• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alfalfa?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa?

Wow this site is dead today. Cloudy and damp here. Must be sunny everywhere else?

Anyway. I seeded new hay in early July, and since then we scarcely got any rain. When I seeded it I slipped it in shallow and the forecast was 100% chance of rain. Well, it didn’t rain a drop, and the seed sat there until august 14 I believe when we got an inch and change with a zero chance of rain forecast.

Went and looked the other day, good emergence.

What I am concerned about is will it grow enough of a crown and harden off for winter in time? Just curious what to expect. Thanks. Wow, sun poked out, maybe I can bale after all.

It will be fine, alfalfa and sweet clover are virtually all root growth the first year. Best thing for sanity is to never look at a newly seeded hay/alfalfa field until the next spring, haha.

Comment

As long as it’s up 6 weeks before a killing frost you should be good.

Comment

Thanks. I know the textbook ideal and I’m pushing that. Wanted some real life experience. I do feel better now.

Comment

What are people’s thoughts on cutting second cut hay? Have always followed the don’t cut between august 1st and September 15th rule. But the hay is starting to get old because we have had lots of heat and no rain.

Do I just close my eyes and cut, or wait it out to the 15th?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
            What are people’s thoughts on cutting second cut hay? Have always followed the don’t cut between august 1st and September 15th rule. But the hay is starting to get old because we have had lots of heat and no rain.

I’m still cutting my first. The rule I heard of is no cutting after august 15th. Other than that I can’t say I have a clue.

Comment

We are going to leave it for snow-catch, there’s too much hay in the countryside now.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post

Whe the Alfalfa Dehy's operated here the cut 24/7 from about June 20th till the leaves fell off after a frost.
                They contracted for 3 yrs if I remember and might continue to harvest it if the stand was healthy for 5 yrs.
                They saw extended stand life and yield if they fertilized with about 200# of a 16-20-0-14 blend. Potash was cheap then and 60# seemed to help winter hardiness.
                Depends how long you want to keep high % Alfalfa in the stand.
                I see in my next paddock the bit of Alfalfa there is in full bloom just the way I like it. Bunch of heifers will move there about Wednesday.
                Grazed the previous one to Aug 21 and Alfalfa regrowth is about 4 in+ now.
                Alfalfa always peters out in this country.
                Graze it if you can when the grass starts to take over.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                  Whe the Alfalfa Dehy's operated here the cut 24/7 from about June 20th till the leaves fell off after a frost.
                  They contracted for 3 yrs if I remember and might continue to harvest it if the stand was healthy for 5 yrs.
                  They saw extended stand life and yield if they fertilized with about 200# of a 16-20-0-14 blend. Potash was cheap then and 60# seemed to help winter hardiness.
                  Depends how long you want to keep high % Alfalfa in the stand.
                  I see in my next paddock the bit of Alfalfa there is in full bloom just the way I like it. Bunch of heifers will move there about Wednesday.
                  Grazed the previous one to Aug 21 and Alfalfa regrowth is about 4 in+ now.
                  Alfalfa always peters out in this country.
                  Graze it if you can when the grass starts to take over.
                  Same here. Took the first and only cut around 8th of July. Because it was so warm it cured in 5 days with no rain. Now it’s blooming and thick again. I won’t take it though cause I want snow catch and some ground cover. Been trying to keep the cows off as much as possible but have enough other crap to graze on same field. Fun of farming in hills and slough country. I’ve seen alfalfa freeze kill from early spring frost when ground is bare.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...