Test How much demand for malt? Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

How much demand for malt?

Test
Partners's Avatar Sep 19, 2022 | 16:02 1 Both local plants working on 2nd 100 car trains.
All most all bly graded malt.
8 bucks..
Over supply? Or will there be higher prices later..or dump it all now.
Opinions? Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Sep 19, 2022 | 16:16 2 Interested in opinions here.
In my area I gave up planting it from oversupply creating not enough spread from feed. Reply With Quote
LEP
Sep 19, 2022 | 16:41 3 Spring fd barley is $8 here. They would have to kiss my --- for me to grow malt again. I grew it for years until I got tired of the games. It is the last crop choice on this farm. Reply With Quote

• Partners's Avatar Sep 19, 2022 | 17:49 4
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    Spring fd barley is $8 here. They would have to kiss my --- for me to grow malt again. I grew it for years until I got tired of the games. It is the last crop choice on this farm.
    Here malt is 1.50 per bushel premium now..
    All was very dry so no issues with that. Reply With Quote
    Sep 19, 2022 | 18:22 5 yep , remember , barley was accepted , gone in the malt train , and when check came two weeks later, it was feed
    f k those f ckr=ers Reply With Quote

• Sep 19, 2022 | 18:25 6 with the showers today, we are working on creating more malt demand. every little bit helps. do your part people!! Reply With Quote

• Sep 19, 2022 | 20:51 7
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    yep , remember , barley was accepted , gone in the malt train , and when check came two weeks later, it was feed
    f k those f ckr=ers
    It’s amazing how some farmers get puffy chests over getting “malt barley” , it’s kinda funny Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 19, 2022 | 21:01 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Partners View Post
    Here malt is 1.50 per bushel premium now..
    All was very dry so no issues with that.
    Malt around Calgary $8.50, but feed price is $8. What value is uncontracted malt there? Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Sep 19, 2022 | 21:22 9
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    It’s amazing how some farmers get puffy chests over getting “malt barley” , it’s kinda funny
    1.50 premium x 94 b/a..
    Makes sense to me.. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Partners's Avatar Sep 19, 2022 | 21:22 10
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy View Post
    Malt around Calgary $8.50, but feed price is $8. What value is uncontracted malt there?
    8 dollars .. Reply With Quote
    Landdownunder's Avatar Sep 20, 2022 | 04:46 11 this doesn't answer your question but Australia home to me mighty fine wine wine reds in particular.

appears vine pulling about to happen.

two reasons less demand mostly spat with china

and the alcohol bad brigade demonising any one who has a few beers a week six pack at best here or winter a few reds but im deemed evil in 2022

ice users are less vilified and belittled. tis the way of the world

same thinking might reduce beer sales and demand
    Last edited by Landdownunder; Sep 20, 2022 at 09:41.
    Sep 20, 2022 | 05:27 12
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    It’s amazing how some farmers get puffy chests over getting “malt barley” , it’s kinda funny
    Drinking malt barley has made me a little puffy through the years. But I hope you guys keep growing it hardly any grown around here any more. Reply With Quote
    Sep 20, 2022 | 08:11 13
    Both local plants working on 2nd 100 car trains.
    All most all bly graded malt.
    8 bucks..
    Over supply? Or will there be higher prices later..or dump it all now.
    Opinions?
    I'm not sure either. Feed delivered to lethbridge in January/March is $8.80/bu but apparently trucking costs have climbed alot. Used to get it there for about $1/bu but I think it's closer to $1.5 from NE sask.
    Malt has climbed about $1 from its lows but last year the high was made in November? Eastern Saskatchewan has good yields this year but not sure about the rest of the prairies. I've sold half of mine, sitting on the rest for now. Reply With Quote
    Sep 20, 2022 | 08:32 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
    Drinking malt barley has made me a little puffy through the years. But I hope you guys keep growing it hardly any grown around here any more.
    No barley here this year , get tired of that game Reply With Quote
    Sep 20, 2022 | 08:41 15 We put half the barley in this year as last year. I like growing and selling malt most years. For the last couple years at least, it was apparent that buyers don't want to pay much above feed price. I expect next year's barley planted for malt will drop again, until the buyers feel the need to see more supply. I wonder if there is a disconnect between the malt users and malt companies. It wouldn't surprise me to eventually see a return to a decent premium when the bins empty. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 20, 2022 | 12:55 16
    8 dollars ..
    I was hoping that your second post about the $1.50 premium was something that the line company was adding to its malt price to buy a train of barley and you found out after your first post.

With the dollar dropping hard, malt and feed barley should be increasing in value. Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2022 | 23:31 17 Malt Barley bids went up to $8.75 here. Feed barley bids $8.15-$8.40 picked up. Guess the low dollar is really helping. Reply With Quote
    Sep 26, 2022 | 18:24 18 Do farmers contract directly with domestic malt house now or do they still contract through elevators and merchants for both domestic and export malt? Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Sep 26, 2022 | 22:25 19 Malteurope is direct to malt house. All goes to Winnipeg, trucking included. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Sep 27, 2022 | 06:03 20 Price went up a bit for malt yesterday Reply With Quote
    Sep 27, 2022 | 07:44 21 Have you seen the price of beer lately, barley should be $20 a bushel. Oh well, still a great drink. 😂 Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 27, 2022 | 07:45 22
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Price went up a bit for malt yesterday
    Is every malt house and every elevator priced the same or how is it priced these days? Reply With Quote
    Sep 27, 2022 | 07:55 23 Sold some $7 feed yesterday
    $700 ac , can live with that
    Feel sorry for poor buggers feeding it Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Sep 27, 2022 | 13:49 24 I am seeing $8.75 feed barley today, I expect it will continue to rise as our dollar drops. Reply With Quote
    Sep 27, 2022 | 20:29 25
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
    I am seeing $8.75 feed barley today, I expect it will continue to rise as our dollar drops.
    Might go higher yet after the states get thru their corn harvest. Reply With Quote