• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potash derailment Fort Macleod

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potash derailment Fort Macleod

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/43-cp-rail-cars-carrying-potash-derail-east-of-fort-macleod-alta-1.5914463

I thought potash fertilizer was red?

Comment

The video I seen sure was not potash … any of it
      Oh well they will drive the price of that up 2x regardless

Comment

Sure looked like urea

Comment

Looks like they got caught shipping nitrogen out and had to make a story up.
          Last edited by 6V53; May 24, 2022, 01:19.

Comment

6V
            If thats true, its a story worth investigating!

I wouldn't doubt it

Comment

From what I understand it is white potash, white potash has the iron removed from it and is used in commercial products as in laundry soap.

Comment

Some solution mines like the one near Belle Plain produce white 0-0-62.

Can disolve the fine product to produce 0-0-12 liquid. More for vegtable fertigation etc.
                As TSIPP says the iron is an impurity and doesn't go into solution. Just floats around on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
                  From what I understand it is white potash, white potash has the iron removed from it and is used in commercial products as in laundry soap.
                  Good info.

Comment

Learn something new everyday, good to know

Comment

Now the white phosphate freaked me out this spring , I was sure they had screwed up and gave me a blend, but they swore it is 11 51 0.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                        Now the white phosphate freaked me out this spring , I was sure they had screwed up and gave me a blend, but they swore it is 11 51 0.
                        white... as in all white? I had some this year that was green, some that was pure brown, and some that had maybe 30% white prills intermixed with brown.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                          white... as in all white? I had some this year that was green, some that was pure brown, and some that had maybe 30% white prills intermixed with brown.
                          When each new load contains different size prills, it really messes up the rate on the blockage monitor they seem to count every individual Prill that goes by, regardless of size. Refill the drill from a new batch of fertilizer and suddenly the rate is drastically different according to the blockage sensors

Comment

Red Potash vs. White Potash - What Is The Difference?

Farm Journal
                            By DAVIS MICHAELSEN September 10, 2012

Potash accounts for 90% of all the potassium applied to farmland soil in the U.S. in the form of Muriate of Potash (MOP). Potash ore is mined from a half mile beneath the Earth's surface with Canada leading global potash production, followed by Belarus, Russia, and China. Once potash ore has been brought to the surface, it can be processed in one of two ways.
                            White potash is the result of a dissolution and recrystallization process. The ore is dissolved under pressure in hot brine and when the mixture cools, white MOP containing 98% potassium chloride is the produced.

Red potash is first crushed very finely to produce single mineral grains. It is then put through a floatation process and red MOP is skimmed off the top. Traces of iron ore remain in red MOP, giving it a reddish or pink hue, yielding 95% potassium chloride.
                            Agronomically the two are basically the same. Both red and white MOP lend valuable potassium and chloride to the soil and are equally soluble. Each of the two contain around 47% chloride but because of the process of dissolution and recrystallization that white potash undergoes, red potash tends to be less expensive and more readily available, making it the number one MOP choice for most U.S. growers."

Comment

The brown shit comes up the river on barges from Florida.
                              The green shit probably western phosphate out of Pocatello area by truck.
                              White shit may be Russian.
                              Depends what the rock looks like at the mine.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...