• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

municipal election?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

municipal election?

So Emerald how did things go in your election? Any big shakeups and if so what are the implications?
    In Red Deer County, we got rid of two councillors and decided next time we'll have an elected reeve. The farm vote was pretty consistent for keeping the old system intact while the "city slickers" voted heavily for an elected reeve!...so guess where the elected reeve is likely to come from?
    I believe now the county will require another division so we won't have a deadlocked vote...I doubt the powers that be would ever consider having one less division? Always seems to be MORE government never less?
    This municipality is rapidly moving towards the day when the suburbanites control policy, instead of the farmers. In my opinion that is not a good thing.

Huge housecleaning here !! The Reeve who was also the vice president of AAMD C was defeated 1536-499 votes by a former Reeve and Councillor who is just plain good people !!
    Another incumbent who was part of the 3-2 split on most capital projects was ousted as well. Two incumbents were returned by a huge margin. Four new councillors that all appear to be excellent choices.
    Lots of changes across the Province, I am guessing about 40% turnover. Some of the main ones are Mountainview, Brazeau, Newell, Woodlands County, Leduc County etc. I had some of them guessed right but missed the boat on others.
    Most of the larger rural municipalities that are close to urban centres are going to an elected Reeve/Mayor. Sturgeon, Strathcona, Parkland, Yellowhead and Brazeau all have elected Reeves now, as does Lesser Slave River, which isn't excactly near a large centre.
    In our area, there was such disgust with the attitude and decision making of the council that the Reeve election wasn't so much in support of the new fellow as it was to make a huge change.
    Elected officials can never lose sight of the fact that the people are the ones with the power !

Comment

So I assume you had a good turnout? Not sure what it was here, but Calgary came in at around 20%! Pretty sad, considering how much municipal policy can affect our lives?

Comment

The estimate is around 45% turnout here, which is way up from three years ago. The unrest amongst the public, combined with the very damning report by the investigator who was commisisoned by Municipal Affairs,certainly had a lot to do with getting people out.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...