• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

positive progress

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

positive progress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Taiwan may follow Japan in reopening its market to U.S. beef.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In late December 2003, Taiwan, along with Japan and a number of other countries, closed their domestic markets to U.S. beef after a cow in the state of Washington was diagnosed with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Japan insisted that the United States test all cattle presented for slaughter for BSE before it reopened its market. However, last week, the United States and Japan reached an agreement whereby only beef from cattle less than 20 months of age will be shipped to Japan.

Now it seems like Taiwan will also reopen its markets to U.S. beef. “Taiwan has agreed in principle to resume imports of U.S. beef and beef products,” USDA announced yesterday. In 2003, Taiwan's purchases of beef and other ruminant products amounted to approximately $325 million.

“We are very pleased with this progress in yet another important beef market,” USDA Secretary Ann Veneman said after the announcement. “We are continuing our market opening efforts in the remaining key countries. Our goal is a return to normal beef trade as quickly as possible." Taiwan officials indicated that the required assessments and evaluations for trade to resume were nearing completion. The final step is on-site inspection of the major features and implementation of the U.S. BSE measures.”

A delegation of Taiwan experts will now travel to the United States for site visits beginning November 10. Dr. J. B. Penn, USDA Under Secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services, led a delegation that met with Taiwanese Health and Agriculture officials early this week. The delegation had also earlier held discussions in Japan and will visit other U.S. customer countries in the Asian region.

Yeah dream on - until such time as you develop a credable age verification scheme I for one don't anticipate US beef going to Japan. How many years do you think it will take to devise and implement such a scheme?

Comment

Well Grass farmer IF I was a betting man I would bet next year alot is gonna depend on two things #1 who wins the presidential election,if its KERRY all bets are off.#2 how long will it take to regain the export market.......good luck,HAY MAKER

Comment

Many of the feeders that have been feeding cattle for the Japan trade have been requiring birth info, country of origin ( including county and state pastured), feed additive, and shot info for several years-- They were requiring the rancher to fill out affidavits with info, a signature, and then they were tagging the calves to match the corresponding affidavits upon arrival at the feedlot. Most of these lots I dealt with were in Colorado- so they may have a step up on the renewed trade.

Comment

Right on! Keep plowing those markets open for all of us. I've always said Americans get things done! Whatever the problem is, when money is involved, they'll come up with a solution! I wonder how come our Canadian representatives haven't accomplished one damned thing?

Comment

Thanks for the info, Willowcreek! I was (maybe still am) very curious to see some kind of Japaneese-suitable ID program developed to ensure the exports move ahead. We all want a functioning import/export market and I agree with cowman, for whatever reasons, are governments seem totally incompetant in this area. Hope it happens for the U.S., I still seriously have doubts, I think they are/or are going to have a field day with these "negotiations" and you'll all get to feel the same frustrations that we have been. Not that I want you to...
            because it will just mean that we will get yet more of the same frustrations.
            Good to have you on Agri-ville Haymaker! Good luck!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...