• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CANADA

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANADA

OPENING CANADAS BORDER

Canadian cattlemen aren't one bit happy with the U.S. as we haven't opened the border to live animals. Understandably they are in financial agony from the collapse of their cattle market but blaming the U.S. for their current misery is not fair. First of all, U.S. beef exports have been shut off because of an 'expletive' deleted Canadian cow. All animals confirmed with BSE on this continent were Canadian in origin. Science currently lays blame on lax Canadian feeding rules that allowed meat/bonemeal feeding to ruminant animals in Canada after the practice was ended in the U.S. No cow of U.S. origin has yet been confirmed with BSE. The Canadians screwed up and somehow or another they think we're unfair calling us protectionist.

The Canadian border is not closed to beef trade but U.S. beef exports have sure as heck been devastated by the Canadian origin BSE-positive cow found here. Nobody imported more beef this year into the U.S. than Canada, 522 kmt in the first six months of 2004, up from 422 kmt the year previous. That was up 23.6% from 2003, representing 29% of all U.S. beef imports. The U.S. border is not closed to Canadian beef. We are taking more beef from Canada because they can't sell it to anybody else so we're taking everything they can produce up to their kill capacity. The U.S. beef market is wide open to Canadian beef imports that meet BSE risk material and age restrictions(and some the USDA missed that didn't). U.S. beef exports, however, have collapsed from 1.26 mmt in 2003 to only 155 kmt in a first half of this year comparison. We're only selling 12% of the previous year's exports.

Why? Because of that 'expletive' deleted Canadian cow. The Canadians are mad because they can't send us more cattle without first guaranteeing that there aren't more cows like the one that ruined our market in Canada. U.S. beef imports for the period totaled 1.801 mmt. That's up 16% from last year. Our beef market is not closed. We're importing more beef than ever while our export market has collapsed. We imported 1.801 mmt beef and only exported 155 kmt. Canadians are going to sue us under Chapter 12 of NAFTA because we haven't opened our border to live animals.

Just what exactly do Canadian cattlemen expect of the U.S. industry? They ruin our exports, we're importing record amounts of Canadian beef while our beef market has been struggling to handle the current front end supply and we're bad guys because we don't want to let them dump live animals on an already depressed cash market before we've revived U.S. beef exports? They were the ones who destroyed our Asian export market, and they think having the patience to reopen it be before receiving full access to our cattle market in unreasonable. The financial stress they are experiencing has skewed their judgment. If I evaluate who should sue who, I believe it's the U.S. beef industry that's suffered damages from Canada. The NCBA wants the border opened to Canadian live imports. I think that we've done enough and the NCBA is insane. Until Asian export markets reopen we can't afford to produce more beef without serious market consequences here. Damaging the U.S. beef industry is not going to benefit the Canadian beef industry.

The U.S. beef industry is struggling to hold itself up and rising feedlot breakevens loom over the U.S. cattle market like the Canadian Rockies. The U.S. has treated the Canadian cattle industry fairly. They made their own mess, created their own disaster and ruined our export market with theirs. They want to get mad? Bring it on, we've got plenty to be mad about too. Cargill/Excel and Tyson/IBP are running rampant over the Canadian industry, banking exorbitant profits buying Canadian cattle at depressed prices exporting the beef to U.S. markets, draining Canadian feedlot equity, discriminating against R-CALF members with Canadian cattle on feed (a violation of Packers and Stockyard's Act here), while hypocritically claiming they too want the border reopened. And shut off their gold mine?

How much are they making? Enough to defy a contempt of Parliament order to keep it a secret. How much power do they have? Enough clout with Canadian politicians to cow-tow the Canadian government. If Canadian cattlemen think U.S. cattlemen are their problem, they'd better take a closer look as to who's screwing them...GOOD LUCK,HAY MAKER

Ya OK,Haymaker!!!! Never mind that both cows were born 1997 or before!!!!Was the Washington cow infected in Canada or in the US??? I don't know...and NIETHER DO YOU!!!!!
    Why don't you educate yourself and go to your own FDA's website and check out all the feed ban violations that have occurred in the US????....or do you want me to torture you all night....again??????

Comment

Can't make any more Hay stacking that Rcalf BS on the US sight so you thought you'd try this one hey haystacker.

Looks like you might have a tough time keeping membership if you try and shut out the Kobe beef with Rcalf's bogus science crap like you're doing with Canadian beef don't it.

Good Luck to you to.

Comment

To a large degree I can see Stouts side of things? If I was an American cattleman I would probably take the same position.
        However he fails to mention the fact that we have a deal that is supposed to sort these sort of things out? Called NAFTA? We all gave up a lot to cut this deal and it was supposed to iron out a lot of this garbage?
        But what do we see instead? The US continues to bend the rules with silly actions that don't have any merit what so ever, in order to delay and deter trade. Consider the lumber deal, cattle, steel, hogs, wheat etc.? Has America won any of these?
        The latest tariff on hogs is a prime example. The US is trying to imply that Canadian producers are over subsidized when the truth is the Canadian hog producer gets very little in comparison with his American counterpart! The same definitely goes for our grain farmers!
        America needs to stop treating us this way. We are your best, and maybe only, friends in the world.

Comment

AMEN to that Cowman !!!!

Comment

COWMAN I believe my recent post confirms the fact that US is treating canadians fairly.And that canada is liked by the majority of cattle men,I can tell you with certainty,if it would be any other country except......border would be closed indefinetly.......good luck,HAY MAKER

Comment

Can't make any more Hay stacking that Rcalf BS on the US sight so you thought you'd try this one hey haystacker.
              ..............................................nope just visiting,good luck

Comment

do you want me to torture you all night....again?????? ................................NOPE,good luck

Comment

Torture? Don't flatter yourself. To be tortured by that R-Calf propoganda would be to indicate that we cared what they have to say....good luck.

And have a nice day, eh?

Comment

Stout: The biggest problem with our cattle trade with the USA is this: Our industry is such a tiny part of a huge trade deal(NAFTA) that we can't operate in a vacum? Canada and the USA are each others biggest trading partners. To treat us this way on one commodity(actually several) is not fair and it violates that trade deal? In fact if our useless government had got off their butts and challenged the border closure right away, we would in all likelyhood have this problem solved?
                    Now whether you agree with the NAFTA agreement or not, in the big picture it was the best thing that ever happened for both our countries?
                    I personally believe we have a destiny to become one country someday and these irritating and senseless little trade barriers that the USA keeps throwing up are not helping that process one bit! If this trade dispute is being prolonged because our idiots didn't follow your idiots into a disastourous war, then that is an even greater shame!
                    Canadian cattlemen are no different than you. We put our pants on one leg at a time...just like you! We manage our cattle in a similar matter and we use the same genetics and practices. We are not some sort of radical liberals but probably have the sames values, hopes, and morals that you Americans do! Some Canadians are pretty angry with our treatment by the USA and think you are nothing but a bunch of greedy unprincipled animals! We all don't think that way...especially in western Canada!

Comment

that was a reply KATO not a statement,I have no intentions of torturing anybody anywhere even IF I COULD...good luck

Comment

COWMAN I agree with your post some never thought border should close ,some think its past time to open it some found this BSE bull sh*t annoying because it has taken our focus off of real issuses like the CAPTIVE SUPPLY REFORM ACT........good luck

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...