• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Different

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think Different

I have been taking a break from Agriville.

However, a buddy and Ag industry leader whom I respect and admire, suggested that I share this post broadly.

So I will

The theme is never stop learning.

Here it is.

A free post.

https://klarenbachspecialcropsreport.substack.com/p/think-different

any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Comment

I'm enrolled in the university of U tube. So much I learn from Agriville as well, thank you very much.

Everything I do with growing, repairing, selling I rely on the internet.

Stock trading on the internet paid for most of the buildings on our farm and now building my eventual exit from farming.

The internet is the most important tool in my business and I have done well by this technology.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
        Sounds familiar. Mom bought us a used set of encyclopedias and the Canadian Encyclopedia brand new. Countless kids educational books, atlas's, dictionaries. I Hung out in the school library more often than the playground. At college, and then in University, I spent more time in the library than in class. Although that was never the. Intention when I dropped in for a few minutes.
        First computer was an outdated well used Commodore 64. And in hindsight, I expect Mom had to argue to even be able to spend that much, same with the used encyclopedias.
        I was late to discover the internet. Too busy working, Pitiful dial up. My WW2 veteran grandad was internet savvy many years before I'd even looked into it.
        But I made up for lost time. First, I used it to find a wife.
        From having never even talked to someone outside North America, to using the internet to communicate all over the world. At the same time, I was conversing with old or new friends in Australia, backpacking across Europe, backpacking across South East Asia, Britain, and Russia. Then started using internet to arrange travel to some of those places.
        Then I took up day trading online. I took high school calculus (wasn't offered in our small town k-12 school) online. Then I discovered I could learn from farmers all over the world, and put the info into practice.
        My eldest son just absorbs everything online, taught himself programming and multiple design programs, and electronics and physics, and all sorts of Cliff Claven type useless info. He used to be constantly asking me how things work, and why, now it is the opposite way around, with the difference that he is rarely stumped for the right answer. And if none of us knows, google always has the answer.
        And the sad part is, that there are people in this day and age who have access to all of this information from countless different sources and perspectives, and choose to ignore it and reinforce their own biases from the same sources, and one in particular happens to inhabit Agriville, much to our collective chagrin.
        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Aug 30, 2022, 08:25.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Thanks for sharing.
          Sounds familiar. Mom bought us a used set of encyclopedias the Canadian Encyclopedia brand new. Countless kids educational books, atlas's dictionaries. Hung out in the school library more often than the playground. At college, and then in University, I spent more time in the library than in class. Although that was never the. Intention when I dropped for a few minutes.
          First computer was an outdated well used Commodore 64. And in hindsight, I expect Mom had to argue to even be able to spend that much, same with the used encyclopedias.
          I was late to discover the internet. Too busy working, Pitiful dial up. My WW2 veteran grandad was internet savvy many years before I'd even looked into it.
          But I made up for lost time. First, I used it to find a wife.
          From having never even talked to someone outside North America, to using the internet to communicate all over the world. At the same time, I was conversing with old or new friends in Australia, backpacking across Europe, backpacking across South East Asia, Britain, and Russia. Then started using internet to arrange travel to some of those places.
          Then I took up day trading online. I took high school calculus (wasn't offered in our small town k-12 school) online. Then I discovered I could learn from farmers all over the world, and put the info into practice.
          My eldest son just absorbs everything online, taught himself programming and multiple design programs, and electronics and physics, and all sorts of Cliff Claven type useless info. He used to be constantly asking me how things work, and why, now it is the opposite way around, with the difference that he is rarely stumped for the right answer. And if none of us knows, google always has the answer.
          And the sad part is, that there are people in this day and age who have access to all of this information from countless different sources and perspectives, and choose to ignore it and reinforce their own biases from the same sources, and one in particular happens to inhabit Agriville, much to our collective chagrin.
          This is demonstrated with your posts which I enjoy reading.
          Last edited by wheatking16; Aug 30, 2022, 07:45.

Comment

The internet is finally what I thought it would be 20 years ago. Knowledge to the masses. A powerful thing . All those years fixing stuff with a parts book , if that or service manual.
            Still get stumped , but usually somebody else had the same problem somewhere.
            Power to the developing world . No need for schools and universities, just need a phone

Comment

My second spouse threw out my old World Books. Funny, now I miss them more than her.
              Internet is a miracle and is possibly a once a century game changer. But it is a disaster in so many ways for our children.
              Not it's fault. Just the way it is.

Comment

I grew up with a set of world book encyclopedias. Spent hours reading them and using as reference for school reports. Never had internet at school until junior high. After that we got it at home and it opened up my world. Remember Sask agriculture had a website with a chat group. That was as entertaining as this site. Too bad it was taken down cause there was some interesting discussions and information. Imagine some of you guys were on that back in the day.

Comment

In about 1990, a man came to our house with a set of 1985 encyclopedias for sale. Mama wasn’t sure. I was, and said we should buy them. So She bought them for a song and I read them cover to cover. Again and again. It was fascinating. If only my brain could store away all that information, or even a part of it. I always tease that I know the population of any country in the world from 1985. I credit my ability to usually win jeopardy and board games with a random facts bent, to those encyclopedias in the boxes in the water room in the basement. Problem is, I know too much useless information, and not enough info on what I could really utilize.

My kids read a lot. Once my youngest ran out of stuff to read. So I hauled the encyclopedias up and told him read this. In the age of the internet, it doesn’t have the same attraction to kids now a Days it seems. Understandable.

I have fixed many things thanks to thoughtful you tubers who put their videos up. Rock auto, Amazon, and the likes are why we have forty year old vacuum cleaners that still work, vehicles that are relatively cheap to repair, and a son who is mechanically and electronically gifted beyond words.

I loved those old books. And I appreciate the inter web. In different ways. There is something though about a book, a fire in the fireplace, and hot coffee on a cold winters night that the internet doesn’t supply.

Comment

In about 1984 I went up in the attic of our old house and brought down a set of encyclopedias and I was actually reading out atoms, did you know that it’s impossible to split an atom? Well in 1912 when those big books were written it was impossible..... good thing that the science is settled......

Comment

That’s the funny thing anyone , with even half a brain , would know that the science is never settled
                      Otherwise mankind would not progress
                      Scientists once said the earth was flat
                      Now it’s only chuck that thinks it is ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...