• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Tax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
    Simple question Chuck2, why if a carbon tax is the answer is there no federal carbon tax in the USA?!
    Simply because it’s nothing but a wealth transfer scheme

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Simply because it’s nothing but a wealth transfer scheme
      Its a punitive weath transfer tax scheme. The GST for its faults is fair.

Carbon tax penalizes resource producing regions and people living in the hinterlands and transfers their productive capacity to clueless commie soccer moms in Toronto.

Should have never got past the SCC. It should be rechallenged based on unequal taxation. Or just use the NWC and ignore it. Maybe Dannielle Smith will try.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        Simple question Chuck2, why if a carbon tax is the answer is there no federal carbon tax in the USA?!
        Politics. Much of the EU has a carbon tax so why do they have a carbon tax?

Subsidies are more politically acceptable.

But a carbon tax is cheaper and more effective because it rewards those who innovate and reduce emissions. I don't pay any carbon tax on my solar electricity for example. And the cost over 30 years will be much lower than what it will cost from Sask Power.

Alberta and Saskatchewan both have large emitters carbon tax programs but because they are a hidden price on carbon they don't attract as much political attention. Moe and Kenney are taxing all kinds of things but you aren't calling them commies? Why not?

There is also a massive transfer of wealth to the oil industry who are making record profits. I hope you are enjoying the high market prices for farm fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          Politics. Much of the EU has a carbon tax so why do they have a carbon tax?

Subsidies are more politically acceptable.

But a carbon tax is cheaper and more effective because it rewards those who innovate and reduce emissions.

There is also a massive transfer of wealth to the oil industry who are making record profits. I hope you are enjoying the high market prices for farm fuel.
          So in your opinion we should use the EU as a road map for energy policy? How are EU energy policies working out for their citizens? Let’s see, a newly elected right wing government in Italy. The ruling Conservatives in England polling at less than 30%. Olaf Scholz of Germany 28% approve, 66% disapprove. Extremely high energy prices in the EU, all related to their energy policies enacted in the last 20 years. If a carbon tax is so effective why doesn’t the EU have the cheapest and most abundant energy in the world?! Lol.

Comment

I don't pay any carbon tax on my solar electricity for example.
            Simply amazing.

So you didn't pay any CO2 tax directly or indirectly when you bought the imaginary panels? None of the energy intensive processes requried to mine and process and refine and manufacture and transport and install the panels and all the related mounting and hardware and wiring and electronics required burning any CO2 to necessitate paying and CO2 tax? They were brought from China on a sailboat, delivered to your yard/basement by horse and buggy, hoisted into place by a team of strong men using only hand tools, post holes dug by hand, etc. No hypocrisy at all in your statement.

You are likely partially right, considering that our regulations and tax policies have forced most of those steps offshore to places with no CO2 tax or environmental oversight. And as ridiculous as it is, our CO2 tax ends at our border, punishing local manufacturing, while rewarding foreign competitors, and therefore doing absolutely nothing to reduce CO2 globally.

Secondly, your imaginary unpredictable and unreliable solar panels are 100% backed up 100% of the time with reliable generation, in most cases, easily ramped up fossil fuel generation, all of which is subject to punitive CO2 taxes. So, not only you, but every other customer is paying CO2 tax on the fossil fuels being burnt in standby generation while your virtue signalling imaginary solar panels make their feeble unpredictable daily contribution. The net result being no notable reduction in CO2 output.
            Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 3, 2022, 09:23.

Comment

It is amazing how anyone can be that naive?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                It is amazing how anyone can be that naive?
                Thats not naive, its the signs of a broken mental state. Full on denial of reality.

Just like the soccer moms who are convinced they are getting more climate action rebate than they paid in.

Or the CERB gobblers who got a few thousand bucks to comply and then helped kick off 8% inflation.

Full on fantasy delusion land.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Simply amazing.

So you didn't pay any CO2 tax directly or indirectly when you bought the imaginary panels? None of the energy intensive processes requried to mine and process and refine and manufacture and transport and install the panels and all the related mounting and hardware and wiring and electronics required burning any CO2 to necessitate paying and CO2 tax? They were brought from China on a sailboat, delivered to your yard/basement by horse and buggy, hoisted into place by a team of strong men using only hand tools, post holes dug by hand, etc. No hypocrisy at all in your statement.

You are likely partially right, considering that our regulations and tax policies have forced most of those steps offshore to places with no CO2 tax or environmental oversight. And as ridiculous as it is, our CO2 tax ends at our border, punishing local manufacturing, while rewarding foreign competitors, and therefore doing absolutely nothing to reduce CO2 globally.

Secondly, your imaginary unpredictable and unreliable solar panels are 100% backed up 100% of the time with reliable generation, in most cases, easily ramped up fossil fuel generation, all of which is subject to punitive CO2 taxes. So, not only you, but every other customer is paying CO2 tax on the fossil fuels being burnt in standby generation while your virtue signalling imaginary solar panels make their feeble unpredictable daily contribution. The net result being no notable reduction in CO2 output.

I don't pay any carbon tax on the electricity that my solar panels produce and I use because there is no carbon emitted during generation. Is that hard to understand?

