• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Good Morning it's been a great week of heat then cooler, really cooler then heat and maybe rain this morning kind of a week. The cereals are moving ahead real nice and I would say almost caught up to normal time. The dog in the hunt is canola with lots just finishing flowering or just starting on the odd field.

Ottawa has a new gun ban that the criminals are laughing at, now possession is a slap on the wrist but for law-abiding gun owners, it's taking all our guns away. Liberalism is a mental condition.

Ok, here we go with the Crop Report.

Wheat is starting to turn fast on early seeded fields. The last seeded are filling and changing colors.

Fun yield calculation

1. Count the number of heads in an SQ Meter ex 728
    2. count number of kernels in the average number of heads ex 36
    3. Now use the calculation factor for weight etc and divide by 327

80.15 now you need to do in about 6 spots per quarter.

another example

520x28 div 327 = 44.53 BPA

Fuz is showing up on fields not sprayed. No Aphids yet or other bugs, I would say in two weeks fields will be getting shut down then 14 days till harvest so combines will be rolling on wheat in 28 days or Sept 7th. Wheat yields will be large in our area.

Durum is starting to show big signs it doesn't like water. I remember spraying twice and am still pissed that it didn't make the grade. Time will tell but if the humidity and rain continue yes it will have issues. Yield will be down.

Barley. Wow wow and double wow. Late seeded look like they are under pivot and really thick, they need time but it's barley so can make. Early are turning and have big heads but thinner. Harvest will begin in three weeks for malt. Yield potential is big for our area.

Peas are showing signs that guys should follow the 8-year rule and maybe not push rotation. All chemicals to control the problem don't work. Boboo can shove it up her ass with the thought that seeding 1/3 pulse will save the world. We can't control one disease that's been around for years. The yield on some fields will be great and on others, WTF happened? Few fields seeded early will get shut down before the weekend. harvest in 10 days.

Lentils are getting sprayed for shutdown on a few early-seeded fields. Lots of dead or drowned-out places. Yield will be better than last year but lots of areas look to produce not much.

Flax is done flowering and looks really good in just about all fields.

Oats are king this year and I don't even want to guess some yields, even the really late ones look good.

Canary seed is trying to stand back up after all the rain and only thin fields have done that. Thick are thick and well just thick.

Canola is just about done flowering in our area, odd late ones are still flowering in a few fields but there still is the odd field that's full of flowers or just thinking of shutting down. Those late ones need a month after flower to make it. So yes yield could be big but one cold night and it's game over. Not doing yield yet till Sept 1 time frame with no frost.

The Cowboys are picking bales and doing a second cut. lots and lots of bales this year. Pastures still look good.

So in a nutshell it could be a bin buster for our area, but I'm still not going there as we are later than most areas, and one frost we are ****ed.

I did do some driving this week as I am on a mission to get a few more old tractors for our collection. So far I bought a real nice styled D with starter and Pto and a Diesel 3020, I lost the diesel gas but am still the top bidder on a Diesel 4020. Missing a 5020 and 6030.

Observation is some areas like Tisdale are nice but not the best I have ever seen in that area. Late seeded into mud did a fast flower and end. That's not a yield bin buster.

It will be an Average crop at this rate for Sask. So Sask Ag and all the others its better than last year but not a record breaker as the heat that's helping to push a late crop is also taking yield.

Have a great day enjoy this time of year because winter sucks. Stay safe.

Golf is fun

Comment

The crop in our area that is all over the map is canola. The crops that germinated decent and avoided the worst hail are done flowering and look amazing. Then we have the crops with spottier germination that still have streaks of flowers through them, these crops have filled in but the yield will just be average to slightly above. Then we have the crops with more hail damage. Seem to be getting more flowers instead of less. Will need lots of time to finish. Overall at this point it looks like canola will certainly out yield last year.

