• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The bullish case

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bullish case

this post ended up very long, so first off, here is the Cliff's notes version:
    Anything central banks or governments do to try to control inflation can not possibly work on any product which is in short supply. As of today, the market may believe that commodity prices are(were) this high because of money printing, or cheap interest, and that removing those two will magically make the shortages or the causes of those shortages go away, so they are exiting from commodities. That may be true for lumber, etc. But most definitely doesn't apply to non discretionary products such as food, or the inputs required to grow process and distribute it.
    The long version now:
    This article about palm oil is worth reading:

Malaysian palm oil farmers weren't able to secure enough fertilizer, even if money was no issue. As a result of this and shortage of labour, the Malaysian Palm oil association predicts the yields will be off as much as 25% compared to earlier predictions. And Malaysia is responsible for about 10% of world veg oil production. Off the top of my head, that would be a bigger drop than Canada's canola oil drop due to drought last year. This is the last sentence:
    plus there’s the high cost of labor and fertilizers,” Cheng said. “Oil palm plantations are not growing but shrinking due to areas being abandoned over the last few years Abandoned Due to high costs. Yet our politicians and bankers think that raising interest rates and withdrawing capital from the market will improve the supply shortages. It will only exacerbate them.

This is just a single example of what is happening all over the world right now, especially in the developing world. Peter Zeihan has been beating this drum for months. He says we won't know until harvest, but that yields in much of the(developing) world will be greatly reduced due to input shortages and being cost prohibitive. Does this 25% reduction apply across the board? He is talking about global famine starting very soon.

The reason we had the pleasure of paying so much for fertilizer, is that we had to compete with the rest of the world for a much reduced supply. First world countries with strong currencies ( relatively speaking) and access to capital/financing, and home grown production in many cases, managed to obtain our inputs at the expense of the rest of the world who fought over the table scraps.

There exists the very real possibility ( I'd go so far as to say it is guaranteed) that Russia will cut off gas to Europe next winter, if sanctions and equipment shortages or war don't do it sooner. Fertilizer will be the first industry to be shut down again when gas is in short supply. All oil, gas and coal are in a structural deficit that will take years to recitify, even without economic growth, even with economic contraction. The industry has been so starved of capital due to low prices and insane green policies that even with oil now at over $100, replacement at all stages is still way behind usage.
    And not just natural gas. the same applies directly to fertilizer and food.

South America imports virtually all fertilizer. Brazil has a plan to reduce imports from 85% to 45%. By 2050. Almost 30 years. This isn't going to be solved overnight by hiking interest rates. That won't speed up that timeline from 30 years to 30 days, in fact it will extend the timeline, given how captial intensive the process will be.

Shortage of inputs, plus increasing capital costs will reduce production of virtually everything, at a time when they need to be increasing.

Another good( bad) example is Sri Lanka. Supposedly went organic for altruistic reasons. But as it turned out, they couldn't afford to import inputs, so the government legislated all farms to be organic. And that was long before the war even started. Same with the Malaysia story above, it mentions that the trend of under fertilization has been going on for 2 to 3 years already. These examples will become increasingly common. Their exports are removed from the market, their imports increase, if they can afford to import food.

The current market action might be hard on the stomach, and might look justified based on weather and crop conditions across the first world as of today, and we might have convinced ourselves that demand for ag commodities is flexible, raise interest rates and we will all eat less calories, but, given all the above, even if the major exporters all have average or above crops, it cannot make up for the defecit of the rest of the world. We don't need to have a drought.

That won't keep the market from throwing the baby out with the bath water, but lower prices to producers will only make it worse.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jun 23, 2022, 09:56.

Great article, it makes a lot of good points of how this plays out. Sounds like we should let the bears have their days, but the bull will be back soon.

Comment

The fed and the MSM are trying to control inflation with fear, just like they did with covid. Recession talk al over the news now, so the sheep will fall in line and stop spending.

The fed has a rate hike or two in the cards then they are done. If they try to take rates above CPI, they will nuke the entire system. And they know it.

Canada is spending $150M a day servicing our massive debt burden.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
        Great article, it makes a lot of good points of how this plays out. Sounds like we should let the bears have their days, but the bull will be back soon.
        To clarify, this wasn't an article, I wrote it. With credit to the sources where applicable.

Comment

From Germany today:
          Triggering the highest alert level could force Germany to ration gas for industrial customers to spare homes, schools and hospitals and would mean a severe hit to the economy.

and
          To encourage further savings, the government plans to hold auctions paying large industrial consumers to relinquish their contracts.

