• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic weeds! post local pics please

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic weeds! post local pics please

I for one am really getting tired of someone shitting on how i farm
    we follow labels to a tee on chemicals .we spray as a last resort , only if necessary
    this bullshit thread that has been left on here for three years , and 95 % of the replys are by the author , should of been removed long ago
    personal opinions should not be marketed as fact
    I am sick of their bullshit
    will get pics as soon as possible of these "organic" messes here and post them
    please post yours so the woke sheeple can see the shit they're eating
    apologies to the very few organic farmers that put their heart and soul into it and do a good job , but you are few and far between
    oxymoron of the day "chinese organic"

One local organic family here has transitioned out. They could not manage the serious soil erosion from 4-5 passes of conventional tillage on a 50-50 operation, so they tried to go continuous. They dropped serious amounts of rock phos in order to boost their phos content, then tried to bring their N component up by buying 100's of tridem loads of cow shit, pig shit, and chicken shit. All of that comes with copious amounts of weed seeds and it got to the point where they were growing 20bu crops that after cleaning were net 8-10.

Wild Oats by and large took over every acre! Kochia was completely unmanageable! Buckwheat was a nightmare!

Perhaps their are areas where it can be done longer term, but for here you MAYBE get 2 or 3 years of tolerably dirty grain after the 3 year transition has taken place.

I'd say they tried it all. They'd work ahead of the seeder. Then used a 3 bar cultivator with double disc openers attached in the place of harrows to get another stab at the weeds at seeding time. They seeded 2-2.5x heavier than necessary then harrowed a couple weeks after it came up hoping to thin out the weeds yet again.

They're damned good people, but nobody enjoyed farming beside them as weeds from theirs ended up blessing yours.

Comment

Hired a guy that used to work for an “organic” farm. He said they were putting fertilizer on and spraying chemical at night. The owner told him not to say anything to anybody.

You would never tell by the crops he was getting. They were still horrible to none existent amongst the plethora of weeds.

And people are paying premium for this garbage?

Comment

The neighbor's organic wheat is solid orange with wild mustard in full bloom. It will look that way until the flowers fall off in a week or two. Most people assume that it is canola growing.

Comment

anybody that thinks enough food can be produced organicaly to feed the world is clueless ! they deserve to go hungry

Comment

Have a neighbour running just 8Q. He isn’t organic but strict half and half. Seeds with discer yet. Does conventional tillage on the other half but waits for a rain before he goes in. Not out of control but weeds end up being pretty big before he gets in.

Comment

A guy beside me tried for about 20 years. His fields got worse and worse over the years with Canada thistle and wild oats and every other weed. Hardly any crop most years. He finally gave up and has gone back to the bad way but you can still tell which fields are his by the weeds that still grow there.
              Sorry no pictures.

Comment

Son of the local organic guy of 30 yrs asked me to spray his barley this yr. Exact words were I want at least one crop in my life I can be proud to have farmed and drive by.

full of wild oats, buckwheat and sow thistel. couldn't see his barley. I'll get a after photo in a couple days when I'm back off shift.

Comment

I always wonder why the organic people generally do things the same and expect better results than the feeble efforts most put forth. Many start off using hay as a transition. Fine, Starts them out clean with decent fertility. And then the tillage and mining begins for twenty years.

Why not do a couple years of grain, a diverse cover crop, grazed intensively, back to alfalfa, couple years of grain? Why not sweet clover or alfalfa, or red clover for seed, rather than a plowdown or crazy summerfallow? Why not use a roller crimper instead of mass tillage implements? There are guys in the states using roller crispers following cover crops and no tilling into that mulch organically, why not here? Do better with less land because you can focus on it while a quarter of your land base is in hay?

Use fall rye and winter wheat to your advantage, stop trying to grow more than a couple years of grains with zero inputs.

Of course it’s always easy to look on the outside in, but simple half n half isn’t enough. I have grown some wild crops after alfalfa with no N, and minimal need to spray, often to the point of wondering if I should even spray. Same for rye and winter wheat, which beat most weeds by miles. With a little bit of care, one can keep former hayland wild oat free for many years.

It’s frustrating because I think it CAN be done better than 90% do it. I don’t get it I guess?
                  Last edited by Sheepwheat; Jul 25, 2022, 15:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    I always wonder why the organic people generally do things the same and expect better results than the feeble efforts most put forth. Many start off using hay as a transition. Fine, Starts them out clean with decent fertility. And then the tillage and mining begins for twenty years.

Why not do a couple years of grain, a diverse cover crop, grazed intensively, back to alfalfa, couple years of grain? Why not sweet clover or alfalfa, or red clover for seed, rather than a plowdown or crazy summerfallow? Why not use a roller crimper instead of mass tillage implements? There are guys in the states using roller crispers following cover crops and no tilling into that mulch organically, why not here? Do better with less land because you can focus on it while a quarter of your land base is in hay?

Use fall rye and winter wheat to your advantage, stop trying to grow more than a couple years of grains with zero inputs.

Of course it’s always easy to look on the outside in, but simple half n half isn’t enough. I have grown some wild crops after alfalfa with no N, and minimal need to spray, often to the point of wondering if I should even spray. Same for rye and winter wheat, which beat most weeds by miles. With a little bit of care, one can keep former hayland wild oat free for many years.

It’s frustrating because I think it CAN be done better than 90% do it. I don’t get it I guess?
                    In my neck of the woods most of the guys who went organic were/ are going broke and couldn't afford to buy chemicals. That's why they went organic .I do have one organic neighbor who is a good organic farmer and practices good summer fallow. Dad used to use the saying that you cant summer fallow in the spring ahead of seeding. There is a local guy who will use a disk to roll down the thistle and quack grass and seed into the mess expecting a crop. They are not close to me but I have a organic friend who has a lot of alfalfa seeded down to ground to build organic matter and some nitrogen. This is for several years at a time. It seems the local organic neighbors don't have enough for diesel at times. They will work some of the fallow and inexplicitly leave other fields alone for the canada thistle to blow all over. Most of the organic guys too are what one guy said are the "bottom feeders" when it comes to buying farm machinery. You just don't seem to see any newer farm implements at all. I heard of one guy who would pull in with a harrow bar, back it up to fold it out then after lowering it , would move the tires from the transport wheels to the field side. Did this on every field move. I know new iron isn't the be all end all but it shouldn't be all junk. Unfortunately most organic guys are out of the business after a few years. We have bought several quarters over the years of certified organic land that needed a lot of TLC to bring them back to a productive state. Better organic examples would for sure be welcome.

Comment

Common denominator of success with organic is having livestock and a majority of acres in perennial stands or short term covers utilized by the livestock. Sold a plow years ago to some ranchers doing just that, selling organic oats. Even such if that is the way they want it we’ll be hard pressed to feed ourselves.

Comment

One chap here did it well.

Sowed on 15 inch rows.

Relying on cultivation of course.

Once crop was up and going used to cultivate again between the crows at say 5 leaf stage of crop.

Rare as rocking horse shit in my area being so dry.

Comment

I was organic farming for twenty years, and it is possible, but i was hampered by neighbouring land in trees and set aside that blew thistles and docks all over me.
                          90% of people that go organic have zero farming knowledge so are doomed to fail.
                          I still farm organic land, but i get paid to do it.
                          My own is conventional

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C60D6341-E88C-453F-88C5-0F52BA0C46F6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	773580

Organic peas working to save man kind from starving.

**** me we will all be dead if we counted on these guys.

Comment

I don't know of any organic farms at all. Thought that was a pre bankruptcy trend from the 80s.
                              Grazing would be the only sustainable zero man made input agriculture I can think of for this area.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.