Test Side by sides Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Side by sides

Test
Jul 2, 2022 | 07:21 61 [QUOTE=furrowtickler;543548]First year of soil treatment , only one shot so far



Two years of Crop Aid Plus soil amendment

[/QUOTE


Thank you for sharing your plot work.

What is approximate product cost/acre/application of the Crop Aid Plus? Reply With Quote
jazz's Avatar Jul 2, 2022 | 07:34 62 furrow, you should head to the UofS and get some side line work in the ag research dept. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Jul 2, 2022 | 07:37 63 The seed treatment on cereals and peas works out to about $4/ac
    The crop aid plus is $5-6 /ac
    We add the Plus to the Alpine or Liquid 28 at seeding. Then you can also add it to either the herbicide or fungicide application Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 07:42 64
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    furrow, you should head to the UofS and get some side line work in the ag research dept.
    I just happen to know a few people a lot smarter than me and am willing to see with an open mind .
    It’s those people who should be at the UofS .
    I graduated with a few of these very smart guys at the UofS back in the early 90’s .
    Learned from the pea root rot train wreck that we needed to fix our soils . Adding foliars and fungicide after the fact is just simply a bandaid to the real issue in the soils around here . Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 09:26 65 Have you had any luck with the pea root rot issue?

    Seems here that reserve soil moisture is the difference. Dry in 2021 no pea root rot. Lots of June rain in 2022, but no soil reserve moisture and no pea root rot.

    Not sure if the previous 12 month bone dry soil reduced innoculum levels or lack of spring subsoil moisture or both. Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 09:28 66
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    The seed treatment on cereals and peas works out to about $4/ac
    The crop aid plus is $5-6 /ac
    We add the Plus to the Alpine or Liquid 28 at seeding. Then you can also add it to either the herbicide or fungicide application
    Thanks for posting all your trials and results. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 2, 2022 | 09:38 67
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    In fact , the soil amendment we are using now is making a huge difference in our clay soils ..



    Building carbon without the Gabe Brown system….
    Gabe builds his bank account from speaking tours. Reply With Quote

  • Jul 2, 2022 | 10:36 68
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy View Post
    Have you had any luck with the pea root rot issue?

    Seems here that reserve soil moisture is the difference. Dry in 2021 no pea root rot. Lots of June rain in 2022, but no soil reserve moisture and no pea root rot.

    Not sure if the previous 12 month bone dry soil reduced innoculum levels or lack of spring subsoil moisture or both.
    It has more to do with soil than anything
    We had root rot in dryish years as well .
    Add in 3-4 crop year rotation, herbicides that cause injury at the worst time when the peas are not quite nodulating yet and cool mornings before or after herbicide application or a heavy rain after a pre emergence herbicide

    For us it was mostly compacted clay soils was the main reason. Add in one or more of the above and it made the situation worse dramatically.

    A healthy soil , and a herbicide application that causes no injury and peas can do well even if aphenomycies is present . Fusarium root rot was the biggest issue here
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 3, 2022 at 04:50.
    Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 10:45 69
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    It has more to do with soil than anything
    We had root rot in dryish years as well .
    Add in 3-4 crop year rotation, herbicides that cause injury at the worst time when the peas are not quite nodulating yet and cool mornings before or after herbicide application or a heavy rain after a pre emergence herbicide

    For us it was mostly compacted clay soils was the main reason. Add in one or more of the above and it made the situation worse dramatically.

    A healthy soil , and a herbicide application that causes no injury and peas cause do well even if aphenomycies is present . Fusarium root rot was the biggest issue here
    You have Speers Solonetzic soils? We have some those and they can be a bugger if not in that Goldilocks zone. Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 11:42 70 If you were Clay soil in any way resembled our gray wooded clay soil before you started with the amendments, then that is nothing short of a miracle. We have aggregates the size of a basketball typically.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that we are starting from completely different initial conditions. Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 12:58 71

    And this has some moisture
    When dry , it’s even more blocky and layered Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2022 | 17:10 72 The only solar panels I am interested in ..
    Reply With Quote

  • Jul 4, 2022 | 06:31 73
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Going to need a miracle to be knee high by 4th of July! Corn and Soy are warm blooded crops... cool Augusts... just like growing Lentils... make maturing these crops with mature decent yields... a 1 year in 5 proposition... unless you believe in global warming... which fails to materialize in last half August/September much too often...[3 out of 5 years].
    Not far off now ….


    Definitely need more heat units but coming along Reply With Quote
    Jul 5, 2022 | 18:44 74 There was quite the debate here last fall about spraying after harvest ……..