You don't get much more large and industrial than a nitrogen fertilizer plant. And this will be repeated in every region that imports natural gas.

Comment

Sorry Alberta, agree with your senario, well written.👍

Comment

During the great depression there were crop failures due to drought all over western North America while prices fell at the same time due to lack of demand. Lack of demand is caused by no confidence. Now that the greater depression is here, expect more of the same. My guess is that there will not be any further interest rate increases as the recession gathers steam. Expect prices at the pump to fall dramatically after the July long.

Comment

Ajl, you make a very convincing case. And would seem like the most logical outcome.
                I would argue that in the almost a century since the Great depression, the causes, and the responses which prolonged and made it worse have been studied ad nauseam.
                The market was starved of capital too deep and for too long. While we could argue that that is a necessary phase of the business cycle, to cleanse the market of bad debt inefficiencies and mal investment, the powers that be desperately don't want the business cycle to do what it is supposed to do. It is very hard to get reelected when you are blamed for causing a depression. People tend to revolt leaders lose their heads.
                Which is what led people such as former fed Ben bernanke to propose helicopter money. Which is what has kept us from having another extended Great depression ever since.
                Central banks, at least in the prosperous first world countries have all the tools they need to prevent another great depression. And if they can do that, then that gives latitude to the developing nations to do similar without completely devaluing their own currencies. Which is almost exactly what we just saw happen during covid. When all currencies devalued at relatively comparable rates.
                I don't profess to know how many more times this can be successful, but I have been hearing from my entire life that it is not sustainable and will crash at any moment.
                And realistically, unless one country manages to responsible and wean themselves off of this model, there seems to be nothing stopping us from just adding zeros collectively.
                2008 should have been our next great depression, but money printing saved the day yet again. Starting Only months after the world was supposedly going to end due to inflation. In the end, it took over a decade before those policies led to the inflation we are experiencing today.

Comment

AF5

I would argue that the “New Green Deal” both in the EU and North America has unbuckled inflation.

Decarbonization of our civilization necessarily destroys civilization… causing depopulation and collapse of Conventional historical western prosperity.

Unless we can create well over 200trillion $$$ ‘s of productivity from ‘decarbonization…’ this mis-adventure is doomed to crater western civilization as we have known it… as well as dooming the 3rd world countries to poverty and depopulation.

Cheers

Comment

Canola has given back all the gains since the start of Putin's war.

Took the stairs going up and the elevator down.

With all sellers and few buyers must have been scarey trying to get out of longs?

Canola is one example but the whole commodity board is similar.

Probably oversold but I'm not willing to bet either way.

Comment

Thank you tom, and I agree. I definitely worded my last sentence wrong. I was trying to indicate how more than a decade of supposedly highly inflationary money printing since 2008 did not result in inflation during that entire period. And as you say, the criminally misguided green policies and resulting High energy prices are at the root of all current inflation. As I said in another thread, if all of this printed money had gone into assets which would increase our productivity, it wouldn't have had to be inflationary at all. Instead, huge sums were wasted on chasing unicorns

Comment

I sold some old crop wheat. $13.70, not a disaster. Not the $17.25 of my previous sale. It will bounce but from what level.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Thank you tom, and I agree. I definitely worded my last sentence wrong. I was trying to indicate how more than a decade of supposedly highly inflationary money printing since 2008 did not result in inflation during that entire period. And as you say, the criminally misguided green policies and resulting High energy prices are at the root of all current inflation. As I said in another thread, if all of this printed money had gone into assets which would increase our productivity, it wouldn't have had to be inflationary at all. Instead, huge sums were wasted on chasing unicorns
                          Not many people understand how the money supply is increased and the types of assets that create inflation.

Comment

😳

Comment

Just watching this Peter Zeihan video.

Lots of info and stats about present and future fertilizer shortages.

One stat really jumps out. A list of almost 50 ag commodities, which according to him, for each of those, within the next year, 2 of the top five producers(countries) will have to stop producing because they can't get nitrogen fertilizer. Obviously this is an over simplistic assumption, production wouldn't "stop" even with no fertilizer, but the yield reductions would be drastic. Keeping in mind that he has a book to sell, so take any prognostications especially negative ones with a grain of salt.

The map at the 48 minute mark is worth noting.

Closing statement is that the inflation we have today will be the lowest we experience for at least the next 5 years.
                              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jun 24, 2022, 00:33.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...