• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about too wet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO for this year because the coverage levels for SCIC are pretty good for most crops like canola, a lot of effort will be made to get something planted. Its way higher than the unseed able benefit plus better to have something growing on wet ground. Floaters are getting geared up to spread. I remember in my parts in 99 we harrowed on lots of canola and it kinda works. I know there will be no ad hock payments other than what insurance is bought. Even the margin insurance outfits need a crop planted for coverage I understand from what I am told.

Comment

Check last seeding dates for your area, ours is June 8 Canola, wheat.

Yes EXTREMES! Lots of COLD and SNOW chances Thursday over most of Sk, IF accurate.

Comment

Not to burn the high tech drills, but I sure glad we have the obsolete, light 8810 with HD packers in the soggy mud fields ahead..

Comment

Not changing plans and will be seeding into June, confident in the Invigor varieties I grow, a nice warm June and July can move crops along quickly. Two years ago I was combining on May 3 and it snowed like hell on May 9, had a decent crop that year, no point calling Scott Moe and saying we need a disaster declared just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Cattle guys would be wise to start making deals on some later seeded crops to ensure they have feed.
            How many cattle guys are going to be left after this year? I think their might be a glut of hay and garbage crops this fall.

1/2 the guys around me have already said its the last year. Death loss this spring, with high inputs and no jump in cattle prices. Renting and selling land is much more attractive than razor thin cow margins.

Comment

Originally posted by cuban_assassin View Post
              Farmer always decides on what is and is not seedable. Highly variable from field to field and crop to crop.
              No doubt in my mind seedling 2022 is now officially a salvage operation. Get what you can in and established and collect insurance.
              Experience from 2005,06,07,09,2010 taught us to expect 25-50% normal yield when mudding in a crop. The only reason why we need to mud in the 2022 crop is to get something established on some acres in order to collect crop insurance for cash flow.
              Agree for sure on the farmer decides .. period . Not some retired school teacher with crop insurance or a political clown with a garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                Not to burn the high tech drills, but I sure glad we have the obsolete, light 8810 with HD packers in the soggy mud fields ahead..
                Our ole 8910 is simply steady day after day and yes light on its feet if need be
                The high tech planter , much the same as any very new drill is troublesome with way too many finicky sensors . Fine when conditions are good but that’s maybe 10-20% of the time .
                Does awesome job when things are perfect, but we all know that’s very seldom

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
                  Not changing plans and will be seeding into June, confident in the Invigor varieties I grow, a nice warm June and July can move crops along quickly. Two years ago I was combining on May 3 and it snowed like hell on May 9, had a decent crop that year, no point calling Scott Moe and saying we need a disaster declared just yet.
                  Apparently we are not neighbors.

Comment

This a very good lesson again on forward contracting .
                    There were times many were called foolish not to be contracting fall grain at great prices before even getting the seed in the ground . Well that strategy can sink farms in years like this let alone last year.
                    Mother Nature rules , not make believe marketing

Comment

Fertilize for 25 bu canola and 35 bu wheat. If you can't make money with those yields phone RB auctions, maybe you'll make the centerfold in next springs catalog.
                      Last edited by 6V53; May 15, 2022, 08:30.

Comment

In mid March, when we had our first spring,,, a lot of farms were dropping the Too Wet option(too cut costs). We still had snow banks and water ponding on the fields so didn't completely drop it, but lowered coverage to $50.
                        Sucks now, seeing so much standing water, plus a crappy forecast.

It's not cheap insurance by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                          Apparently we are not neighbors.
                          No I don't think we are, I am east central Sask.

Comment

Any acres after crop ins. will go greenfeed. Seems with bales at $100 its worth trying to get something in the ground least till first week in July. Been a few times seeding , spraying, and baling hay on July 1 weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
                              Fertilize for 25 bu canola and 35 bu wheat. If you can't make money with those yields phone RB auctions, maybe you'll make the centerfold in next springs catalog.
                              You joke... but I'm shooting for lower...

Anybody want to start taking stabs at production numbers for western canada yet? All else being equal, I find it likely that top end production has been shaved already. If it stays dry in the SW, and wet to the east I see no path to "average" from here. There has to be a complete pattern change in the next week or we're all going to start seeing worst fears come to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                                You joke... but I'm shooting for lower...

Anybody want to start taking stabs at production numbers for western canada yet? All else being equal, I find it likely that top end production has been shaved already. If it stays dry in the SW, and wet to the east I see no path to "average" from here. There has to be a complete pattern change in the next week or we're all going to start seeing worst fears come to fruition.
                                Just looked at forecast and it’s more rain on Tuesday and cold. It just won’t get a chance to dry out. If we are in the same pattern as this winter with snow every few days it will be hard to turn a wheel.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.