• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morris 9 series air cart gremlin

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks !

Comment

Find a good spray bottle from windex or something and mix about 25% dish soap with water and use that in your search. Spray it on all your lids, seams, hoses involved like the other guys say. If you don’t find any leaks that would be causing it, then I would go back to the metering system and make sure there is no wear on the flutes or play on that shaft in the sections affected, or a build up. Switching hoses and if the pattern moves to a new section of the drill would eliminate all possibility of an air kit problem. If the seeds are thick in the pattern spots, I can’t tell in the pics if they are, then it’s definitely a lack of air problem. If the seeds aren’t thick in those spots, then it’s metering half as much and you have to find the reason why.

Comment

I assume this isn't a problem you can find right away, by dropping seed above ground perhaps, or do have to wait for the crop to emerge? That would definitely make diagnosing more difficult, if it takes an entire season to know if a fix has helped. Do Morris rollers have segments like Flexicoil? Can they spin on the shaft?

Comment

It looks like the seed is getting suspended by air above the metering wheel, is it the same on all of your tanks or just one?

Comment

I wonder it the metering shaft seal is missing or leaking.

Comment

We had similar problem with our Bourgault, it was the equalization hose that pressurizes the tank would get plugged. Your case being just the outside wings it doesn’t quite fit, but the problem originates at the tank since all hoses and manifolds have been checked. That leaves you with the meter and tank pressurization. I don’t think it’s possible for the metering rolls to slip so my best guess would be tank pressurization.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                It looks like the seed is getting suspended by air above the metering wheel, is it the same on all of your tanks or just one?
                mostly front , but thats mostly used for the canary/oats that are the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                  We had similar problem with our Bourgault, it was the equalization hose that pressurizes the tank would get plugged. Your case being just the outside wings it doesn’t quite fit, but the problem originates at the tank since all hoses and manifolds have been checked. That leaves you with the meter and tank pressurization. I don’t think it’s possible for the metering rolls to slip so my best guess would be tank pressurization.
                  yea , you're right , wheels cannot slip

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimeOperator View Post
                    Find a good spray bottle from windex or something and mix about 25% dish soap with water and use that in your search. Spray it on all your lids, seams, hoses involved like the other guys say. If you don’t find any leaks that would be causing it, then I would go back to the metering system and make sure there is no wear on the flutes or play on that shaft in the sections affected, or a build up. Switching hoses and if the pattern moves to a new section of the drill would eliminate all possibility of an air kit problem. If the seeds are thick in the pattern spots, I can’t tell in the pics if they are, then it’s definitely a lack of air problem. If the seeds aren’t thick in those spots, then it’s metering half as much and you have to find the reason why.
                    for sure the spots are heavier than they should be , goes heavy, light, nothing , repeat and then lots where theres no problem

Comment

i should say it primarily only does it in oats and canary
                      canary definitely the worst
                      never does it in canola (but it always gets seeded outta middle tank)
                      never did it with borage ,which is very light , when we grew it

Comment

we also put camera cables in-between lids and rubber seal , but do that with all tanks , and did with previous 8370 tank also

Comment

also came to the conclusion we are maybe running tractor to low RPM , 1400-1500, as these STX are pretty weak hydraulics ?
                          hydraulic flow has been checked

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            also came to the conclusion we are maybe running tractor to low RPM , 1400-1500, as these STX are pretty weak hydraulics ?
                            hydraulic flow has been checked
                            If you set up gauges in each tank you can watch[positive tank pressures inside the seed tank].. on the Deere they need between .5 and 1 atmosphere positive to allow seed to drop into meters/manifold air streams consistently. The beginning of the pass going in requires the most positive air pressure to get the flow of the seed going down into the air stream in the manifold pipes... Deere has a separate valve on each seed tank now... that allows operator the capability of increasing and decreasing the positive tank pressure... which must be checked while seeding to get the operational positive air pressure accurate for proper seed flow into the meter in each tank. When steering hydraulics and seed tool hydraulics are taking oil flow away from your fans... see how much the fan rpm drops. if it drops 15-20%... that can create the same decrease % wise inside the seed tank positive air tank pressure... allowing the seed to bridge instead of feeding into the meter.

Flexicoil was the first out with patients... Deere stole flexicoil [air seeder] engineers... then had difficulties getting the seed flow into the high air flow stream down below.

The other issue is on double shoots... feeding the top manifolds is easier than if the seed must drop down past the top manifolds through into the bottom manifolds... harder feeding seed needs to be in the top manifolds in our Deere. Flexicoil does not have any problems with accuracy of seeding rates and consistency of seed feeding into the meter. Design issues...again from patient design issues[Flexicoil guys said].

Cheers

Comment

We run 2 9000 series air carts and if the fan rpm drops below 4400 we have issues. Plugged lines, surging, backups etc.

Comment

May I hijack your thread? Since all the air cart experts seem to be here already.

On our three tank flexicoil cart, I always feed two fertilizer tanks at once, into one stream. As per the book, I set the front( tow between cart) tank to max air velocity, and the 2nd in line at the bare minimum.

And randomly it will plug one of the manifold tubes between tank one and two.

I usually pick it up right away on the blockage/rate monitor, since the flow on that section drops by almost 2/3's.

2 different carts, both do it, no rhyme or reason, it can happen on any of the runs.

Can't turn up the front tank air any more, or turn down the second any more(fully closed). The old tank had some air leaks, so I blamed that, but this one doesn't have any leaks.

What else can be done?

requires dropping the manifold every time. I carry a 1.5" angle iron that I can push all the way in and carry the fertilizer back out.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...