• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Chuck?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
    Have to give guys credit for buggering with solar panels. I kind of liken it to people who bought outdoor boilers. Whether they burn wood, coal, bales, or horse shit it all looks great at the outset but the reality of the maintenance and repairs which arise after a time get old fast.
    Gas boilers and furnaces need maintenance and replacement too.

So let us know when you find a system that doesn't cost anything or require a bunch of labour.

So far, after several years I haven't had a problem with our solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      So you aren't happy with the deregulated market supply and demand pricing for commodities and energy? I thought that's what you free marketers wanted most of all! LOL

I would be happy to get 44 cents a kwh for peak prices from my solar panels because the solar supply peaks are fairly close to peak air conditioning demand in the summer and in southern states. That would make them a really good investment.
      What you obviously missed with my post is that Alberta’s electricity generation system is transparent. You can see what each generation source is able to provide at different times of day and different times of year up to the minute. You have provided no examples of this transparency from your government owned system in Saskatchewan. What this transparency also shows as I have pointed out, switching to a lower C02 emitting grid based on solar, wind and natural gas increases not decreases the cost of electricity to the consumer! Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        What you obviously missed with my post is that Alberta’s electricity generation system is transparent. You can see what each generation source is able to provide at different times of day and different times of year up to the minute. You have provided no examples of this transparency from your government owned system in Saskatchewan. What this transparency also shows as I have pointed out, switching to a lower C02 emitting grid based on solar, wind and natural gas increases not decreases the cost of electricity to the consumer! Lol!
        Certainly with the price of natural gas rising this is true. The good thing about solar and wind is the fuel price is zero and doesn't go up or down.

There will be additional system costs with integrating renewables into the system. But the generation costs of wind and solar are very competitive if not lower than competing new fossil fuel sources. That's why they re attractive investments in Alberta.

Comment

Certainly with the price of natural gas rising this is true. The good thing about solar and wind is the fuel price is zero and doesn't go up or down.

There will be additional system costs with integrating renewables into the system. But the generation costs of wind and solar are very competitive if not lower than competing new fossil fuel sources. That's why they re attractive investments in Alberta.
          Actually Chuck2 renewables are attractive investments in Alberta because solar farm owners can contract directly with large end users like Amazon(who want to greenwash their businesses) and then you throw in carbon credits(a government created imaginary market) and your off to the races. Essentially Alberta has the most open electricity market in Canada, that is why renewables are being installed here.

Comment

Originally posted by hamloc View Post
            actually chuck2 renewables are attractive investments in alberta because solar farm owners can contract directly with large end users like amazon(who want to greenwash their businesses) and then you throw in carbon credits(a government created imaginary market) and your off to the races. Essentially alberta has the most open electricity market in canada, that is why renewables are being installed here.
            bingo!

But why does Amazon need to greenwash?
            Last edited by shtferbrains; Aug 21, 2022, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
              Hamloc, normally your contributions to these discussions are impeccable. But by referring to wind and solar as lower CO2, you are only perpetuating the same misinformation which ignoramus such as Chuck believe.
              Evidence from anywhere in the world which has increased their solar and wind has clearly shown that CO2 emissions if anything go up. Which should be obvious by the fact that costs also go up, a direct reflection of the amount of actual fossil fuel energy required to implement and backup and build the unreliable solar and wind. Unless of course Chuck finally finds an example of some place in the world where implementing solar and wind have actually not resulted in higher costs for energy. Not holding my breath for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                Hamloc, normally your contributions to these discussions are impeccable. But by referring to wind and solar as lower CO2, you are only perpetuating the same misinformation which ignoramus such as Chuck believe.
                Evidence from anywhere in the world which has increased their solar and wind has clearly shown that CO2 emissions if anything go up. Which should be obvious by the fact that costs also go up, a direct reflection of the amount of actual fossil fuel energy required to implement and backup and build the unreliable solar and wind. Unless of course Chuck finally finds an example of some place in the world where implementing solar and wind have actually not resulted in higher costs for energy. Not holding my breath for that to happen.
                What I would say in my defence AB5, using the U.S.A. as an example, switching from coal to natural gas in the U.S.A. has lowered their C02 emissions from electrical generation according to government sources.

Comment

It's pure fiction that A5 likes to spin that renewable generation sources don't and can't reduce emissions.

If I produce 35,000 kwh on average from my solar system that I use on farm and the surplus goes back into the grid displacing other fossil generation sources how would that increase emissions?

If wind and solar are producing, then gas and coal can be turned down burning less fuel during that period.

