• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100s Of Dead Cattle Hit By Kansas Heatwave

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helmach View Post
    25% of Australia's cattle heard is black angus. I heard it gets hot down there?
    I’m sure Mallee will know a better geographic cut off but Bos Taurus breeds in Australia are predominantly in southern states like NSW and Victoria. You get into the tropical regions like Queensland and NT and it’s Bos Indicus area.

It’s a hot country but that doesn’t mean it’s all equally as hot. It’s not all desert and rainforest. They keep different cattle in different areas.

Comment

In the USA south of the Mason Dixon line cattle have some “ear” on them (Brahma/Zebu bos indicus influence). Brazil has a lot of Nelore cattle which is a bos indicus breed. Further south in Argentina you see a lot of the same types of continental and British type breeds. Certain types of cattle are kept in certain areas because they work best there. For whatever reason Hereford cattle do not work well in my area but Lethbridge area they thrive. The blockier thicker types that I prefer in my climate don’t work well further south where a rangier type does better. Non bos indicus cows of any breed can’t handle sudden heat waves like what happened. I don’t think I could handle that sort of heat neither. Same goes when a early winter storm pops up or a cold wave hits feedlots and ranches can lose piles of cattle. That storm which hit North Dakota several years ago killed 75000 head. Weather extremes kill livestock. Thanks Blaithin for your better explanation. You know this better than me.

Comment

I remember looking into it more during the heatwave last year. My summer pasture has no access to trees so I was concerned about the heat effects on the herd. Primarily that that was right when everyone was being bred so I was researching what impacts it could have on conception and first trimester miscarriage.

There’s a handful of things that can be done to help cool off cattle but what’s manageable for a smaller herd becomes incredibly complicated to get going quickly on a large scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
          I remember looking into it more during the heatwave last year. My summer pasture has no access to trees so I was concerned about the heat effects on the herd. Primarily that that was right when everyone was being bred so I was researching what impacts it could have on conception and first trimester miscarriage.

There’s a handful of things that can be done to help cool off cattle but what’s manageable for a smaller herd becomes incredibly complicated to get going quickly on a large scale.
          Always interesting to hear from people who are in the business 👍

Comment

There is a heat wave across the entire south including big ranches in TX/OK. How come no cattle dying there.

If cows dropped every time there was 100deg the cattle industry would be non existent on this continent.

Not buying it.

Comment

The coincidences of harm In all the sectors of ag and food have become statistically un-believable.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/another-food-plant-erupts-flames
              Pars
              Last edited by parsley; Jun 17, 2022, 18:16. Reason: Context

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                There is a heat wave across the entire south including big ranches in TX/OK. How come no cattle dying there.

If cows dropped every time there was 100deg the cattle industry would be non existent on this continent.

Not buying it.
                Kinda why I was asking for numbers from many previous heat waves . Was just curious why this was such an extraordinary event compared to others .
                Always tough to see animals die from heat or cold.
                There was a big heard NE of here that lost many animals this winter from cold and lack of food . Never a good situation

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

Not buying it.
                  It’s interesting that those with cattle and with cattle experience say it’s possible, yet those without say it’s not.

Why bother learning from people who are knowledgeable when you can just assume along with other people who are not knowledgeable.

Comment

I’m sure Mallee will know a better geographic cut off but Bos Taurus breeds in Australia are predominantly in southern states like NSW and Victoria. You get into the tropical regions like Queensland and NT and it’s Bos Indicus area.

It’s a hot country but that doesn’t mean it’s all equally as hot. It’s not all desert and rainforest. They keep different cattle in different areas.
                    That’s roughly right blaithin. I used to have 80 head of pure beautiful black Angus. Really reckon it’s acclimatisation thing. Sept Oct we sneak in high 20s low thirties Nov 30 to 35 Dec Jan Feb 34 to 44 we just kept water up and plenty of it doubt we lost a single animal with heat

Comment

Today just a magnificent crop growing winters day think peaked out at 18.5c

Comment

It’s interesting that those with cattle and with cattle experience say it’s possible, yet those without say it’s not.

Why bother learning from people who are knowledgeable when you can just assume along with other people who are not knowledgeable.
                        Not once did anyone suggest it's not plausible for animals too not die of heat exposer as you have stated. Many things in this world have been pushed as "right" by experts or knowledgeable ppl that have proven to be misleading or false given time... only have to go back the last two yrs for many many examples of this.

This particular situation looks fishy for more than one reason to many that have worked and lived around cattle there entire lives including myself, couple that with planned wars, shortages of many parts and products that we are all experiencing (liberty for ex this incrop season) weird food shortages (baby formula), livestock dying in masses, commercial food production plants not just one two or three having fires or shutdowns but tens if not hundreds. Is it that unplausable to suspect foul play in this situation especially when the heat wave isn't a isolated event to Kansas right now and there are plenty other feedlots in the area that were unaffected by said same heat wave and acclamation.

Makes one wonder if this is the spin story used to push the justification and narrative for mnra vaccines for our livestock? Heat tolerance genome editing?

One must question everything especially after the last 2 yrs of "truth and science" we have lived thro and had rammed down our throats.

Remember... many of yesterday's "conspiracy theories" are now know as today's facts.

But I'm just a no good dirt farmer pay me no mind... I just like to ask questions about the narratives we are being told is fact

Comment

We ran cattle for 30 yrs blaithin, in the SW part of sask where its routinely 30 deg for July and August and doesnt rain.

We used to move them in that kind of heat too.

Never did I see any color of cow simply drop dead from the heat. If they have water, they have no problems. In 1988 the temp was over 30 deg every day for June and July and August and we hauled water to the pasture.
                          Last edited by jazz; Jun 18, 2022, 05:55.

Comment

It wasn’t that long ago some nature reserve in SW Saskatchewan had more than 40 dead cows, government insisted it was lightning but the vets said the cows didn’t have water, I do believe the cow boss finally took the blame for not turning on the water, the guys that track lightning said no lightning in the area. I’d think a search on the net would bring it up but no dice. I thought it was on the Old man on his back nature reserve.

Comment

The weather people are calling for +32, we haven’t gotten much weather over +20 lately, it’ll be pretty tough checking cows this afternoon as all of them will be hiding in the thorn bushes, I do feel sorry for the critters that can’t find shade, but I definitely have market cornered on thorn bushes.

Comment

My niece and her husband farm in Queensland. I believe their cattle are an angus Brahma cross. My son has been there. He said it is much different than here because the land area is so vast. Very little human contact with the cattle. Brahma genetics are required to cope with the heat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...