• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch openers roll pin

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch openers roll pin

Anyone ever make or have a press to get roll pins out of openers instead of beating with a hammer? And to install when opener is on machine?

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    Anyone ever make or have a press to get roll pins out of openers instead of beating with a hammer? And to install when opener is on machine?
    If I am near the shop when I change them, I take the anvil under with me place it on one side of the opener and pound the pin from the other side. Usually just bust up what is left of the point with a big hammer.
    Get Some longer pins, then You can drive them in without a punch without fear of hitting the opener and just grind off the excess.

Comment

Would a sickle section rivet tool work to press them in and out?

Comment

I was looking for ours today but may have gone down the road with a swather . I think something like that would work

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
          I was looking for ours today but may have gone down the road with a swather . I think something like that would work
          I think good old Peavey still has them. I dunno if it has the spread and reach or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            I think good old Peavey still has them. I dunno if it has the spread and reach or not?
            I think you could get the old pin out with a rivet tool after busting up the opener and grinding off the ends.

Comment

BTT bolted but seized solid openers anyone? Sounds like a Dutch treat.

Are other's BTT knock on holders cracking?

Click image for larger version

Name:	opener.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	773377

Comment

I used a torch to blow both sides of the roll pin away. Then hit the tip off and knock the roll pin out. This was when I replacing the tips and had new roll pins with the new tips. Heating the tip also made it easier to get off.

Comment

on dutch openers i found if you beat roll pin in one direction with a larger size punch then spray on wd40 then beat it back and get the 1/4 inch punch to finish off they come out good enough , i sujested one time to their rep at ag days that they shud use stainless steel roll pins but i dont think he took my advice ! !

Comment

Morning …. Few weeks ago we changed out 48 Dutch Tips, just as CropGrower described. Bigger punch, get it moving, bit of lub, back opposite direction again with big punch. Then use correct size (1/4”) punch to drive out. A tool would be handy if say in field. Fortunate over the years that we never broke one or lost one either. It’s just a job you can get setup and be a bit patient with, some came out easy but not all. Farm safe everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                      Morning …. Few weeks ago we changed out 48 Dutch Tips, just as CropGrower described. Bigger punch, get it moving, bit of lub, back opposite direction again with big punch. Then use correct size (1/4”) punch to drive out. A tool would be handy if say in field. Fortunate over the years that we never broke one or lost one either. It’s just a job you can get setup and be a bit patient with, some came out easy but not all. Farm safe everyone!
                      What am I doing wrong? We have hardly any rocks, and I think I break six or eight every year. Maybe it is the Concord cultivator shanks that cause my problems, spring back and hit the rock a second time even harder perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                        Be sure you get a good quality dowel punch ground off nice and square. No China crap that mushrooms on the end.
                        If you are near air a quality long stoke air chisel with a top quality dowel punch makes easy work.
                        No Princess specials for punches. They just mushroom or bend and stick in the hole if you are using the proper size.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Roll-Pin-Punches/Roll-Pin-Punch/PHG80B
                        Last edited by shtferbrains; May 14, 2022, 09:23.

Comment

this worked awesome to get them out ! Just used hammer to put new ones in ! Snap on keeps these in stock

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.