    Sprayed


    Not sprayed

    Reply With Quote
    Jul 5, 2022 | 18:51 75 The same side by side fields last October Reply With Quote
    Jul 5, 2022 | 18:52 76 Reply With Quote
    Austranada's Avatar Jul 6, 2022 | 05:18 77
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Just pulled from surface

    Anything we dug out is just fine
    Not seeing much of a rhizosphere there
    I can see remnants of the seed treatment colour so it appears you're applying a fungicide seed treatment therefore working against yourself compromising the mycorrhizal development. Have a look at this taken earlier today. Bare seed treated with multi species beneficial bacteria and fungi.
    Reply With Quote
    Jul 6, 2022 | 05:39 78
    Quote Originally Posted by Austranada View Post
    Not seeing much of a rhizosphere there
    I can see remnants of the seed treatment colour so it appears you're applying a fungicide seed treatment therefore working against yourself compromising the mycorrhizal development. Have a look at this taken earlier today. Bare seed treated with multi species beneficial bacteria and fungi.
    We use 1/2 rate seed treatment with a Crop Aid seed treatment nutrient that includes kelp and bacteria as well . Don’t need to be lectured on seed treatments. I know , phasing them out when we can after we get the soil back in shape .
    I will dig plants properly and show roots nice a washed too lol.
    Nice root system there, is that on your farm ? What kind of soil ? How much moisture to date ?
    Is that from you friends farm ? Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2022 | 12:59 79

    Fertilizer salts not friendly in cool dry springs … Reply With Quote
    Austranada's Avatar Jul 8, 2022 | 05:31 80
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    We use 1/2 rate seed treatment with a Crop Aid seed treatment nutrient that includes kelp and bacteria as well . Don’t need to be lectured on seed treatments. I know , phasing them out when we can after we get the soil back in shape .
    I will dig plants properly and show roots nice a washed too lol.
    Nice root system there, is that on your farm ? What kind of soil ? How much moisture to date ?
    Is that from you friends farm ?
    This is from a demonstration site east of Tambellup. Several 20 hectare plots with a few different things happening. Sown may 24th into good conditions, approx 50 mm in may and 65 mm rain in June.Few sprinkles in July with 5 to 10 mm coming tomorrow. Soil is a classic duplex in this region, gravelly loam with sandier areas over clay at variable depths. pH about 5.3 and 2% organic carbon. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2022 | 07:51 81
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    We use 1/2 rate seed treatment with a Crop Aid seed treatment nutrient that includes kelp and bacteria as well . Don’t need to be lectured on seed treatments. I know , phasing them out when we can after we get the soil back in shape .
    I will dig plants properly and show roots nice a washed too lol.
    Nice root system there, is that on your farm ? What kind of soil ? How much moisture to date ?
    Is that from you friends farm ?
    A very smart guy once pointed out that it took thousands of years for seed coats to evolve giving them the best chance to survive and reproduce.

    But we can make that better by coating them with nice shiny colored polymers to keep whatever must be applied to greatly enhance survivability. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 18, 2022 | 07:12 82 Canola side by side , planter and drill . Moisture stress showing


    Planter at 2.3 lbs left , drill at 5.5 lbs right , same variety.

    Kinda hard to tell from pictures but the 5.5 lbs is now blasting top flowers and has smaller pods . Reply With Quote
    Jul 18, 2022 | 07:17 83 Planter


    Drill


    We seen the same thing but much more exaggerated last year in side by sides
    The lower seeding rate held on about 7-10 days longer in hot and dry conditions. The higher seeding rates topped out at 15 bus / ac and the planter 24 bus / ac under very dry conditions.
    Although much better this year we are still below 6.5 in here for the most part . Last year was about 3.6 . Reply With Quote

  • Jul 21, 2022 | 07:32 84 Now close to 14 days with no more than 1/10
    Stress is showing

    Side by side , same variety
    Left with planter at 2.2 lbs
    Right with drill at 5.4 lbs
    Reply With Quote
    Jul 21, 2022 | 07:33 85 Drill ….


    Planter ….


    Planter canola still hanging on Reply With Quote
    Aug 2, 2022 | 07:23 86 Sunnies doing well by our seeding rate trials in canola

    Reply With Quote
    Aug 2, 2022 | 07:50 87

    Same field. The podded canola was seeded May 12. The flowering canola was reseeded June 4. Gophers had about an acre chewed right off. Eliminated as many gophers as we could and then reseeded as an experiment. Reply With Quote
    Aug 2, 2022 | 07:53 88 Furrow at the start of this thread you had a picture of one crop seeded with a Bourgault, the other with a seedmaster. How do those crops look today? Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Aug 2, 2022 | 09:10 89
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamloc View Post
    Furrow at the start of this thread you had a picture of one crop seeded with a Bourgault, the other with a seedmaster. How do those crops look today?
    I will get some pictures now that’s it’s maturing

    Will try to get head and kernel counts
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 2, 2022 at 09:12.
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Aug 14, 2022 | 08:02 90 Soybean plots




    Caught an inch of rain and some small hail but look unaffected.

    Should fill out and have a chance to finish this year with the warm weather the next 2 weeks Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like