• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedlots

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedlots

Are feedlots out west really backed up right now and is there packing plant problems health wise ?

I don't have a clue, but to say maybe there are still alot of cull cows and good cows getting sold.

bids at a buck a pound for cows will move cows off grass or reduce herds .

JMHO

Comment

This is the least amount of cows we’ve had forever. Culled enough last fall and didn’t keep back many heifers last year as hay and pasture needed rejuvenation and wasn’t a lot of heifers I liked. Kept a lot more heifers for this spring as I liked them better. Besides cows get old. Kind of glad I didn’t have the numbers while stretching feed supplies. Not worth feeding yourself broke, and I want to preserve the core group that produce females which suit my lack of management. Makes me wonder with good ones going to town there is bound to be a shortage of calves hitting the lots. Right now if lots are backing up it’s cause packers are killing D’s and maybe some B’s cause they’re cheap and a quick sell into impending bbq season.

Comment

I haven’t heard anything.

Last couple lots I’ve driven past seem 3/4 to 2/3 full.

Sounds like corn trains might be slowing down which has given me the impression that feedlots are saying they don’t want much grain for the summer.
        Last edited by Blaithin; May 21, 2022, 08:24.

Comment

Earlier the story was the feedlots were running on all packer cattle as there as no margin in feeding but the packers needed to keep the lines running and could easily cover so called feeding loss at the plant.

Might not need the Canadian lot capacity with all the cows coming.
          They have to be anticipating higher costs for calves coming?
          I expect them to call for higher imports quotas for box beef as they won't have product to fill consumer demand.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...