• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola swathing when 30 degrees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola swathing when 30 degrees

Am I the only one that waits for cooler temps than 30 degrees? Some extremely green stuff going down today.

Mmmm this is a tough question with 30 degrees across for the board for the next week.... no real easy answer. That being sajd we know 60 to 70% colour change is optimal for swath timing whether its a podshatter variety or not.
    I know a few neighbours are waiting and will cut all night...but whats the difference if your canola sits on the ground for 3 to 4 hours before getting 30 C on it? I dont really see the point in waiting day vs night UNLESS its 30 to 40% colour changem With this hot weather there isnt an easy answer but cutting GREENer canola in this heat is dumb. If its advanced to 60% colour change then heat of day doesnt really matter as much...

Comment

Wait for 80-100%, swath at night, send me the extra 3-4 bpa…..

Comment

Not quite sure why anyone grows non pod shatter anymore. With our sand ridges it sure helps with swath timing, just straightcut.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
          Not quite sure why anyone grows non pod shatter anymore. With our sand ridges it sure helps with swath timing, just straightcut.
          Mmmmmm price out the new invigors as of this week....

Some of the older ones at a decent price ( 241 C.) Dont look so bad!

Comment

Trucking all day in the 30 degree heat. Bite of food, now a night on the swather. Repeat. Difference between cutting at night and day, you have a chance the dew will save the ripe pods. Glad I only have 180 acres do.

Comment

Had to quit cutting at dinner today because of shelling. Swather going now and again early morning. Started May long weekend and it’s darn ready to cut. Crazy year. Started harvesting oats and now barley. Wheat hopefully goes later tomorrow or Friday.

Comment

Guys cutting all kinds of canola.
                Look at calendar..
                Some straight cut guys will be hard at it in oct.
                No right or wrong in this goofy yr.

Comment

Wind is bloody horrible. My guy quit cutting canola cause of shelling but we sent him to a less ripe chunk sheltered by wind. Hopefully we get done our canola by tomorrow. I have all 7565 in and it was touted as a straight cut variety lol. Still shells.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    Wind is bloody horrible. My guy quit cutting canola cause of shelling but we sent him to a less ripe chunk sheltered by wind. Hopefully we get done our canola by tomorrow. I have all 7565 in and it was touted as a straight cut variety lol. Still shells.
                    Should be good this morning at 4c and very dewy

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      You're doing the right thing by swathing 7565 !!! That's all I need to say about that !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...