• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So if we loose another week how late will you seed up to?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if we loose another week how late will you seed up to?

For us, we will go full bore till the 5th of June. That is a day that we use to finish by and I will stick with that. We will use full inputs up till the end of May and then Nitrogen will be cut back after that, We will take back two late varieties of Canola as well.

the 5th of June was a special day because when I was younger a group of us would always go fishing up north on a fly-in trip and I was the largest farmer at that time so I always had to be done by the 5th. Some years they waited till I made the last run and parked and off we went to get on the plane up north and fly an hour further north. Great times.

That's a full three weeks and more than enough time to get the crop in if the weather works out well.

Funny the latest has snow on the may long for Eastside and up. God, I hope they are wrong.

So what other guys' plans because the market isn't even looking at this problem.

Our ag minister said the other day that Sask. farmers are moving very well ahead with seeding. Does the dumb **** look outside his window?

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    For us, we will go full bore till the 5th of June. That is a day that we use to finish by and I will stick with that. We will use full inputs up till the end of May and then Nitrogen will be cut back after that, We will take back two late varieties of Canola as well.

the 5th of June was a special day because when I was younger a group of us would always go fishing up north on a fly-in trip and I was the largest farmer at that time so I always had to be done by the 5th. Some years they waited till I made the last run and parked and off we went to get on the plane up north and fly an hour further north. Great times.

That's a full three weeks and more than enough time to get the crop in if the weather works out well.

Funny the latest has snow on the may long for Eastside and up. God, I hope they are wrong.

So what other guys' plans because the market isn't even looking at this problem.

Our ag minister said the other day that Sask. farmers are moving very well ahead with seeding. Does the dumb **** look outside his window?
    In central Alberta our two issues are lack of moisture and a relatively cold spring. What I am interested in is how large of an area in Saskatchewan and Manitoba are too wet?

Comment

https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/seasonal-reports/crop-report-archive/

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        In central Alberta our two issues are lack of moisture and a relatively cold spring. What I am interested in is how large of an area in Saskatchewan and Manitoba are too wet?
        Sounds like E of Humboldt gets less if any field work. Apparently Nipawin and E are/were drier warmer. How far S?

Comment

Seems like every few years this comes up and some start talking about 60 day barley and short season oats again. Then the next year it is forgotten. Anyone still growing Ollie or other breads anymore? Just in case.

Comment

June 5th for durum or lentils sound possible, wont usually seed canola after around victoria day, but might stretch that a few days this yr.

Sure we could have an open fall, but we could also have one like 2019 and out there end of November trying to get it in.

Get something established but not something you will be fighting to bring in 2 months late.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
              SE, Carnduff, Weyburn Estevan area are openly talking about not seeding this yr. Dont know how big of an area.

Imagine a large swath of southern MB might be in the same predicament.

Comment

To crop insurance deadlines.
                Will be weeds anyway..might as well have something growing .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	m22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	773389.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                    Seems like every few years this comes up and some start talking about 60 day barley and short season oats again. Then the next year it is forgotten. Anyone still growing Ollie or other breads anymore? Just in case.
                    Lu oats, Conlon barley, and Splendour wheat are early and yield well enough, and give good quality. Some of those old ones the bushel weight left something to be desired. In 2017 we couldn’t get in the field till may 25. Canola was phenomenal and oats and barley made it. Didn’t seed any wheat even if it was splendour. Many did and it still made it fine. I don’t know if it was dumb ass luck but heat came in time to push everything along. Think I’m a lot more north of a lot of you guys here so I assume my season isn’t as open.

Comment

We have seeded to June 20 before
                      More than once
                      Most crop ins deadlines are earlier now tho

Comment

Been looking for conlon barley for a while, never did find any.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          We have seeded to June 20 before
                          More than once
                          Most crop ins deadlines are earlier now tho
                          Deadline for frost coverage is June 1 mostly.

Comment

Not in sask I don’t think

Comment

Hopefully those of you too wet can get going asap.
                              Rain forecast here , not lots but desperately needed. Time will tell but all rain forecasted the past 3 weeks here has disappeared and nothing materialized yet .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.