• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola 60 bushel swath!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
    I am one hour east of Medicine Hat, north of the # 1 hwy. We had 30 bu/acre of straw and about 15-20 bpa of durum going into the tank. That was summerfallow. Pea stubble , best I did was 14 , most was 11-12. Straw is cleaner at least , not a weed lovers paradise like last year. One or two more inches of rain were needed , when you start off with an empty soil profile.
    Much the same in a big area east of here to Stoon and south .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Just a crazy guess ….

Red well below average
      Blue average
      Green above

In general ?? Minus pockets of good and bad ??
      Canola yields 10-15% below crop insurance average in first 5 fields. Later seeded will be worse. NE sask in the green zone.
      Last edited by Maver; Sep 10, 2022, 15:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Maver View Post
        Canola yields 10-15% below crop insurance average in first 5 fields. Later seeded will be worse. NE sask in the green zone.
        Well into the green zone here. It looked well above average is doing less than 10 year average.

There’s just a little something about real life experience and weighing the grain as it comes off the field that’s more accurate than satellites.

Comment

Originally posted by quadtrac View Post
          Well into the green zone here. It looked well above average is doing less than 10 year average.

There’s just a little something about real life experience and weighing the grain as it comes off the field that’s more accurate than satellites.
          That's funny. Did you also say that before you let go of the steering wheel on your equipment that is guided by satellites? I'm not getting GPS - I'm more accurate than any satellite. There something about real life experience feeling the wheel in your hands and turning back to see if you were straight on the fence line.

Can you drive equipment straighter than the Satellite guided GPS?

Farmers will have zero input on crop yields until STATSCAN calls in November for a December release. In 2024 or 2025 - there will be no farmer input for production estimates - only satellite derived NDVI.

I'd challenge check off boards to reverse Ag Can's Satellite decision for the farmers you represent; however, I've seen how effective the consensus representation is with the Export Sales Reporting bylaws that were passed. Doesn't anyone have real life experience at those tables?

If you give me your RM - I will tell you what the NDVI index said for canola yield at the end of July - but it won't be until tomorrow. My shift is over for today.

If you don't want to do it publicly - shoot me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
            That's funny. Did you also say that before you let go of the steering wheel on your equipment that is guided by satellites? I'm not getting GPS - I'm more accurate than any satellite. There something about real life experience feeling the wheel in your hands and turning back to see if you were straight on the fence line.

Farmers will have zero input on crop yields until STATSCAN calls in November for a December release. In 2024 or 2025 - there will be no farmer input for production estimates - only satellite derived NDVI.

I'd challenge check off boards to reverse Ag Can's Satellite decision for the farmers you represent; however, I've seen how effective the consensus representation is with the Export Sales Reporting bylaws that were passed. Doesn't anyone have real life experience at those tables?

If you give me your RM - I will tell you what the NDVI index said for canola yield at the end of July - but it won't be until tomorrow. My shift is over for today.

Farm in several RM’s and have had satellite guided equipment since they came out with it and wouldn’t want to ever farm without it.

Just saying what’s being observed in real life vs satellite imagery from JULY.
            July is quite awhile ago especially with the late crop in our area.

I’m aware it’s a pretty big world and our little area is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
            Just making a comment is all.
            Have a great evening.

Comment

Planter at 2.2 lbs / ac ..

Comment

Don’t think any of us here doubt you Larry
                You one of very very few that speaks the truth on many fronts and actually knows what’s going on
                Maybe just farmer scepticism on this fancy satellite tech . But reality I think is showing with big crop areas falling short on combine yields in many areas
                Some are great for sure , many just not there
                And frustrating as hell as inputs continue to skyrocket

Comment

Well maybe Chuck would doubt you but that is seriously insignificant …. LOL

Comment

Rm 290.
                    Can you check a 1/4?

Comment

Rm 456
                      SE-22-48-12w2
                      Combining it now

Comment

RM 437 NB
                        NE 3 45 16 W3 …. Just finished last night
                        NW 2 45 16 W3

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Don’t think any of us here doubt you Larry
                          You one of very very few that speaks the truth on many fronts and actually knows what’s going on
                          Maybe just farmer scepticism on this fancy satellite tech . But reality I think is showing with big crop areas falling short on combine yields in many areas
                          Some are great for sure , many just not there
                          And frustrating as hell as inputs continue to skyrocket
                          I think technology will get there eventually. I think it is at a stage similar to environment Canada's radar. Supposedly updated to the best available. We all have experienced situations where it was supposed to be raining according to the radar and not even close.

Comment

Not a shot at Larry or anyone, but the utility of any tech is massively overstated in every industry and that will include satellite remote sensing.

For example; there are literally thousands of quants working algos in various equity markets using infinitely more data points than something NDVI would give and they cant even get the pricing right.

If anything, tech like NDVI will just bring more volatility to the markets. Just another estimate that will need revision 3 months later.

Comment

The truck drivers hauling the grain to the bin can give you a pretty dam good reading on the yield. Ones out this way don't look overly tired from haulin grain. Wish I could have some of that water overage from this spring for the canola and oats-sorghum mix.

Comment

Finished our first field of canola last night. This was my best crop all year. Came up even. Did have some hail damage, very minor I thought, it did show up on the yield monitor though. Swathing it I couldn’t go much over 4 mph, wouldn’t go through the hole any faster on my Challenger swather. Long story short I was pretty optimistic after swathing it. Weighed it all through the cart, low 40s was all it yielded. So yes looked like 60, yielded just over 40.

I am curious, I had a pretty good view out the swather window and I was way off. Regardless how clear a picture you get from a satellite how are you going to be any more correct than I was? I was sure it would go 50 bushels at least.
                                Last edited by Hamloc; Sep 11, 2022, 08:25.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...