Commodity Marketing

Tools

Green peas

Test
Sep 14, 2022 | 17:41 1 Who’s buying?
What’s the price? Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2022 | 18:55 2 Sold some for $12
Should be $15 Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2022 | 00:29 3 Market is basically $12/bushel del. Demand is poor though and isn't that deep either. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 15, 2022 | 06:45 4 We got $12 picked up Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 06:53 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dave4441 View Post
    Market is basically $12/bushel del. Demand is poor though and isn't that deep either.
    what are you seeing for canary dave? Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 10:50 6
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    what are you seeing for canary dave?
    We are 40 cents delivered to Lajord, Saint Gregor and Kindersley. Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 11:43 7
    Market is basically $12/bushel del. Demand is poor though and isn't that deep either.
    Are they concerned at all about the poor green pea crop in general? Or this simply a very poor demand thing ? Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 11:45 8 How was the green pea crop in Europe? Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 12:18 9 [QUOTE=furrowtickler;548695]Are they concerned at all about the poor green pea crop in general? Or this simply a very poor demand thing ?[/QUO

India used to take 50000 MT of green peas from us each year on an import process that simply increased the price internally in India to the point that their farmers started to grow green peas and grew 150,000 MT of their own production and now we don't have that demand. Our prices went to $15+ last year and demand to Latin America dropped. China is dead dead dead and they will buy at some point but as yellow peas work towards $10/bushel they are viewing green peas as expensive.

Last year the demand was based on USA pet food (china bought 1.257 MMT 2021-22 and 2.635 MMT in 2020-21 - this drop was due to pet food pricing). They have more product available in USA this year and we cant compete with the rail cost to get it into central USA.

Europe could buy more that is true, but they only bought 8776 MT last crop year. Normally they use peas for feed and likely find something cheaper and closer.

I am not sure what carryin is Aug 1 2022 but it wasn't zero.

I am all for bullish markets as a farmer but their is a reason why pea values in general have dropped and it doesnt hurt to be realistic about the issues surrounding this market.

High prices cure high prices. Very few farmers forward sold any special crops this year and this lack of sales will impact these markets this fall as well. There is no heavy line up of vessels in Vancouver to take crop this fall.

Hopefully I have shared enough data that you understand that this isn't my opinion to simply buy cheap grain it is the reality of our markets. We have a extremely small program today and often dont even have a price. Reply With Quote

• Sep 15, 2022 | 13:22 10 Excellent info , thank you 👍
    Green pea will be axed from rotation from now on Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 15, 2022 | 13:42 11
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Excellent info , thank you 👍
    Green pea will be axed from rotation from now on
    Furrow: SWW and SRW in your area out yielding peas; as you know - 2 to 1 in some cases
    You cant afford to grow peas that close to Husky...
    you can book $10.00 out to March/23 with Husky; $10.00 out to July/23 with Providence.
    Pea acres should see a massive drop in acres next year.
    Lots of guys saying screw it - I'm done with peas Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 15, 2022 | 13:45 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LWeber View Post
    Furrow: SWW and SRW in your area out yielding peas; as you know - 2 to 1 in some cases
    you can book $10.00 out to March/23 with Husky; $10.00 out to July/23 with Providence.
    Lots of guys saying screw it - I'm done with peas
    Exactly that 👆
    We had excellent pea seed from two years ago to use and 700 ac of near virgin pea ground … numbers still don’t work , with the huge added cost on seed treatment , screw it is right Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 14:07 13
    Lots of guys saying screw it - I'm done with peas
    What are they offering for 2023? Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 15:08 14
    What are they offering for 2023?
    Haven't seen any pricing past July 23.
    Are you posting 23/24 prices? Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 16:41 15
    Haven't seen any pricing past July 23.
    Are you posting 23/24 prices?
    No and that's exactly the issue. Trying to state what grower will find profitable for 2023 is impossible today. Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 17:10 16 Nipawin area was one of the original areas to adopt peas back in the early 70's.
    There was more peas here then than there is now.
    Many near me have gone to a 3 crop rotation. Canola,Oats,and Wheat.
    Probably more forage and clover than peas.
    Cattle and peas have left this country for most. Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 17:17 17
    No and that's exactly the issue. Trying to state what grower will find profitable for 2023 is impossible today.
    What part of 2 bushels to one bushel did you not understand?
    Or should I type slower? Reply With Quote

