• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CANOLA on bly stubble vs wht stubble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANOLA on bly stubble vs wht stubble

Last yr we split a field with bly and wht.
    This yr all canola.
    The line in the field this yr canola is yielding 3 b/a more on Last yrs bly stubble than last yrs wht.
    Any one else see this?

Originally posted by Partners View Post
    Last yr we split a field with bly and wht.
    This yr all canola.
    The line in the field this yr canola is yielding 3 b/a more on Last yrs bly stubble than last yrs wht.
    Any one else see this?
    I remember reading studies about crop rotation I believe in the old canola growers manual. It said the same thing. Long term studies found canola yielded better in barley than following wheat. Interesting.

Comment

Barley was always said to leave the the land mellow while wheat dries it out.

Comment

Bly>wheat>oats my experience

Comment

Barley more shallow rooted crop leaves a bit more soil reserve the following year ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Barley more shallow rooted crop leaves a bit more soil reserve the following year ?
            More mellow soil makes for a better seedbed too.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
              More mellow soil makes for a better seedbed too.
              Absolutely, and barely stubble always has more moisture at seeding time it seems

Comment

This has had interesting trends in the North east this year as well.

Our wheat and Oats on pulse stubble (faba and pea) not yielding as well as on canola stubble (significant difference)

I think we left more nutrients in the ground on the canola stubble.

haven't done any Canola on Barley vs wheat yet, but we grew a crop of wheat last year and our Barley was very poor. Wheat was significantly better last year vs Barley. Patchy rain also make it hard to realize any tangible evidence farm wide vs a side by side

Comment

Story here wheat on pea stubble seeing lower protein than on canola stubble.

Comment

Pea yields down last year and much higher than normal residual N in canola stubble from last year ?

Our soil tests showed fairly high N on canola stubble from last year . Expected after severe drought .
                    Pea crops last year here were dismal
                    Not much better this year other than a few areas

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Pea yields down last year and much higher than normal residual N in canola stubble from last year ?

Our soil tests showed fairly high N on canola stubble from last year . Expected after severe drought .
                      Pea crops last year here were dismal
                      Not much better this year other than a few areas
                      Most likely. N levels on my canola stubble were high, and being dry the peas probably didn’t nodulate much and used soil N instead.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...