• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about too wet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about too wet

Who decides?

The farmer , the RM , the province

If a guy knows it's too wet and won't make a return is he still forced to try ?

Wrecked equipment cost?

2010 didn't prove to be a winner with all the rain. Plenty of tow straps that year.

Just a conversation about this program.

We seeded higher places to get coverage. Real shitty yields and WEEDS. Most just fallowed, about half was seeded. Not sure who was correct, better land in 2011 if fallowed, no Crop Insurance payout.
    If calendar says last days to seed for coverage, decide if MUDDING in will pay.

Comment

We will try to establish a crop to the crop insurance deadline, insurance coverage is too high to ignore. To wet insurance won’t cover rent on some land. Wie will start cutting fertilizer rates at the end of May and keep lowering them if we continue to seed in June. For us most crops seeded after June 5 will not yield or mature good. Too early to panic yet, even though 7 day forecast sucks.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	91796EE1-9581-4277-AC3B-FB1FE28E9D7A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	773385

Comment

Cattle guys would be wise to start making deals on some later seeded crops to ensure they have feed.

Comment

I bet there isn’t anyone who thought to take the “too wet to seed option”from SCIC.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
            I bet there isn’t anyone who thought to take the “too wet to seed option”from SCIC.
            I did.

We had 2inch of rain here in the last 4 days. Probably 15% of the acres were too wet to seed after the spring thaw that waited an extra month to happen. Those spots are going to be bigger now.

I am hearing rumours of 3-6 inches of rain down in the SE Sk area. Can anyone confirm.

bucket, in 2011, she was a wright off before we even hooked on the drill. 50-60% of the acres were flooded. We made some feeble attempt before the provinces kicked up the flooding coverage.

In 2014, they were a little more discerning. They wanted you to make an attempt in May but by June were more lenient. Last thing they want is a bunch of barely established acres to pay out on.

The absolutely worse thing is putting all your inputs in the ground and having mother nature steal the acres. In 2014 I finished seeding lentils and rolled it all then we got 3 in of rain. The water just flashed off the flat ground and made super sloughs.

Not even sure I am going to seed lentils this yr. Maybe up the canola acres now. We aren't even to our wettest month yet.
            Last edited by jazz; May 14, 2022, 10:46.

Comment

As long as the BTOs have trouble , my little farm doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things, Is what I have learned about these things.

Pretty sure some guys have the CEO of SCIC on their speed dial.

Comment

Who decides? The weather decides. If you can’t seed, you can’t seed. I guess I don’t get the question really?

Scic shouldn’t be making decisions for us.

In 2010, I took the adjuster around in July in the 4wd tractor. That was all the proof he needed as we sloshed around down back roads and in the slime.

People who have never really been wet, can’t imagine what it’s like. The proof of that is that they think dry is actually worse! If you physically can’t go, you can’t go. If you tried here now, you wouldn’t make it into the field ten feet. Is that trying? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                  I believe it’s mandatory. $50,$70,$100 are the options.

Comment

"People who have never really been wet, can’t imagine what it’s like. The proof of that is that they think dry is actually worse!"

That's the quote of the Day, maybe year... where we live is the excuse. We know dry and decent conditions, some only know dry and drier...

Actually the Mid West US is WET on average. Rubber boots are BIG sellers I hear. They get 4-6" rain storms every year...but tiles save their rears! And rivers take it away.
                    Last edited by fjlip; May 14, 2022, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      I believe it’s mandatory. $50,$70,$100 are the options.
                      I always take the max. History in this neck of the woods says it’s much better odds than Rich Strike.

Comment

Farmer always decides on what is and is not seedable. Highly variable from field to field and crop to crop.
                        No doubt in my mind seedling 2022 is now officially a salvage operation. Get what you can in and established and collect insurance.
                        Experience from 2005,06,07,09,2010 taught us to expect 25-50% normal yield when mudding in a crop. The only reason why we need to mud in the 2022 crop is to get something established on some acres in order to collect crop insurance for cash flow.

Comment

Think positive.
                          Last yr we worked into November on nice days..
                          Calendar means zip..it only makes stress none of us need..
                          The 100 buck an acre insurance is tiny compared to what is needed or the potential that could be made..
                          Farming not for the weak of Heart..
                          The guys who retired and got excellent $$$for equipment or locked in the 100 buck rent are sure not regretting their decisions..
                          Let's see how this pans out..
                          Remember..your not alone..

Comment

Although I too farm, I am grateful I don't farm where some of you do.
                            The extremes are incredible.

Comment

I’ll keep going till the 20 th of June and then it’s crop insurance. Inputs get cut back in two weeks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.