• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Tax Rebate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binthere View Post
    Cmon man chuck said hopefully.just like any good person with buisness sense.
    Hope is always a good strategy. Especially in the middle of a "climate emergency", and with countless hundreds of billions of dollars being spent on renewable energies and battery powered cars, at the expense of any other viable options.

And I see he is still harping about batteries getting cheaper. I've already presented the information indicating that the exact opposite is occuring, and quite drastically too. But he is still waiting, and "hoping" for the price to come down so he can buy an imaginary electric car, to charge with his imaginary solar panels, on his imaginary farm.

Comment

I'm still laughing at powering your home from your car.
      In the time it took for him to cut and paste that very short term solution, I can refuel the gen for another day with liquid solar energy from bulk tank or jerry can. What a maroon.

Comment

https://fb.watch/eo-e2sPFDN/

Comment

I guess GM is investing an imaginary $35 billion dollars in imaginary EVs? LOL

And nobody is using EV batteries to provide backup to power homes? And the Tesla that A4 drives doesn't really exist?

And in Alberta those are imaginary solar panels and windmills they are putting up while switching imaginary coal plants to natural gas, don't exist?

Renewables aren't going to replace all carbon based fosssil fuels anytime soon, but to claim that all the EVs and renewable investments are imaginary is quite the stretch of imagination.

There must be a lot of imaginary farms producing imaginary renewable energy because the 2021 Census showed over 22,000 farms across Canada producing renewable energy.

Farmers are transitioning towards renewable energy production

In 2021, there were more than twice as many farms reporting renewable energy production than in the previous census. The number of farms reporting renewable energy production increased from 10,185 in the previous census to 22,576 in 2021.

Expressed as a proportion of total farms, close to 1 in 8 farms in Canada (11.9%) reported some form of renewable energy production in 2021, more than double the rate (5.3%) in the previous census. Solar energy production remained the most common form of renewable energy production on Canadian farms, as the number of farms that reported producing this form of energy increased by 66.5% from the previous census to 2021.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/220511/dq220511a-eng.htm
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 21, 2022, 06:40.

Comment

From Bloomberg

How Ford’s Electric Pickup Can Power Your House for 10 Days

Transforming an F-150 Lightning into a backup generator means you can keep the lights on during blackouts. Here’s the extra equipment you’ll need to use the EV battery to power a home.

"The extended-range Lightning’s 131 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion pack boasts almost 10 times the capacity of a Tesla Powerwall, an $11,000 home backup battery that can’t be driven to the supermarket. The Lightning is “a mini powerplant for your home,” says Jason Glickman, executive vice president for engineering, planning and strategy at California utility PG&E Corp. “It can support the grid on a hot summer day, when we have demand spiking.”

“At scale, when these vehicles are enabled to send energy back to the grid, flex alerts and notices of grid emergencies will be a thing completely of the past,” adds Glickman, whose utility is testing how to integrate the truck into its management of the grid."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-31/how-the-ford-f-150-can-be-a-backup-home-generator

Comment

So according to Chuck's article, only 11.9% of Canadian Farms are using some form of renewable energy.
              Does this mean that photosynthesis has now been canceled along with all the other inconvenient laws of nature and physics?
              Every farm I know of is relying on photosynthesis as their primary source of energy. And it is the ultimate renewable energy source.
              Even intensive livestock is still using photosynthesis as their energy source, just one step removed. About the only exceptions would be hydroponics or enclosed greenhouses, or carpet farmers stuck in the basement with no windows.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                From Bloomberg

How Ford’s Electric Pickup Can Power Your House for 10 Days

Transforming an F-150 Lightning into a backup generator means you can keep the lights on during blackouts. Here’s the extra equipment you’ll need to use the EV battery to power a home.

"The extended-range Lightning’s 131 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion pack boasts almost 10 times the capacity of a Tesla Powerwall, an $11,000 home backup battery that can’t be driven to the supermarket. The Lightning is “a mini powerplant for your home,” says Jason Glickman, executive vice president for engineering, planning and strategy at California utility PG&E Corp. “It can support the grid on a hot summer day, when we have demand spiking.”

