• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Seed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Seed

Last fall I was assured that there was a shortage of Canola Seed and I better get it booked and get it home as soon as possible or I might not get any. I am sure others heard the same.
    Today I went in for a visit with one of the local retailers so I just asked him
    If I wanted to increase my canola acres did he have any invigor seed left to sell? He told me yes and asked which invigor I would want? I asked him which one he had left? He told me all of them. I could still buy any invigor that I wanted.
    Always games being played!

All the guys growing it in drier areas bailed on acres. Lots of supply now.

Comment

If it dont dry up in a week mine is going back.

Comment

Over the years what crop from the previous year does canola perform the best in your area.

Comment

Isn’t that the truth, I think more acres of canola will be lost to wetness rather than dry. Southern Manitoba looks like a write off and eastern SK in not that far behind.

Comment

Pouring rain here been steady since dinner time. Looks like June 1st. startime now and will be lucky to get canola on some of it now, more likely greenfeed for livestock. Grounds full all rain now is runoff to lake Manitoba. Hard to believe I was walking through the bottoms of dugouts 7 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
              Over the years what crop from the previous year does canola perform the best in your area.
              Alfalfa. Sprayed out in fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                Alfalfa. Sprayed out in fall.
                Here canola does crap on any sod.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                  Here canola does crap on any sod.
                  I always put canola on sod, direct seeded, usually sprayed out only a few days before seeding. It just needs a lot of fertilizer, especially nitrogen to make it work.

Comment

If it dont dry up in a week mine is going back.
                    Keeping ours that will not be seeded.
                    Next yrs price could be ridiculous..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                      Keeping ours that will not be seeded.
                      Next yrs price could be ridiculous..
                      Some of best crops on sod, Good RR Canola, 2x Cross seeded. 120lb N, This year=$180/ac for N @ $2600/MT NH3... still is $1000/ac though!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                        Some of best crops on sod, Good RR Canola, 2x Cross seeded. 120lb N, This year=$180/ac for N @ $2600/MT NH3... still is $1000/ac though!

Cheers
                        Sod in Fort sask and the hell I farm in are not the same thing. The canola playbook says seed shallow into a firm moist seedbed, 100 % opposite of a hay field.

Comment

Sod in Fort sask and the hell I farm in are not the same thing. The canola playbook says seed shallow into a firm moist seedbed, 100 % opposite of a hay field.
                          Did it zero till shallow.

Comment

There is no Liberty chemical to be had so it makes sense that they have a ton of seed left still.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
                              There is no Liberty chemical to be had so it makes sense that they have a ton of seed left still.
                              Liberty is made in Regina. Whats the reason for the shortage

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...