• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right back to drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right back to drought

Pretty obvious the way the crop year finished for moisture from mid July in south Central Alberta that it's dry, but had the excavator going on a project today in barley stubble and it's powder right from the surface down 4 ft. ,thinking that the chances of a repeat of last year's drought are very real in this area for sure unless there's a drastic change.

West central Alberta is beyond dry too. Going to start on some tillage tomorrow and it’s definitely going to be interesting.

Hold on to your hats for next year if the moisture situation doesn’t improve. 🍀

Comment

May and June was excessive flooding and cold, no significant rain since June. Haying season and grain harvest was sure nice though.

Comment

Down here in my corner of SW Sask. we have had 1/2 inch moisture since July 5th. that came in two showers a month apart. Dry weather is not going away in my area!

Comment

Anyone notice this drought is being ignored by politicians and farm groups that say they represent us?

It doesn't make the agenda on the ag committee in Ottawa.

All I hear is that farmers are passing their costs on to make food more expensive. That is a false narrative by the conservatives and I wish they would quit saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Anyone notice this drought is being ignored by politicians and farm groups that say they represent us?

It doesn't make the agenda on the ag committee in Ottawa.

All I hear is that farmers are passing their costs on to make food more expensive. That is a false narrative by the conservatives and I wish they would quit saying it.
            Seriously they are saying that ?
            How is it even possible to “pass on any cost” unless you are selling direct ?

On the drought ,no one cares harvest is essentially done and the headlines will only talk about the 20% that had a great crop , and completely ignore the 50% to 75% of western Canada still had drought reduced crop , some severe.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Seriously they are saying that ?
              How is it even possible to “pass on any cost” unless you are selling direct ?

On the drought ,no one cares harvest is essentially done and the headlines will only talk about the 20% that had a great crop , and completely ignore the 50% to 75% of western Canada still had drought reduced crop , some severe.
              Certainly true that the moisture in June and early July gave me more hay and straw for my cattle but last year we had some rain in August, this year we had none. In the end I produced less grain than last year and it is drier now than 12 months ago, no doubt in my mind!

Comment

Hurry up and sell this crop and give it away so we can go buy the ridiculous priced fert and glyphosate before it rockets higher. May as well stock up on fuel for next yr while you are at it before it gets out of control … actually it is already.

Big talk is recession …. It’s far past that now.
                It’s DEPRESSION!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                  Big talk is recession …. It’s far past that now.
                  It’s DEPRESSION!!
                  With whats coming in the economy, selling it all isnt such a bad idea.

Commodities could get smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post

West central Alberta is beyond dry too. Going to start on some tillage tomorrow and it’s definitely going to be interesting.

Hold on to your hats for next year if the moisture situation doesn’t improve. 🍀
                    Lots of cracks like that around here.

I also see a few grain piles on the ground. Wondering how the two mix, might drive by one day and discover the pile is a few feet shorter as a crack swallows it up.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Lots of cracks like that around here.

I also see a few grain piles on the ground. Wondering how the two mix, might drive by one day and discover the pile is a few feet shorter as a crack swallows it up.
                      Newfangled way of deep banding seed😎

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...