“At scale, when these vehicles are enabled to send energy back to the grid, flex alerts and notices of grid emergencies will be a thing completely of the past,” adds Glickman, whose utility is testing how to integrate the truck into its management of the grid."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-31/how-the-ford-f-150-can-be-a-backup-home-generator
                I’d take the back feeding onto the grid with a grain of salt. Perhaps your home with it locked out from the grid. I’m no electrician but I’d hate to be a lineman around your place.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  So according to Chuck's article, only 11.9% of Canadian Farms are using some form of renewable energy.
                  Sounds like the just the guys who got windmills forced onto their lands. Maybe windmills on dugouts, or solar panels for remote weather stations or bin yard cables.

Just a joke stat if it comes from stats can.

Comment

I see the denialists and the excessive negative nellies who sometimes call Canada the worst country in the world are back at work. LOL

If you drive around much, you see a fair number of farms with solar panels. But I guess they are just imaginary panels!

If they are grid tied which most are, they wont put anything back into the grid if the power goes out for safety reasons.

And some people are already using their EVs as backup power. As to whether they become an important part of the grid that is too soon to say. But the California utility manager seems to think they will have a role.

But of course the arm chair "grid analysts" from Alberta aren't so sure.
                    Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 21, 2022, 10:29.

Comment

The EVs are all sitting in the Canadian tire parking lot. Cant even ger themselves charged in 40m. They wont be charging any homes thats for sure.

Let me see, a $85K Tesla to back up my house, or a $3000 generac fed off clean plentiful storable nat gas.

Chuck, what marxist university did you go to. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        I see the denialists and the excessive negative nellies who sometimes call Canada the worst country in the world are back at work. LOL

If you drive around much, you see a fair number of farms with solar panels. But I guess they are just imaginary panels!

If they are grid tied which most are, they wont put anything back into the grid if the power goes out for safety reasons.

And some people are already using their EVs as backup power. As to whether they become an important part of the grid that is too soon to say. But the California utility manager seems to think they will have a role.

But of course the arm chair "grid analysts" from Alberta aren't so sure.
                        I have a back up generator Chuck2. As part of installing it a large transfer switch was integrated so that it doesn’t backfeed the power lines when in use. Do you think people who are going to power their house will install the proper switching gear to hook up their truck to their house? Conversely grid tie solar installations offer no back up power capability during an outage because that is not the way they are wired in. Continue to dream Chuck2 lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                          I have a back up generator Chuck2. As part of installing it a large transfer switch was integrated so that it doesn’t backfeed the power lines when in use. Do you think people who are going to power their house will install the proper switching gear to hook up their truck to their house? Conversely grid tie solar installations offer no back up power capability during an outage because that is not the way they are wired in. Continue to dream Chuck2 lol!
                          Hybrids have been around for 15 yrs and they can grid connect. I dont see any of those owners selling back to the grid or powering their homes.

And with the poor battery life in EVs do you really want to waste those hours powering your house. Just depreciating your soon to be worthless vehicle faster.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                            I’d take the back feeding onto the grid with a grain of salt. Perhaps your home with it locked out from the grid. I’m no electrician but I’d hate to be a lineman around your place.
                            Leftard ,climatard, leaches don’t follow the laws or think they have to pay for roads or power grids , etc.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              Leftard ,climatard, leaches don’t follow the laws or think they have to pay for roads or power grids , etc.
                              Any farmer worth his salt and witnessed a prairie hailstorm or plow wind would be the last person to put up a solar array.

Sounds like these renewable farmers are in BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                                Wilton. You don't think the Ford Engineers would have thought of that issue?

From Bloomberg: Transforming a Lightning into a home generator requires Ford’s 80-amp charging station and a $3,895 home integration system from Sunrun Inc. Installation cost for the Sunrun system varies according to the home and location. The charging station comes with the extended-range version of the Lightning; it’s a $1,310 option for buyers of the standard 230 mile-range version of the pickup.

If the Lightning is plugged in when a blackout hits, the home automatically begins drawing electricity from the battery. When power is restored, the system disconnects and then resumes charging the vehicle. Ford says the Lightning can fully power an average home for roughly three days.

The system will be set up to switch on and off the grid just like automatic backup generators which go on and off when the powers goes out and back on again. It already exists and has been around for decades.

The manual transfer switch option works for those of us who have manual on and off generators.

If you shut of the main breaker switch at the pole and meter into your yard you can also run a generator and power your farm. But that is not recommended and prone to human error.

It is possible to set up a grid tied solar system to provide backup power but it is expensive. I asked an engineer about it and using a generator wont work with solar because the panels will put to much power into the generator and blow it up.

The safest option is to shut off the grid supply to your solar panels and then run your backup generator with a transfer switch.
                                Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 22, 2022, 07:19.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.