Several companies are looking at using wind power in Newfoundland top produce ammonia/hydrogen. Energy storage for renewables. Wait for it A5 is going to tell us it won't work and it won't reduce emissions. LOL

Why Newfoundland is betting big on wind and hydrogen

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-newfoundland-wind-hydrogen-investment/

The relentless winds that buffet the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador have caught the attention of renewable-power developers who want to harness them and use the clean electricity to produce hydrogen, with Germany as a potential customer.

They believe the sector can become a driving force of the province’s economy, pointing to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s scheduled meeting in Stephenville, N.L., this week to sign a hydrogen agreement.

Mr. Scholz landed in Montreal on Sunday for a visit that also includes a stop in Toronto. He is being accompanied by Vice-Chancellor Robert Habeck, who is in charge of the country’s energy file.

The province lifted a moratorium on the construction of wind farms earlier this year and on July 26 issued a call for proposals to put turbines on Crown lands. Already, more than a dozen project proponents have reached out to the government.

Most are interested in tying wind farms to hydrogen production, Minister of Industry, Energy and Technology Andrew Parsons told The Globe and Mail in a recent interview.

Comment

So Germay is coming half way around the world to invest in offshore wind energy to produce Hydrogen in iceberg alley?

Will there be some local gas contacts involved?

Comment

https://twitter.com/BrianGitt/status/1560607697514311680?t=uLdH52StFXTCYN2g6bHM7g&s=19

This Twitter thread says all that needs to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                        So Germay is coming half way around the world to invest in offshore wind energy to produce Hydrogen in iceberg alley?

Will there be some local gas contacts involved?
                        What the media forgot to tell you is there is no hydrogen infrastructure here or in Germany and if it was to commence this very minute to build it, its at least 5 yrs away.

Comment

If Germany is coming to Donkeyville for energy help, they are sorely misguided. They are barking up the wrong tree, better try Pakistan. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            What the media forgot to tell you is there is no hydrogen infrastructure here or in Germany and if it was to commence this very minute to build it, its at least 5 yrs away.
                            The media doesn't forget to tell you anything.
                            They just rewrite it from the PMO news release with no research or questions.
                            Lazy journalism not worth reading.
                            Don't have to leave their apartment.

Comment

They are “working” from home?

Comment

It's pure fiction that A5 likes to spin that renewable generation sources don't and can't reduce emissions.

If I produce 35,000 kwh on average from my solar system that I use on farm and the surplus goes back into the grid displacing other fossil generation sources how would that increase emissions?

If wind and solar are producing, then gas and coal can be turned down burning less fuel during that period.

Several companies are looking at using wind power in Newfoundland top produce ammonia/hydrogen. Energy storage for renewables. Wait for it A5 is going to tell us it won't work and it won't reduce emissions. LOL

Why Newfoundland is betting big on wind and hydrogen

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-newfoundland-wind-hydrogen-investment/

The relentless winds that buffet the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador have caught the attention of renewable-power developers who want to harness them and use the clean electricity to produce hydrogen, with Germany as a potential customer.

They believe the sector can become a driving force of the province’s economy, pointing to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s scheduled meeting in Stephenville, N.L., this week to sign a hydrogen agreement.

Mr. Scholz landed in Montreal on Sunday for a visit that also includes a stop in Toronto. He is being accompanied by Vice-Chancellor Robert Habeck, who is in charge of the country’s energy file.

The province lifted a moratorium on the construction of wind farms earlier this year and on July 26 issued a call for proposals to put turbines on Crown lands. Already, more than a dozen project proponents have reached out to the government.

Most are interested in tying wind farms to hydrogen production, Minister of Industry, Energy and Technology Andrew Parsons told The Globe and Mail in a recent interview.
                                A couple of thoughts Chuck2. I just read an article on Reuters, posted 2 days ago, that shows 62% of Germans think Olaf Schulz is doing a bad job of governing. Latest polling shows Justin Trudeau has an over 50% disapproval rating. From that standpoint it is certainly fitting that they both are going to be in Newfoundland promoting putting up windmills to produce hydrogen to export to Germany, that makes a lot of sense(cents) doesn’t it?! The question is, who are these two leaders working for? It certainly isn’t the people of their respective countries!!

As for our previous conversation, on thing that Alberta’s transparent(Saskatchewan’s apparently isn’t) electricity generation system has proven is shuttering coal increases the cost of electrical generation, it is that simple!!
                                Last edited by Hamloc; Aug 23, 2022, 11:44.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.