• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone still run pull type swathers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone still run pull type swathers

I usually straight cut everything except canola so when I need to swath a bunch I have to rely on my underpowered swather. Thought a pull type is low capitol investment for an occasional use thing. Wouldn’t mind finding a 25 or 30 footer and don’t absolutely need a pickup reel. Lots further away but nw Sask I don’t see many for sale yet.

Swathers of any type are rare here. We have an Sp we have not used for years.

Comment

Knocked a green section of canola down 3 days ahead of bad frost one year. Figure that more than paid to keep a swather around.

Comment

I have used a pull type for years and they are very economical to run and buy. I think a pickup reel really helps in canola or lodged crops.
        I like a MacDon and all the drives are belts. They give very few issues as long as the belts are good.
        Usually they sell very cheap at auction sales but as the years go by they are getting harder find.

Comment

If you can find a PT that is the same size as a SP that has auto steer you can team them up. The SP goes up and back then drop 2 passes. The PT goes up and back on the 2 dropped passes. Did this lots when we needed to knock something down fast. We were using 25 foot machines so 50 feet up and back and both swathers stayed together. Worked good with the kids.
          Last edited by seldomseen; Jun 29, 2022, 22:15.

Comment

Have a 30 foot sitting in the shed. Haven’t used it for 15 years

Comment

Have a 25 ft westward auto fold
              Haven’t used in 15-20 years
              NE swamp

Comment

I used a macdon 1900 pt for my canola when I was growing it. I still have the swather, but it’s not for sale, sorry. Im sure my canola hiatus will probably end when I take some hay out of production. I love my pull type swather! A few tips.

GET A ROTO SHEAR at the far end. It eliminates beaver houses, as in nice canola, it tends to wrap at the far end and can make a mess if it is any kind of a crop. The regular divider just doesn’t cut it, pardon the pun. A shear eliminates piles of hassle, pardon the pun again.

Cut HIGHER than you think is usual, then add a couple inches. This helps the material flow through better, and anchors the swath, as I never used a roller.

A pickup reel is maybe not necessary, but helps keep the material moving better than a bat.

Any more question, I’d be happy to have a go.

Comment

A tip on swathing canola with a PT swather. The right hand end is always where problems start like sheep says. A neighbour told me about special guards that are available from macdon for that end. I made my own from old broken guards by removing the top part and shortening and shaping the bottom to only reach out as far as the knife. It follows of course that you need good hold downs there to keep the knife snug to the guard to work well. Of course a roto shear is a great idea too but those guard tips for the first three or four on the right hand make a world of difference.

Comment

I swathed canola for years with a pull type and never needed a roto shear. Always thought they were not needed and over rated,
                    Move the reel as far ahead as it goes. That way it if lifting the canola off the knife and laying it on the d****rs. With the reel moved ahead I never have issues with the right end or make piles.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...