• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, it's Thursday and another week is done, and what an interesting week it was. I'm a little slow out of the gate today as my wife and I went to see the new Elvis movie and what a great show it was.

We had almost 3 inches more rain in places. Some I know to the north are talking feet of rain since its well over 12 in so far. Last Thursday we got hammered by hail and rain. Then last night the town of Foam Lake had a tornado go by and from the pictures it was one for the record books unbelievable the power of mother nature. I was talking to different guys around the province that day and we were 28 and they were 14 some cold front. To those who had damage and there were a few our hearts go out to you and your family.

This is why we need some of the best radar in the country in Saskatchewan but our Federal Gov has done nothing but sluff it off. Were Saskatchewan they just don't care. To the north of Foam lake around Hudson bay Sask there isn't really any radar station at all. I wonder how Toronto would do with no radar for a snowstorm that they needed the army.

I'll be a day early and Happy Canada Day, for a lot of us were losing hope in Canada and I now say I'm from Saskatchewan when traveling never Canada. Sad really and it all can be traced back to a spoiled brat in Ottawa. One Trudeau was bad enough, but the second never in a million years should have got elected to the highest office in the country.

Happy Canada Day.

Now the crop report.

My last three guys finished seeding in the last 10 days the Cowboy, the organic, and the Crop insurance player. Some of what went in is slowly coming up and looking not bad.

For the rest that got done it was one for the books for seeding.

Wheat is up and hitting the flag in some early, heat and sun and moisture plus GDD. Late is up and all in the area has been sprayed for in crop. Fungicides will be going on in the next two weeks plus some will be going a different route and using soil health and skipping the fungicide. Were looking into this also. Cheaper and way more effective. The crop is about an 8/10 due to it being later. But we should remember these new varieties are bred for our area with shorter straw that adds a week less growing time needed and it all goes to the head.

Barley is also in two crops the early seeded that's in the flag and the late that has rows and just sprayed. This happened because guys went with canola after the peas due to the late time of seeding and then went with Barley oats etc at the end. We didn't but lots did. We shut one drill down to start the canola at our normal time and the other finished with wheat and then joined the canola. Yellow spots are showing up from the rain. 8/10

The oats look good and some are still needed to be sprayed. 8/10

Flax, did I miss the meeting last winter to seed flax because in our area we have lots and I mean lots. Not sprayed yet. 8/10

Lentils are all over the place and I guess the fertilizer costs got guys. so far looks ok but the excess rain is making yellow spots. 9/10

Peas are all over the place from really nice to should have followed the 8-year rule to thin and then thick. Yellow showing up from water. We will be hitting with a fungicide early next week. 7/10

Canola what a shit show from shitty seed batches to shitty seed treatments to shitty shortages of Liberty. Early seeded sucks in our area as some have sprayed up to 4 times for bugs. Our early got hail last Thursday so 7 looks late and ugly but are coming back after a little help from good weather and heat and a little help from me. All seeded in June is really nice, thick nice rows and starting to cabbage in some cases. Canola is a funny duck that's expensive to grow and you need all things to go right to get the big crop in the end. Time will tell but it is a late seeded crop for our area and needs a lot of help to get to the finish line.
    Canola I would call a 6/10 so far

Pastures and hayland are a 9/10 what a difference from last year.

The farm progress show is done and now the days are getting a little less sunshine each day and shorter.

Some are now missing the rain events and have 10 days to get something or crops will be going backward in Sask.

Some sweet spots are also out there, more than last year but the big white combine is all around this year.

It's farming it's not a crop till it's getting dumped in the pit.

Had bugs in a three-year-old wheat seed I sold so the vac had to come to the rescue.

Again have a Happy Canada day enjoy with family and friends and remember it's just a crop that they are working overtime to get for nothing. Oh, ill be spraying liberty since the only calm day looks like tomorrow for our area in between wind days. Or hurricane days like some are saying

Comment

Best canola I have

Worst canola I have

In between canola

Comment

Rain has been very spotty, our last rain was june 09. Crops are holding so far ,wont need to spray for disease if no rain , never wet in mornings.

Comment

Thank you for posting

Comment

No X9S for you and you and me.

Build arrival date now end of October they were end of June up till yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
              Rain has been very spotty, our last rain was june 09. Crops are holding so far ,wont need to spray for disease if no rain , never wet in mornings.
              Same here, cant buy a rain. Showers been bouncing around us for 3 weeks, get a tenth every couple days. Need a drink soon. Crop still looking good but late.

Seems every year the gumbo has to hold us in for 3 weeks or more until the pattern changes.

Comment

Very wet in east central alberta. my canola is very slow this year. cereals look great.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Same here, cant buy a rain. Showers been bouncing around us for 3 weeks, get a tenth every couple days. Need a drink soon. Crop still looking good but late.

Seems every year the gumbo has to hold us in for 3 weeks or more until the pattern changes.
                  I think I’d prefer that every year to the rain every few days we are back to getting now. Last year the gumbo held on here and just got a few showers and total of 4 inches for the growing season most coming at seeding and the crop was decent. Better than fighting the crap we’re getting now and watching more crop lost with every thunderstorm and cutting ruts trying to spray

Comment

I am finally seeing the canola starting to really cabbage out nice. We need heat units to move this crop along but its for sure looking better.

Comment

Originally posted by tubs View Post
                      Very wet in east central alberta. my canola is very slow this year. cereals look great.
                      Canola seems slow here too. I have only seen 1 good field that’s cabbaged out and covering the ground nicely and it was seeded relatively early on lighter land. Later seeded seems to be struggling , was too small maybe when we started getting these latest waves of moisture.

Comment

Cooler Temps for the longest time if their rite.
                        Atleast crops will not burn up like last yr..
                        1 yr ago it was plus 34 today...

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                          Cooler Temps for the longest time if their rite.
                          Atleast crops will not burn up like last yr..
                          1 yr ago it was plus 34 today...
                          True, but two hot days will fry the crop this year around here because there is no soil moisture reserves to draw from and the crop has made its decision already. 5th leaf the yield is set , just to maintain it you need good moisture and weather. While the cooler temperatures are helping , still need moisture to finish.

Comment

Starting fung next week.
                            By now very sick of babysitting that machine.
                            Every pothole pumped with expensive pumps full again here. Beavers flooded hundreds of acres cause no one paid enough to look for them.
                            Canola starting bolt, cereal starting head. Peas very early flower.
                            Always picking new seed openers in my sleep, usually about 4 am. Every year different and I think we're trying to do too much with them.
                            Will be some 8-9 out of 10s here if you got your densities and fertility right.
                            Trying to top dress with urea here officially in the big joke book. More N at seeding the way for now I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              crop has made its decision already. 5th leaf the yield is set ,.
                              No yield set here yet, Some guys are still getting canola and even lentils established.

Earlier canola wont bolt for 3 weeks to a month yet and same as most cereals.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...