Cereals certainly look good, it all comes down to how much hail damage. We are silaging a hail damaged wheat crop right now, looks like it is going close to 6 ton per acre. Viewfield wheat, I was surprised, I thought it would go closer to 4. Forecast has lots of sun and heat, crops finishing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        Fun yield calculation

1. Count the number of heads in an SQ Meter ex 728
        2. count number of kernels in the average number of heads ex 36
        3. Now use the calculation factor for weight etc and divide by 327

80.15 now you need to do in about 6 spots per quarter.

another example

520x28 div 327 = 44.53 BPA.
        If ur getting 68 heads a square foot and 36 kernels average per head, ur in for a surprise. Unless ur using 20 for thousand kernel weight…..

Comment

Cereals look good.
          All canola varieties have tall plants sticking out with very few pods or no pods..
          Yields will be a surprise..

Comment

After a May and June of flooding, and coming close to being unable to seed, the tap turned off. Soil texture showing up. Lighter land suffering some, better land really good.

Pastures have shut down nearly, hay regrowth is very slow. Yield of first cut is fantastic. When I say the tap shut off, I mean the meaningful rains quit. We still get lots of tenth rains, enough to keep humidity up and haying a wicked challenge.

One more inch a couple or few weeks ago would have sealed a bumper crop. I’d say more or less average yields for here. Some better, some worse. The dryness pushed crops along to the point where they aren’t nearly so late as a general June seeding date would indicate. If we had last years heat, it would have been worse.

All in all, decent in this area. Not the bin buster it looked like a month ago, but not as scary late as it looked like either. Still not home free for frost for some time, but better than it was.

Comment

Swathing Timothy 12 days later than last year.
              Much heavier crop than last year. Really impressed with the amount of water Timothy can grow and thrive in!
              With the amount of rain we had in May and June this field would have had huge drowned out areas if the normal field crops.

Comment

Just got this …

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                  Swathing Timothy 12 days later than last year.
                  Much heavier crop than last year. Really impressed with the amount of water Timothy can grow and thrive in!
                  With the amount of rain we had in May and June this field would have had huge drowned out areas if the normal field crops.
                  I throw some Timothy in with my hay blends. In the low areas that drowned out, the only thing growing there is Timothy. Exactly why I throw it in the mix. It can take flooding like almost nothing else except reed canary maybe.

Comment

Timothy is king of slough bottoms. This spring I broadcasted Timothy alsike and red clover on dried back edges of sloughs so foxtail might have competition. Seems to be taking after we had some big rains and sloughs came back up. Last year just about everyone worked down wet spots in hopes we’d regain acres lost to 18 years of a wet cycle. All it took was some snow in the winter and a couple big rains and it was a waste of time and fuel prepping the flood outs. Hence I spread Timothy and alsike.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Just got this …
                      [
                      Flea beetles, then grasshoppers and now moths...I just cant

Last yr durum ran 40, the yr before it ran 70. This yr will be something in the mid 50s I imagine.
                      Last edited by jazz; Aug 11, 2022, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        Flea beetles, then grasshoppers and now moths...I just cant

Last yr durum ran 40, the yr before it ran 70. This yr will be something in the mid 50s I imagine.
                        By your durum numbers we should produce a 5.5 MMT crop. That should keep a lid on prices.

$12 durum (maybe) and $1200T fert …. Priceless
                        Wheat isn’t going to be any better.

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                          By your durum numbers we should produce a 5.5 MMT crop. That should keep a lid on prices.

$12 durum (maybe) and $1200T fert …. Priceless
                          Wheat isn’t going to be any better.
                          I purposely left lentils out of the rotation in 2022 just in case fertilizer is high again next yr.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            I purposely left lentils out of the rotation in 2022 just in case fertilizer is high again next yr.
                            As Gormley would say “I like the way you think”.

These fert prices could be what we will be faced with for awhile. We showed the retailers we were happy to pay for it last yr, so why not hose us again?

Comment

Yesterday the talk on the radio was that Europe was burning up with heat and drought and wildfires.
                              Shouldn’t that support prices?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...