• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variable rain , soil types

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable rain , soil types

A lot of variable rain in this area this growing season . Where there was just barely enough to get a decent crop here you can see the huge variance in soil type and moisture holding capacity of the soil in the wheat stubble more than I have ever seen it .
    Need to get a drone shot . You can see it big time in at least a 10 mile radius here in everyone’s wheat stubble . The differences fade as you go NW as moisture was more available to carry the crop to finish . We seen some last year for sure but it was of course just a few low spots in a drought year .
    Combination of a very good wheat stand in early July then the taps turning off for 20 days is extremely evident this year .

Yup, the solonetzic always shows here.

Comment

Loam without heavier subsoil shows here. Clay loam subsoil shines in this area. Sandy loam pockets? Why it’s not hay or grass is far beyond me to say. So did strips of rain that were a mile wide. If you were in it, exceptional yields. If you missed by ten feet? Meh yields.

Comment

Just finishing combining barley here right now. We started out with ideal conditions.
        Then had a foot of rain in june. Then basically nothing since early July.
        Two quarters are perfect deep black topsoil on top of gravel which drains extremely well.
        One quarter is awful gray wooded clay badly abused no organic matter no internal drainage. As of late july, the stuff on the gravel looked like it would break all the records. The stuff on the clay was still yellow and stunted doubtful it would be more than single digits the acres.
        As it turns out, the gravel barely out yielded the clay with thin seeds that never completely filled and some completely burnt out areas. The clay made a come back like I've never seen before the good areas that didn't drown out are far better than the best parts of the gravel and the low spots are still making 60 to 80 with big fat blunt kernels that filled completely.
        We have enough variation of soil types and topography that something works out and something doesn't no matter what kind of weather we get.
        Not sure if I should be angry with mother nature for drowning out and drowning out our crops all in the same year, less hail, are grateful that we got enough rain to keep the lighter land growing even though it didn't rain after that, and enough heat for the rest to recover.

Comment

Most of my topsoil is the same but subsoil varies from mostly hard clay base with solonetzic patches, calcareous, and some gravel and sand base. Solonetzic and calcareous prove to be the worst when it gets dry. My subsoil ph is 8+ which probably sucks more than anything.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.