• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Tax Rebate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenue Neutral Tax.
    If you still believe that oxymoron, you're an idiot.
    Everything in our lives depends on the stored solar energy found in hydrocarbons.
    This is a not so cleverly disguised consumption tax to increase general revenues.
    And yes, grocery and fuel bills are double what they were a short time ago.
    In the future maybe PMs should post their receipts over and above what the govt pays for.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      Already had this discussion last winter with A4.

If you charge at home with your own electricity the savings are much greater. Especially if you have a solar PV system that reduces your costs even further .
      Was that the same discussion where he kept telling you you didn't have a clue what you were talking about because you were insisting that we should be using electric vehicles as grid storage batteries?

Comment

Not to mention that charging at home means never going far from it.
        Which the majority of people don't do I suppose. How can Chuck live in Sask and have a desire for all to live like Toronto?

Comment

Ford Lightning ev pickup reportedly has a range of 54 miles when pulling a camper trailer.
          We are about 1hr 20 min from Candle Lake with no charging station likely ever coming.
          Pulling the camper you would have the option of pulling over and running power plant on the camper for 3 or 4 hrs.

Kind of kills the possibility of a fishing tour of the northern lakes.

It would seem there might be a big opportunity for high end Motorhomes to take advantage of the lower cost per mile of the EV option but range might be an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
            Last weekend we had a family function in Salmon Arm BC. I was sitting around visiting with my sister in law. It was kind of funny she brought up the drive out. For her she lives in Red Deer it was just under 650 km. We got to discussing gas prices. She drives a Mazda CX-3. I was fairly impressed she said she filled once on the way and cost her $50. Her daughter and son in law drive a plug in Kia Niro Ev. They had to stop twice to charge and it cost them $42. What was interesting was my sister in law had more left in her gas tank by percentage than they did as percentage of charge in their battery when they arrived and it took then 2 hours longer to get there due to charging time to save $8 dollars. This is an actual example not some Liberal fantasy espoused by Stephen Guilbeault!! Lol.

So Chuck2 if your talking actual cost of travel, yes the plug in electric is a little cheaper but what is your time worth? And I have to admit at today’s gas prices I thought the electric car would save more money!
            And that $8 wouldn't even come close to paying the road taxes let alone all of the other taxes on fuel that the EV drivers are getting a free ride on so far.

Comment

‘You’re further ahead with an EV’: How EV owners weather massive power outages
              Krystyna Lagowski
              Special to The Globe and Mail
              Published July 15, 2022

When a huge storm snuffed out hydroelectric power in many parts of Ontario and Quebec in May, not only were many electric vehicle (EV) owners able to keep driving, but they also weren’t left in the dark.

Raymond Leury, president of the Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa, a non-profit that promotes electric vehicle adoption, didn’t hear of any EV owners who were left high and dry, even as many Ottawa-area residents lost electricity for more than 10 days.

Leury thinks much of that can be attributed to the different mindset of EV owners. “Typically, you plug your EV in when you get home in the evening, so that it’s always at a high rate of charge in the morning,” he says. “You’re always starting every day with a full charge.”

That’s different from owners of gas-powered cars, who might park their car with a quarter tank, assuming they can swing by a gas station whenever they need. Leury notes that gas pumps also need electricity to function. As a result, many of the gas stations just outside the blackout area had long lineups. Some even ran out of gas. “Really, you’re further ahead with an EV when the power goes out.”

Ottawa-area resident Mike Banks had a 60-per-cent charge on his Hyundai Ioniq 5 when the storm hit. It’s one of the few EVs that is capable of using the car’s battery to charge electrical items. Banks ran an extension cord from his Ioniq 5 through the window of his house, to the kitchen and plugged in his fridge and some lights.

Ottawa-area resident Mike Banks uses his Hyundai Ioniq 5 to power electrical items in his house, including a fridge and lights, after a storm knocked out power in May, 2022Handout

Banks has the top trim Ioniq 5, with an extra outlet built in between the back seats. When he saw his neighbour across the street was also without power, Banks offered him some juice from the car. They ran a second extension cord across the street and plugged in the neighbour’s fridge. “I ran it for a day and a half, my house and his house, keeping everything on,” Banks says.

When his area’s power came back on after 36 hours, he charged up his car to 80 per cent, and drove to his in-laws across town, who were still without electricity. He hooked up the car to their fridges, a freezer and lights. “I left it there for 10 days, and when I picked it up, it still had a 60-per-cent charge,” Banks said with a laugh. “Fridges and lights only use minimal power.”

When the lights went out at Monique Beaulieu’s home in Whitby, Ont., she wasn’t worried. After all, she’d had her 2018 Hyundai Ioniq plugged in overnight and had a full charge. As soon as the power came back on after 10 hours, she offered up her Level 2 home charger to fellow EV owners on a Facebook EV owners group.

“No one took me up on the offer,” says Beaulieu. She even added her charger to PlugShare, an EV charging locator app, which allows homeowners to list their home charging stations. But even then, she didn’t have any customers.

She found it ironic when, shortly after the power went out, a few friends teased her. “They didn’t have power and they thought I was stuck,” Beaulieu recalls. “But the truth was the other way around. I was fine and could get around. They couldn’t find a gas station to fill their car’s gas tank.”

According to Dan Wheeler, a representative at California-based EV locator app PlugShare, during the devastating Texas blackout of February, 2021, which lasted more than two weeks, fewer than 6 per cent of EV owners were unable to drive because of the blackout. Many had already topped up their vehicle batteries in anticipation of the storm, and a few had a battery energy storage system at home, like a Tesla Powerwall.

