• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And Now For Something Completely Different

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Now For Something Completely Different

Today's newsletter:

https://klarenbachgrainreport.substack.com/p/anchoring-bias

Anchoring Bias

“I am not selling Durum until the price returns to $22 per bushel.”

It was January. I was having a conversation with a Durum grower.

The ‘fundamentals’ remained bullish, with supply levels dropping and the new Durum harvest months away.

Every man, woman, child and dog was bullish on Durum wheat prices.

“The price will return to the highs.”

It was an expectation.

Meanwhile, the parabolic move from July had experienced a correction and showed signs of exhaustion, triggering my January Sell Signal.

The price of Durum wheat was below the market high; however, the grower had anchored his price expectations to that level.

The Investopedia website provides the following anchoring definition:

“Anchoring is a cognitive bias in which the use of an arbitrary benchmark such as a purchase price or sticker price carries a disproportionately high weight in one's decision-making process; as described by Investopedia.”

The Durum grower’s anchoring bias results in holding the commodity that has lost value as they have anchored their price target to the recent high price rather than follow the technicals.

As the price continues lower, the grower is likely to experience many emotions, including complacency, anxiety, denial, panic, anger and eventually depression.

Anchoring bias occurs with all market participants, including those in the stock, commodity, and housing markets.

In the case of the Durum market, the post-CWB high price was approximately $10 per bushel in the 2014-15 crop year.

This past week, some growers were selling old crop Durum for $12.50 per bushel.

This selling price is $10 per bushel below the market peak giving back the equivalent of the 2014-15 high.

The ramifications can be expensive.

Before we chastise the grower, consider that we all experience anchoring bias in our lives.

I struggle with anchoring bias.

Do you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CWAD Weekly no MA (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	780281
    Last edited by wheatking16; Aug 9, 2022, 14:10.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone that says told you so, if I remember correctly you said to sell before the big rally even happened. Show some maturity and say you are sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

Comment

Fact, you will never see those prices again in your life time.

They had nothing to do with supply and demand, the lid was off inflation (like what happened in the 1970s) and money rushed into commodities as a hedge. Now its rushing back out.

My strategy is bin it and dump it immediately this fall.

Not booking any fertilizer either, will take my chances on that being lower next yr too.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Fact, you will never see those prices again in your life time.

They had nothing to do with supply and demand, the lid was off inflation (like what happened in the 1970s) and money rushed into commodities as a hedge. Now its rushing back out.

My strategy is bin it and dump it immediately this fall.

Not booking any fertilizer either, will take my chances on that being lower next yr too.
        no offence , but look how that panned out last fall , took a year to get back down to those prices of last fall

Comment

Last fall was a cake walk, grain was standing up and dry as a fart. This year we are looking at lodged crop, drowned out lentils, pot holes with water in them. Then there’s full moon August 11. Where’s the crystal ball when you need it? Crop looks way off in the distance around here. But then our early bird neighbours are desiccating lentils.

Comment

"Anchoring Bias" huh? Well yes there's probably some waiting for the durum price to go back up to $22. (it won't). But on the opposite end when durum reached that $10. peak from a few years ago a lot of guys sold early, including one neighbour who told me they contracted the majority of their durum production at that price, then watched it go through the roof. I was talking to one of the guys at the local elevator about all the durum coming in - he said the bulk of it was $12 durum. When the posted price was over $20.

So it works both ways.

Comment

I'm pretty sad on missed opportunity too. We were able to catch the top of the wheat market on a bit of production. Then managed to sell a bunch of grain on the way down though was tough to pull the trigger. Still have some left, prices are currently mostly higher than last fall. I think we will see more volatility than just downside. My upside targets have been lowered drastically, but I should have more than half a crop this year to help the gross per acre number. I'm not seeing much downside in fertilizer, will need some inventory to pay for that.

Comment

"Anchoring Bias"

A marketing plan... with sufficient risk capital... that targets a 'reasonable profit'.

Make hay while the sun shines... don't be greedy... and convert the profitable transaction... without risking the farm.

A good helping... of...'Humble pie' memories helps too...

Blessings and Salutations

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                  "Anchoring Bias"

A marketing plan... with sufficient risk capital... that targets a 'reasonable profit'.

Make hay while the sun shines... don't be greedy... and convert the profitable transaction... without risking the farm.

A good helping... of...'Humble pie' memories helps too...

Blessings and Salutations
                  So does anchoring bias not also work in the oposite direction as well? Sort of like.... a mental benchmark that we are conditioned to?
                  As in.. will we ever see gasoline under 1.30? Ever again?
                  Crank up the price by 80 cents.. drop it by 50 and make us all feel good about the drop. Will urea ever fall below 750/ mT? Anchoring bias is sort of like mental " price" conditioning only... the opposite way?

Either way.. the fundamentals.still support 15$ wheat...unfortunately the true numbers will be fudged so much ( ukraine possibly having a record canola.crop...? Cmon
                  .get real)

Comment

Anticipatory Pricing.

Comment

Never say never ….. markets moving this morning

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                        Nothing pisses me off more than someone that says told you so, if I remember correctly you said to sell before the big rally even happened. Show some maturity and say you are sometimes right and sometimes wrong.
                        You remembered incorrectly.

Comment

If only we could be emotionless.

Comment

What surprises me is given how crappy last years durum harvest was on both sides of the border that there is still pasta on the shelf in the grocery store. We even stocked up a bit in the pantry. Figured by March the shelf would be bare. Where did it come from. I don't produce durum but managed to sell all my canola at escalating prices except the last small bin clean out load which got less then the previous load. Canola did run out either so getting those few extra jugs of cooking oil was likely not necessary. Should have sold 3 crop years worth of spring wheat before black sea production gets back to what it was a couple years ago too.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                              What surprises me is given how crappy last years durum harvest was on both sides of the border that there is still pasta on the shelf in the grocery store. We even stocked up a bit in the pantry. Figured by March the shelf would be bare. Where did it come from. I don't produce durum but managed to sell all my canola at escalating prices except the last small bin clean out load which got less then the previous load. Canola did run out either so getting those few extra jugs of cooking oil was likely not necessary. Should have sold 3 crop years worth of spring wheat before black sea production gets back to what it was a couple years ago too.
                              Patients on the wheat

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...