• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earth Curvature Calculator

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Curvature Calculator

Accurately calculate the curvature on the ball Earth. Uses a cosine function, works for all distances in both kilometers and miles. Open source on Github.

A fun little tool to use when you are in the field this harvest. Pick a landmark in the distance 10 maybe 20 miles away and tell me if you see 266ft of curvature between yourself and the fixed landmark 20miles in the diatance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220830-080832_Incognito Browser.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	780296

I imagine it needs to be flat and treeeless for that to work!

Interesting though. I remember in school back when they taught practical science, they explained when the scientists watched ships set sail through their early telescopes, they noticed the mast would get lower and lower, hence helping prove the earth was not flat.

Comment

To see a landmark 10mi away it would have to be fairly tall or on a hill! The horizon is about 3.5 -4 miles away as see by someone standing on the ground, some weather phenomenon will increase that distance.
      Last edited by DaneG; Aug 30, 2022, 19:02.

Comment

Originally posted by DaneG View Post
        To see a landmark 10mi away it would have to be fairly tall or on a hill! The horizon is about 3.5 -4 miles away as see by someone standing in the ground, some weather phenomenon will increase that distance.
        The horizon at ground level?

Comment

I gps'd landmarks with my naked eye at 20+ miles like siast. My 60x kowa spotting scope almost double that distance.
          Last edited by biglentil; Aug 30, 2022, 20:35.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	986D3B66-04DE-43A1-B23E-157D94087EC4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	773722

Comment

I was actually thinking of the curvature of earth yesterday, my pasture is about 600 feet higher than the house which 2 miles away, anyway I can see Moose Jaw on a good day and with binoculars a lot further,
              I would have never guessed at 5 miles there’s 1667 feet in curvature.
              Last edited by TSIPP; Aug 31, 2022, 06:23.

Comment

But chuck calls everyone who disagrees with everything he spouts as flat earthers 🧐
                Guess he was dead wrong again

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...