• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good idea for very wet areas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good idea for very wet areas

Nice, I set up something similar with a Salford Pathfinder cart.

Comment

If the soil is move able I guess that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        If the soil is move able I guess that would work.
        If you can pull this... my 56' 1870 Conservapak will pull easier!

Cheers

Comment

Looks like rice is a better option.

Comment

Better than buying a floater?
            Much better metering.
            Wind not as big an issue

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
              If you can pull this... my 56' 1870 Conservapak will pull easier!

Cheers

On zero till, never been stuck. Load the front two tanks only on the cart so the cart weight goes on the rear tractor tires. (800’s)Have seeded when muddy spinning 50% of the time.

Cheers

Comment

You guys must have nice soil! You go on my clay wet and spin around the field with a harrow you are asking for a disaster.
                The cost of canola seed I won't scatter it on top. If I can't get dirt on top the seed it can stay in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                  You guys must have nice soil! You go on my clay wet and spin around the field with a harrow you are asking for a disaster.
                  The cost of canola seed I won't scatter it on top. If I can't get dirt on top the seed it can stay in the bag.
                  Yeah the soil needs to be dry enough to move it. If it isn’t, nothing will work. If it is, may as well just pull the drill.

Comment

Except a 5710 will pack the H*LL out of it...in 2010 what I had seeded and then RAIN RAIN RAIN, made a 15 bu weedy stunted crop. Really no right answers, lots of experiments going on, rather have dirt over seed, floaters PACK the sh*t out of tracks when wet. Good luck guys, try whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post

On zero till, never been stuck. Load the front two tanks only on the cart so the cart weight goes on the rear tractor tires. (800’s)Have seeded when muddy spinning 50% of the time.

Cheers
                      Not sure you understand how wet entire areas are
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; May 24, 2022, 07:25.

Comment

The harrows not for every area obviously, but will work in many

Comment

Back when we planted with a disc drill there was the odd time we would get behind so to speed thing up and beat a rain we would spread fertilizer and canola and spread it on the field . Then cultivated followed by harrow packer. The field still had to be dry enough that the soil had tilth. This was successful the few time we did it because rain right after.
                          Treated Canola seed was $1.00 lb at the time so it did not feel like that big of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                            Back when we planted with a disc drill there was the odd time we would get behind so to speed thing up and beat a rain we would spread fertilizer and canola and spread it on the field . Then cultivated followed by harrow packer. The field still had to be dry enough that the soil had tilth. This was successful the few time we did it because rain right after.
                            Treated Canola seed was $1.00 lb at the time so it did not feel like that big of risk.
                            I watched a guy at Wynyard on Sunday trying to seed, and they are much dryer than we are here. The desperation was obvious, the ruts were terrible. For the guys who don’t understand fully. Go find your wettest spot where you may get stuck, or where you would typically go around when seeding. Now extrapolate that spot onto your whole farm. Imagine if your whole farm was that wet. Maybe that picture will help a bit?

One guy near me was out compacting his land I presume trying to “dry it out” with one of those glorified recreational disc machines. What a mess! One guy seeded a bit yesterday, but the conditions are horrible. Just because you can drag a seeder through a field does not mean it’s going to work. I think my land needs a week to become suitable.

Every landscape is different, organic matter and texture, topography, it matters so much on a year like this. It’s hard to speak for someone else’s land, whether it is suitable or not. But ruts, lumps, and slime tell the tale. The guys who need 25 days to seed vs. 10, all that information is telling.

It can’t rain Friday/Saturday here. It simply can’t. Or it’s finished before most started.

ETA some land was made to produce with a dry bias. Some is better when it’s a wet bias. My land needs dry to perform.
                            Last edited by Sheepwheat; May 24, 2022, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                              Except a 5710 will pack the H*LL out of it...in 2010 what I had seeded and then RAIN RAIN RAIN, made a 15 bu weedy stunted crop. Really no right answers, lots of experiments going on, rather have dirt over seed, floaters PACK the sh*t out of tracks when wet. Good luck guys, try whatever.
                              I don’t who named them floaters?
                              I always see them as sinkers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...