look at what Quebec gets away with. They dont want religious symbols so they invoke the NWC and cancel out the feds directives even overriding the charter.

And our main industry is attacked and all we do is wag fingers.

There is going to be a constitutional crisis in this country. Legault was voted in with an overwhelming majority because he is probably a closet sovereigntist. He is already going after immigration and other topics with Trudeau.
      Go Danielle, finally some one with real balls, even a woman, but she’s just what the West needs. Hope the left-wing loonies don’t shut her down.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Go Danielle, finally some one with real balls, even a woman, but she’s just what the West needs. Hope the left-wing loonies don’t shut her down.
        pollievre and smith - the Trudeau wrecking crew 👍👍👍🐎👍👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Why does Smith get a hard time for crossing. I mean we have a PM who wears racist blackface. Notley sold Ab down the river with her carbon tax agreement with Trudeau. Redford literally built a palace on top of the leg in Edmonton. Kenny locked down the entire province and even roughed up pastors and teenagers.
          Couldn't have worded it any better myself, but honestly I thought that Kenney was good for your province , and that's my opinion coming from over here in Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
            Couldn't have worded it any better myself, but honestly I thought that Kenney was good for your province , and that's my opinion coming from over here in Saskatchewan.
            Premier Kenny did what the Lawyers told him must be done… which is why Jean would have been no different than Premier Kenny. Toews would have been the very much the same as Premier Kenny.

Notley has her job cut out to beat Premier Smith… 6 months at the Premier’s job… isn’t enough time to satisfy the curiosity of most Albertans… the sovereignty movement is on hold for now…

Interesting times!!!

Comment

I sincerely hope she can do something.
              Kenney did a lot of good but appeared to do nothing with Ottawa.
              The vid policies will get every politician eventually.

Comment

I've told Old Guard members they had to elect someone who would tell Ottawa flat out NO. Some understood coming from a pup of close to 60 lol.
                Maybe time for new blood. Here's hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  I've told Old Guard members they had to elect someone who would tell Ottawa flat out NO. Some understood coming from a pup of close to 60 lol.
                  Maybe time for new blood. Here's hoping.
                  Finally an Alberta leader who can team up with Moe who’s been the biggest voice from the prairies standing up to Trudeau. Now hopefully he is not alone. I don’t even think our provinces should waste any time homogenizing interprovincial regulations and go about establishing our own police force, collecting our own income tax, and administer our own pension plan. Costs more and extra strife but freedom has a cost. Do it now and save what amicable relationship we have with the feds and usher in a new era.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                    She is saying the right things and has potential. She may yet still fail. She made a big mistake and paid the price. Spent the last 8 years in the penalty box. I think give her a shot, the recent success of seemingly real conservatives these days is encouraging: Polievre, Meloni,
                    and now Smith.
                    (Reuters) -Danielle Smith, the incoming premier of Canada's main oil-producing province Alberta, has set the stage for an antagonistic relationship with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after winning her leadership race with plans to push back against federal laws. Smith, 51, was chosen by members to lead Alberta's ruling United Conservative Party (UCP) on Thursday, just seven months ahead of the next provincial election.

"Reuters
                    Danielle Smith, new premier of Canada's oil-rich Alberta, set to defy Trudeau

Nia Williams
                    Fri, October 7, 2022, 5:04 AM
                    By Nia Williams

(Reuters) -Danielle Smith, the incoming premier of Canada's main oil-producing province Alberta, has set the stage for an antagonistic relationship with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after winning her leadership race with plans to push back against federal laws.

Smith, 51, was chosen by members to lead Alberta's ruling United Conservative Party (UCP) on Thursday, just seven months ahead of the next provincial election.

"Today marks a new beginning in the Alberta story," Smith told UCP members after winning the leadership race. "No longer will Alberta ask permission from Ottawa to be prosperous and free. ... We will not have our resources landlocked or our energy phased out of existence by a virtue-signalling prime minister."

Trudeau tweeted his congratulations to Smith, who will be sworn into office on Tuesday.

"Let's work together to build a better future for Albertans – by delivering concrete results, making life more affordable, creating good jobs, and more," Trudeau said.