That must really worry you since you are so concerned about the planet running out of CO2 and it will stop raining if we don't keep burning coal! LOL

Making bonehead flat earther statements like that disqualifies you from being take seriously.

Are you still regressing to all the farm solar PV systems across Canada and on my farm are imaginary? Wow that really is an effective debate winning idea there A5. Have you been a member of toastmasters flat earth club for long?

As far as the amount of additional costs of the carbon tax for building, transporting and installing a solar PV system the amount is currently really small compared to massive run up of energy costs in the fossil fuel market and other inflationary influences. And the cost of solar PV continues to come down for utility scale projects.

Amortized over the 25-30 year lifetime it will be of little importance.

More bad news in Alberta for you A5....It looks like Trans Canada is building a solar PV project. You probably will get less rain now! Better get more crop insurance in your plans. LOL

TC Energy to spend $146-million to build solar power project in Alberta
                  Calgary
                  The Canadian Press
                  Published 1 hour ago
                  For Subscribers
                  1 Comments
                  Listen to article

TC Energy Corp. TRP-T +2.07%increase
                  says it is spending $146-million to build its first Canadian solar power project.

The company says the Saddlebrook solar project will be located near Aldersyde, Alta., south of Calgary.

It will have the capacity to generate 81 megawatts, enough energy to power 20,000 homes annually.

TC Energy says it has obtained all regulatory approvals and permits and construction is expected to be finished next year.

During the construction phase, the company says the project will involve about 140 workers.

Two full-time TC Energy employees will work at the facility once it is in operation.
                  Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 4, 2022, 08:07.

Comment

Meanwhile while hardworking tax payers have to deal with ever more tax load brought to you by the Liberals and NDP , their friends smiling ear to ear ….

Comment

Canadians need the Trudeau government to deal with the realities of skyrocketing fuel, food and mortgage costs

Finally the fog is clearing in sheepville

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        You need to tell that to all of my new neighbors. People can't seem to get out of the city fast enough especially this last 2 years. Work from home has made it viable. The controls that were put in for covid were the straw that broke the camel's back.
                        And from what I see and hear and what Realtors are saying the trend is similar in other rural areas. We just happen to have mountains and employment and recreation and relatively close access to amenities. I thought you were East or Northeast of calgary, I thought you would have the same situation happening no?
                        A new phenomenon in Corman Park just outside Saskatoon: plots are being reduced to less than 1/2 acre now. Before they moved to 5-7 acreages so they had privacy but our friends just moved into one of the newest where you can easily throw a tomato onto your neighbour’s deck. Just Sayin, times are a-changing.

Comment

Chuck, in recent threads, I can't help but notice that you have regressed to using a lot of gratuitous cursing and swearing in your responses to me. Is your Tourette's acting up again? Are you not taking your meds lately? What happened to the good natured Chuck who ended every sentence with LOL?

Is the stress of being wrong and losing every debate getting to you? Maybe it's time to put the keyboard away for a while and unwind.
                          Or are you just running out of constructive comebacks, and the incessant insults and the name calling just weren't having the desired effect, so have resorted to and even lower IQ form of communication?
                          If it is stress, please feel free to reach out, the agriville community is very supportive if you just ask. Other posters have brought this to my attention, they are equally concerned about your well-being right now.
                          Or is this just part of your strategy to try to get reinstated into the adult table? Do you think that swearing like a sailor makes you sound more grown up? It doesn't seem like a feasible strategy, considering the posted rules of the forum.
                          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 5, 2022, 00:12.

Comment

A post all about me A5, but nothing about the subject at hand?

Now you are concerned about my swearing? LOL. Lame and more lame!

You should be more concerned about the fact that you bring up absurd dumbass ideas about carbon dioxide getting low or that we need to burn coal to make it rain. Ideas that can't be backed up with any credible science.

And then you want to quickly change the subject to I am swearing too much? Oh "shit" A5 you really are getting more lame.

I guess the TC solar project must have thrown you further off your game?

Comment

A post all about me A5, but nothing about the subject at hand?

Now you are concerned about my swearing? LOL. Lame and more lame!

You should be more concerned about the fact that you bring up absurd dumbass ideas about carbon dioxide getting low or that we need to burn coal to make it rain. Ideas that can't be backed up with any credible science.

And then you want to quickly change the subject to I am swearing too much? Oh "shit" A5 you really are getting more lame.

I guess the TC solar project must have thrown you further off your game?
                              Chuck, you are gaslighting again, then get mad when I won't take you bait to defend something I never claimed in the first place. This just doesn't seem to be an effective debating strategy.

But since you seem to want to discuss this, why not.

You keep bringing up the topic of particulate emissions and their effect on weather/precipitation. If I read you correctly, you seem to be in denial about this human caused climate change, and this very real, very well documented science. Or do you not "believe in the science", to quote chuckChuck himself?

Do you have any peer reviewed research to prove your assertation that particulate emissions, such as from coal do not affect weather/clouds/precipitation?

Could one go so far as to suggest that you are now a human caused climate change denier?

Comment

A5.
                                No, I'm SE of Edmonton a ways.
                                Actually, this summer houses for sale were gobbled up by people moving out of BC. So you're right some rural population will increase. But not in the hinterlands and not by what we would call conservatives

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...