• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre harvest with airplanes….

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wind can’t be more than 20 K for a spray plane. The ones I know will not fly/spray in wind over that.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
      Saw canola swaths moving as helicopter turns over swathed canola !

Wow !
      Helicopters make their own sideways wind. If you’ve ever been near one, you will know what I mean. The pilots here are absolutely religious about wind speed and spraying near yard sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        It works excellent. So excellent that the drift onto my hay wiped it out. The drift onto MY trees I leave intact as a corridor for wildlife and hunting are dead. In a few years they will just be a tangled mess that animals will shun.

Folks. Watch the wind. Pay attention to the neighbors is all I ask. It’s not all about you. Some of us grow hay and actually appreciate and love nature. A few acres of dead trees fo you probably makes you chortle in happiness, but it matters to me, my family, my kids.

When it’s windy, spray around your yards. Thank you.
        Ya that's not good. We have acres sprayed from time to time and want to get along with the neighbors so expect care to be taken not to have drift problems. At the end of the day if there is drift damage then a reasonable payment for damages can and should happen. If the damage is on your land you should be upset if unwanted.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
          Helicopters make their own sideways wind. If you’ve ever been near one, you will know what I mean. The pilots here are absolutely religious about wind speed and spraying near yard sites.
          Absolutely agree after having a lot of crop sprayed with helicopter and watching
          Amazing control

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            I’m confused
            Wasn’t that you that said you couldn’t imagine anyone laying canola on the ground last week , or am I mistaken ?
            Yes I am confused on that too lol

Comment

I have been trying to kill trees for years with roundup both spring and fall and doesn't touch them. Not sure how drift could kill any amount of trees. Reglone would never harm a tree either.

Comment

I watched one here a couple days ago. 30 degrees and strong wind and plane high enough I would think a lot of that mist evaporated before it hit the crop.
                Used one one fall when it was really wet and now I have this job of picking dead fall off the border of the field every spring and fall. Won't do that again.
                Anyone else notice we don't have native Saskatoon anymore?

Comment

[QUOTE=dave4441;547965]I have been trying to kill trees for years with roundup both spring and fall and doesn't touch them. Not sure how drift could kill any amount of trees. Reglone would never harm a tree either.[/QUOTE

We planted about 3500 little trees in last 20 years. It has been kept black around them ever since. Round-Up mixed with Par 3 has been the go to chemicals. Trees have gotten sprayed many times from point blank range. They are all here and fantastic despite the abuse. Also try killing shoots and seedlings, no such luck. I guess it is possible that some other species might be hurt somewhat by a whiff but none of our trees have been affected. Trees suffer from drought and we’ve had many consecutive years but they have really perked up this year in this area with almost 11 inches of rain. In Manitoba there are rows and rows of willows in potato country. Those potatoes are sprayed at least 5 times a year by aircraft. There is no way to avoid occasional drift in the trees. They are solid and healthy.
                  Last edited by sumdumguy; Sep 6, 2022, 14:33.

Comment

Planes won’t spray herbicide around here. Had a field done with a chopper first time this year. Very controlled. Less off site risk than some farmers w high clearance fever for sure.

Easy to do perimeter with ground rig. I think aerial has its place, and helicopter looks like the way to go. Maybe drone some day.

Absolutely with yards around, neighbours land, trees-needs to be ample pre caution. As does when using a ground rig.

Comment

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
                      I have been trying to kill trees for years with roundup both spring and fall and doesn't touch them. Not sure how drift could kill any amount of trees. Reglone would never harm a tree either.
                      If I could post pictures I would. Three times on three different fields this has happened.

White poplar
                      Black poplar
                      Willow
                      All understory shrubs like hazelnuts, chokecherry, Saskatoon, dogwood, Pincherry, gone.
                      Last edited by Sheepwheat; Sep 6, 2022, 16:10.

Comment

Notice I said preharvest with planes. Not insecticides, not fungicides, not in crop weed or pressed burn. PREHARVEST.

I stand by my hope and wish for a ban. Planes going sunup to sundown in today’s wind.

Comment

20 years ago we got wiped out from the guy next door doing chem fallow, it took all the leaves of the older trees and killed off 1200 smaller trees, it’s kinda depressing when all the leaves are gone on August 4th. This year the same family took out 3 bee hives when the drifting hopper spray came this way. All done with a high clearance.

Comment

I cant kill trees either.

Comment

Roundup kills trees after the equinox
                              Guaranteed

Comment

They use Roundup in Forrestry to take the faster growing deciduous trees out of slow growing spruce or pine.
                                Product used to be called Release if I remember.

Coniferous trees have very high tolerance.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...