• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM faulty piston rings in 5.3V8

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM faulty piston rings in 5.3V8

Do you have one of these?

News
    GM Hit With $102.6-Million Verdict in Class Action Piston Ring Lawsuit
    A federal jury concluded GM sold 5.3-liter V-8 engines with excessive oil consumption, leading to premature failure.

BY BRIAN SILVESTRO
    OCT 5, 2022

General Motors was hit with a massive $102.6-million verdict on Tuesday after a federal jury ruled it allegedly sold engines with faulty piston rings to customers, leading to excessive oil consumption and premature engine wear, law.com reports.

The Legal Case That Could Be a Nightmare
    DiCello Levitt, the trial firm that represented all 38,000 members of the class action suit, said in a statement released Wednesday GM knowingly sold vehicles with defective piston rings and did not do enough to remedy the issue, despite learning of the problem early on. In 2010, GM recommended to its dealers that they clean the pistons of the affected vehicles, which proved ineffective. The company changed minor parts of the engine's design in 2011, though those changes did not fix the issue. The engine was eventually discontinued after the 2014 model year.

In this case, the trucks and SUVs affected were all equipped with the company's Generation IV Vortec 5300 LC9 5.3-liter V-8 engine. The verdict means each of the class members will be awarded $2700 in compensation.

Cheers

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...ction-lawsuit/

Do you have one of these?

News
    GM Hit With $102.6-Million Verdict in Class Action Piston Ring Lawsuit
    A federal jury concluded GM sold 5.3-liter V-8 engines with excessive oil consumption, leading to premature failure.

BY BRIAN SILVESTRO
    OCT 5, 2022

General Motors was hit with a massive $102.6-million verdict on Tuesday after a federal jury ruled it allegedly sold engines with faulty piston rings to customers, leading to excessive oil consumption and premature engine wear, law.com reports.

The Legal Case That Could Be a Nightmare
    DiCello Levitt, the trial firm that represented all 38,000 members of the class action suit, said in a statement released Wednesday GM knowingly sold vehicles with defective piston rings and did not do enough to remedy the issue, despite learning of the problem early on. In 2010, GM recommended to its dealers that they clean the pistons of the affected vehicles, which proved ineffective. The company changed minor parts of the engine's design in 2011, though those changes did not fix the issue. The engine was eventually discontinued after the 2014 model year.

In this case, the trucks and SUVs affected were all equipped with the company's Generation IV Vortec 5300 LC9 5.3-liter V-8 engine. The verdict means each of the class members will be awarded $2700 in compensation.

Cheers
    Is this commodity related? Grain truck got a 5.3 Tom?

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
      Is this commodity related? Grain truck got a 5.3 Tom?
      Yup we have a GM truck, more than one… with a 350V8 engine… never heard of this problem before…

Happy thanksgiving!!!
      Blessings and Salutations

Comment

I've had 3 5.3s since 2000.
        2 still on the place. Best engine ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
          Yup we have a GM truck, more than one… with a 350V8 engine… never heard of this problem before…

Happy thanksgiving!!!
          Blessings and Salutations
          350 was 5.7l discontinued in 2002 arguably the most popular gasser ever produced. Has nothing to do with said piston ring problem. Just curious are you scared of posting in Rural Issues?

Comment

What does Jesus have to say about 5.3L piston rings?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              I've had 3 5.3s since 2000.
              2 still on the place. Best engine ever.
              Yup a 5.3 in my Yukon… small block Chevys are an amazing power plant… crazy that GM would fight fixing their simple engineering problem …in court for a decade! Goodwill is hard earned… yet so easily destroyed

Comment

Interesting
                Cousin has one on these about 4 years old
                115 k
                Uses oil like crazy
                GM said they never heard of the problem

Comment

I guess rules of staying on the topic of commodities/economy do not apply to the annointed ones. Today its piston rings in 10 yr old Chevies tomorrow its Tupperware.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Interesting
                    Cousin has one on these about 4 years old
                    115 k
                    Uses oil like crazy
                    GM said they never heard of the problem
                    That’s a manufacturer’s famous last words, your the first to have that problem. I always add to that statement for that day. Guess I have been lucky so far with my two 5.3’s.

Comment

So pre 2010 years? We have an 09 with 430 000 km. Still going strong. Sort of.

Comment

2013 newest transportation on the place. Still good.

Comment

The $ 2700 compensation will not cover the cost of a replacement engine. That is the bad thing , but its better than no compensation at all.

Comment

Have had a few 5.7l gm’s over the years, and some 350’s and a 427, and pretty much had ford beat for years on simplicity and reliability in my opinion. Had a 5.3 in a 2011 and can’t say I disliked the engine but it wasn’t a 5.7. Far as I’m concerned gm started going to hell pre 2008 and never recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                              Have had a few 5.7l gm’s over the years, and some 350’s and a 427, and pretty much had ford beat for years on simplicity and reliability in my opinion. Had a 5.3 in a 2011 and can’t say I disliked the engine but it wasn’t a 5.7. Far as I’m concerned gm started going to hell pre 2008 and never recovered.
                              It was the 2010-14 5.3L IV Vortex V8 engine that had the oil piston ring issue, decided in this class action… just a heads up if oil consumption problem with small block in that vintage.

Seldom do these legal mechanical issues get this far… noteworthy for that reason Alone… GM spending huge goodwill… Ford seems much more concerned about owner satisfaction.

Deere has normally been very good about fixing mechanical problems… shows up in residual values of their equipment…

Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...