• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theft of Canola in Alberta

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theft of Canola in Alberta

Lock your bins…
    Got this text from my brother…

…stolen truck / grain…forwarded from a neighbor… Apparently they (the thieves) stole an auger from another farm, then went into his yard at night and loaded the truck. A neighbour noticed the auger behind a Jeep and alerted him. They used the RCMP helicopter and a spike belt to stop the truck after a failed attempt to sell the canola at a Colony Camrose (Holden Colony)The Colony was also suspicious and called RCMP.

Grain Security is required now… at $40k/ truck load… a whole new reason for thieves to case your farmyard. Electronic security 24/7… how many $$$ of grain in your yards??? Are they all monitored… the thieves won’t take long to figure this out…

Be safe… Cell based security is possible just about anywhere…

Cheers

Is grainfetti still a thing??

Comment

What is best security system to sign up with?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Is grainfetti still a thing??
        See it around periodically. Doesn’t seem to be common.

Comment

Heard of a guy few years ago that went south every winter got custom truckers to haul grain while away. Someone pulled in cleaned out a big bin over a couple days neighbors even waved as they drove by thinking it was ligit.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
            See it around periodically. Doesn’t seem to be common.
            Welcome back, haven't seen you for a while.
            So what is the protocol when you do encounter it? Is there some type of registry where anyone was stolen grain containing grain fatty can register their grain and elevators are notified of it? Or you just make sure it matches the producer who is delivering? It definitely sounds like a good idea, but I've never quite understood what the practical application of it is.

Comment

Grainfetti is made in MB

A on-farm business that is a great idea. Even sell decals to paste on the bins to deter thieves. 50,000 Bushels can be done with one box for $184. Cheap insurance.

Comment

Probably some ole CWB supporters just trying to make sure no one else sold for $.05 / bus more than them or hauled 5 bus more than they could
                They just see it differently
                Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 14, 2022, 20:05.

Comment

I honestly thought grainfetti was a great idea. I would use it if I had remote storage.
                  Must still be a registry that graincos can call. Good to hear.

Comment

I remember a bit about getting samples with it in. One issue was with custom truckers the confetti could/would stick to wet or static stick to inside boxes and tarps. Then it would be comingle with next load. Ya not much but if even one piece raised concern to be used properly. Also grain vac could blow it out if used when loading.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Welcome back, haven't seen you for a while.
                      So what is the protocol when you do encounter it? Is there some type of registry where anyone was stolen grain containing grain fatty can register their grain and elevators are notified of it? Or you just make sure it matches the producer who is delivering? It definitely sounds like a good idea, but I've never quite understood what the practical application of it is.
                      We’ve never checked it. I actually can’t even remember what it looks like specifically other than little pieces of paper. Was only a couple of farms around Airdrie that used it and we knew they did so never checked when it appeared in the sample. Possibly it had some part of their name on it.

Nobody over here seems to use it so it’s been several years since I’ve seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                        We’ve never checked it. I actually can’t even remember what it looks like specifically other than little pieces of paper. Was only a couple of farms around Airdrie that used it and we knew they did so never checked when it appeared in the sample. Possibly it had some part of their name on it.

Nobody over here seems to use it so it’s been several years since I’ve seen it.
                        Is there enough of it in a load to show up in the probed sample every time, or only if you check as it is unloading?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Is there enough of it in a load to show up in the probed sample every time, or only if you check as it is unloading?
                          Whenever I’ve seen it it’s in the probe sample. There’s usually enough of it to easily catch your eye. Assuming there’s a recommended amount per tonne.

It’s quite tiny so would probably be easy to miss if you just grabbed a handful to look. Doubt you’d be able to see it in the auger hopper from standing. Grading you see it because you’re looking close and it shows up in dockage. If a grader missed it I would be worried 😂😂 Even if they don’t know what it is.

Can also depend on the grain too. Cleaner canola it’s easy to see. Barley it can almost be invisible.
                          Last edited by Blaithin; Oct 15, 2022, 09:18.

Comment

The Spypoint trail cams are a pretty easy way to have some surveillance. They have some nice maintenance free, solar charged models. Sends photos within seconds to your phone. You can pay for subscriptions that give you more features. Or just the basic free plan, is decent too.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              Grainfetti is made in MB

A on-farm business that is a great idea. Even sell decals to paste on the bins to deter thieves. 50,000 Bushels can be done with one box for $184. Cheap insurance.
                              Does Dockage go up .3% on 50,000bu?

Is the paper it’s on okay for selling into feed milling processing markets etc?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...