Others reported that they used their EV to charge various devices, such as an internet router, and some even used their car as a warm place to sleep – without worrying about carbon monoxide fumes.

Wheeler reports that a study done in June, 2022, which surveyed 6,999 EV drivers in Canada, found that 6 per cent had solar panels, while 3.5 per cent had battery-based energy storage systems. “We think that may be heavily indexed toward EV drivers, who want to be ready for a blackout,” he says. Wheeler has even heard rumours of EV owners who build their own home power walls from recycled e-scooter batteries.

Home energy storage systems are tentatively becoming a reality, like Alectra Inc.’s Powerhouse Hybrid pilot project. In the City of Markham, which is a partner on this project along with Enbridge Inc. and Toronto Metropolitan University, 10 homes have been equipped with a basement battery that is charged by rooftop solar panels. Each home is a micro-grid, and is part of a system that allows Alectra to distribute energy more efficiently among participating houses, supply power back to the main grid when there is a surplus, or run independently of the main grid if there is a power outage.

“The main objective of Powerhouse Hybrid is to reduce greenhouse gases, but it offers more outage protection, not just for the house, [but also for] electric vehicles,” says Neetika Sathe, vice-president of Alectra’s Green Energy and Technology Centre.

The pilot project has been funded by various government subsidies. During the power outage in May, Powerhouse Hybrid participants said they had greater peace of mind, knowing they could keep their food cold, their phones running and their electric vehicles charged.

Although the project hasn’t advanced to where homeowners could list their home chargers to the public for sharing during an outage, Sathe thinks it could happen. “I’m a firm believer in a shared economy,” she says. During the storm, she offered her neighbours a chance to use her home charger and generator to keep their homes up and running.

Sathe sees energy sharing not just as an opportunity for people to list their chargers, but even earn environmental points (Alectra had a program where you could collect environmental points and exchange them for goods and services with participating local merchants) or cash. “I get goosebumps just thinking about it, because it’s the intuitive, right thing to do.”

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                Was that the same discussion where he kept telling you you didn't have a clue what you were talking about because you were insisting that we should be using electric vehicles as grid storage batteries?
                In fact EV batteries are already being used as back up power sources. And Ford is marketing their F150 Lightning as a backup power source. and on the job source of power. So yes EVs can act as storage batteries.

What powers your smart phone and all your cordless tools? Your hot air, denial and misinformation? LOL
                Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 18, 2022, 06:04.

Comment

In fact EV batteries are already being used as back up power sources. And Ford is marketing their F150 Lightning as a backup power source. and on the job source of power. So yes EVs can act as storage batteries.

What powers your smart phone and all your cordless tools? Your hot air, denial and misinformation? LOL
                  Chuck2 every battery has so many charging cycles before it no longer recharges. My cell phone for example would last 11/2 or 2 days when it was new per charge, now some days it doesn’t make it through 1 day. I have many cordless tools now useless because the batteries no longer charge. So yes you can use your EV to power other things but your simple shortening it’s useful life span.

Comment

Yes very true and batteries need to be replaced.

But ICE cars also need to be replaced and the maintenance costs adds up over time.

Battery technology will evolve and hopefully get a lot better, cleaner and cheaper as time goes on.

In the transition phase of every new technology costs are usually higher and not as good tech as later versions.

Remember what the first large cell phones cost and what their features were? Not very impressive compared to the ones we have now.

Comment

But ICE cars also need to be replaced and the maintenance costs adds up over time.

Battery technology will evolve and hopefully get a lot better, cleaner and cheaper as time goes on.

In the transition phase of every new technology costs are usually higher and not as good tech as later versions.

Remember what the first large cell phones cost and what their features were? Not very impressive compared to the ones we have now.
                      So you are still living in the future for your EV and Renewable energy fiasco, and still living in the past when it comes to your blind support of vaccines.

Which raises a question, do you ever exist in the here and now?

Comment

So A5 you are an antivaxer? And you don't think vaccines are good and safe healthcare?

But you can't produce any evidence to back up your claims that the covid vaccines in Alberta don't reduce deaths and hospitalizations? LOL

Why not ask GM about the future of EVs? At a $35 billion dollar investment are they wrong? Or would you rather invest $35 billion in crypto currencies like Polarizing Polly?

Chevrolet unveils all-electric Blazer with more than 500 kilometres of range
                        Petrina Gentile
                        Los angeles
                        Special to The Globe and Mail
                        Published Yesterday

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/article-chevrolet-unveils-all-electric-blazer-with-more-than-500-kilometres-of/

Chevrolet is expanding its electric vehicle lineup, adding the 2024 Blazer mid-size SUV, which will start in the mid-$50,000 range when it arrives next summer and travel more than 500 kilometres on a full charge. Chevy has already announced that electric versions of the Silverado pickup truck and Equinox SUV are coming next year. It’s all part of GM’s plan to inject $35-billion into EV and autonomous vehicle product development globally and introduce 30 new EVs by 2025.
                        Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 20, 2022, 07:23.

Comment

We didn't throw away the landline before cells worked. Cellular was consumer driven innovation.
                          I get your analogy but half wrong.

Comment

Cmon man chuck said hopefully.just like any good person with buisness sense.

Comment

I’ve been trying to formulate a comment, but I am stuck at the fact that there are people who actually would willingly invite him into their home. Who would actually have the smarmy, gross, criminal in their home? Sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                                I’ve been trying to formulate a comment, but I am stuck at the fact that there are people who actually would willingly invite him into their home. Who would actually have the smarmy, gross, criminal in their home? Sick.
                                Deaf illiterate blind to all his CRIMES...i guess. Those that believe in NOTHING need him to SAVE them, the country, planet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.