Alberta, home to Canada's vast oil sands and the world's third-largest crude reserves, has long had a strained relationship with Trudeau's government in Ottawa, stemming from a sense that the federal government's climate polices are damaging its oil and gas industry.

Some of Canada's top oil and gas companies, including Canadian Natural Resources Ltd, Suncor Energy and Cenovus Energy, are all headquartered in Calgary, the business capital of the province.

Smith campaigned on an "Alberta First" slogan designed to appeal to grassroots members on the right wing of the party and has promised to introduce the Alberta Sovereignty Act, which would allow the province to refuse to enforce specific federal laws it does not like.

Political commentators and legal experts said the act is unconstitutional and would likely be struck down in court, but could further sour relations between Ottawa and Alberta, while uncertainty about what the act will actually contain may spook the business community.

"On the business side you might get a bit of a drop in investment confidence until they see exactly what is going on," said Lori Williams, a political science professor at Calgary's Mount Royal University.

Williams said she expected Smith would be forced to modify the legislation by the UCP caucus, which could hurt her standing among the grassroots members who voted for her.

"The problem with Smith is that she has ramped up the anger and raised expectations, and the question is if they cannot be met, does that anger turn on her," Williams said.

The Alberta Federation of Labour, the province's largest worker advocacy organization, said in a statement that the incoming premier should focus on improving the life of Albertans rather than defying Ottawa."...

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                      Political commentators and legal experts said the act is unconstitutional and would likely be struck down in court,
                      Quebec just used such a power during the emergencies act and the hijab ruling.

Take it to the SCC then and get Quebecs hand slapped too. We all know thats not going to happen.

Forge ahead Smith and ignore everyone.

Comment

Does Quebec share its fortunes in it hydro with all Canadians?

Comment

I believe hydro Quebec is exempt.

Comment

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/premier-ca...110425433.html

Political commentators and legal experts said the act is unconstitutional and would likely be struck down in court,
                            What utter nonsense. Who is supreme; the legislature or the courts? Use the Notwithstanding clause if you have to but the act would be constitutional because it just creates a mechanism to order ottawa out of area that are constitutionally provincial jurisdiction. I voted Loewen #1 and Smith #2. I think Danielle does not go far enough which is full blown sovereignty but will wait and see. We receive nothinggood from ottawa so why do we stay in CONfederation?

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                              What utter nonsense. Who is supreme; the legislature or the courts? Use the Notwithstanding clause if you have to but the act would be constitutional because it just creates a mechanism to order ottawa out of area that are constitutionally provincial jurisdiction. I voted Loewen #1 and Smith #2. I think Danielle does not go far enough which is full blown sovereignty but will wait and see. We receive nothinggood from ottawa so why do we stay in CONfederation?
                              After the Trudeau‘Freedom’ Fiasco… treating CDN citizens as absolute fools… this political turn of events is a welcome change.

What will Trudeau do, send in the Canadian Military?

Alberta and Saskatchewan hold all the cards now… Quebec blackmailing is old and tired… The statue of Westminster 1932… gives much more authority to Albertans than the Liberals and NDP care to admit…

Biden’s new green deal… copied by Trudeau… is taking North America down the same self destructive trail as the EU.

Insanity. Hopefully Albertans are not hypnotized by green junk science… social engineering seems to have western civilization in self destruction mode… Putin helping us along…

Mathew 24 to a word.

Comment

After the Trudeau‘Freedom’ Fiasco… treating CDN citizens as absolute fools… this political turn of events is a welcome change.

What will Trudeau do, send in the Canadian Military?

Alberta and Saskatchewan hold all the cards now… Quebec blackmailing is old and tired… The statue of Westminster 1932… gives much more authority to Albertans than the Liberals and NDP care to admit…

Biden’s new green deal… copied by Trudeau… is taking North America down the same self destructive trail as the EU.

Insanity. Hopefully Albertans are not hypnotized by green junk science… social engineering seems to have western civilization in self destruction mode… Putin helping us along…

Mathew 24 to a word.
                                Interesting that Saudi Arabia as much as declared war on non OPEC countries by cutting 2 million Barrels per day… backing up Putin.

Quebec refuses to allow a LNG pipe line to eastern Canada.

PM Trudeau siding with Quebec… is in a big bind… Premiers Smith and Ford can really put the Liberals in a no win position… New dynamics!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.