• Sep 15, 2022 | 17:36 18 [QUOTE=LWeber;548723]What part of 2 bushels to one bushel did you not understand?
    Or should I type slower?[/QUOTE

Yeah type slower so I understand. Reply With Quote
    Sep 15, 2022 | 18:30 19
    What part of 2 bushels to one bushel did you not understand?
    Or should I type slower?
    Don’t be an ass. Your good for our site Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

LEP

• ajl
    Sep 16, 2022 | 07:40 20 Not that I am surprised but it is kind of sad to see the pea market die as that is the only way farmer had to keep the greedy fertilizer companies in line. Actually the story is that the export grain business is dying as all our customers are broke. Chna's economy is failing too. Grow soft wheat to fuel the car but it does take N. I have grown peas sporadically and the crop I had two years ago contributed to my best ever wheat yield on one field this year. Last years drought canola did not remove all the N.
    Last edited by ajl; Sep 16, 2022 at 07:43.
  • 1 Like

• Sep 16, 2022 | 07:48 21 The good news is that the government funded protein plants will get help to import cheaper peas , probably from Ukraine , because thats the way liberals do things.

Subsidizing the secondary industries while leaving the farmers with nothing makes zero sense to me.

Its like our farm groups that see interest free CEBA get extended while interest bearing cash advances are to be paid back in under a year.

Some guys don't see the problems or refuse to, until it finally hits their farm after they have blown generations of savings on new paint.

OOPs , i have said too much. Reply With Quote
    Sep 16, 2022 | 08:06 22 This goes against what I remember reading previously, possibly on this site. That the drier parts of western Canada are unique in that they can grow comparable yields of pulses vs. wheat, whereas in our consumer countries such as India, with their climates, they could get far far higher yields of cereals vs pulses. So therefore it was cheaper to import pulses and grow their own wheat. And in the meantime, wheat prices have gone up much more than pea prices. Shouldn't the disparity be even more true now?

Or does the world just have a glut of pulses because of the high fertilizer prices, and in responses to last years high pulse prices, and this glut has to work through the system? Reply With Quote
    Sep 16, 2022 | 08:31 23 But we need you Larry... you will prolong OUR mental health... unfortunately at the cost of yours (hopfully not) 😉
    love the emails everyday Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Sep 16, 2022 | 08:32 24 If the market don’t want em , we ain’t growing them . That’s my analysis 🤓
    Greens have become finicky to grow , more susceptible to root rots compared to yellows and can be hard to move at the best of times . Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 16, 2022 | 09:27 25 Peas have not really made any great advances in yield since pre harvest and pre seed burnoff took the perennial weeds out? Reply With Quote
    Sep 16, 2022 | 10:05 26
    Quote Originally Posted by shtferbrains View Post
    Peas have not really made any great advances in yield since pre harvest and pre seed burnoff took the perennial weeds out?
    Gone backwards here by 15 bus over the past 8 years . Even on longer rotations Reply With Quote
    Sep 16, 2022 | 11:08 27
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Gone backwards here by 15 bus over the past 8 years . Even on longer rotations
    Amen…

Here is the Pulse Market Analysis:

Sep 16, 2022 | 11:11 28
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Amen…

Here is the Pulse Market Analysis:

From Alberta Pulse

Happy Marketing! Reply With Quote
    Sep 16, 2022 | 18:13 29
    We are 40 cents delivered to Lajord, Saint Gregor and Kindersley.
    Thanks dave Reply With Quote