• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Easter ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Easter ?

Fair bit of frost in the root piles and sounds like it's gonna stay that way into next weekend. No hiding easter eggs on front lawn for grandkids if snow forecast is right. Cant see having corn seeded by April 30 this year maybe molehills leveled.

Went skidooing yesterday and could go wherever I wished. Plus yeah a lot more snow forecast, and no highs above zero all week. Was in Saskatoon a couple days ago and saw a tinge of new green growth. Here, there are twelve foot drifts and thigh deep snow. It’s crazy already.

Comment

Soil temp 0 down to 100 cm. Hopefully the 30 to 40 cm coming this week will melt quickly.

Comment

Still lots of white stuff around here and rained all day yesterday. Slow melt so hopefully some liquid is going in the ground.
        Just curious about the guy with the chicken egg experiment.

Comment

90 days ago we had heavy fog the week coming up for a few days.
          Nah it's an old wives tale.

Comment

We need to get a handful pf pretty warmish days strung together to get the frost out of the ground here yet. Yards and treelines still full of snow.

We wont turn a wheel for at least a month here.

Comment

Lots of snow to melt here also. Fields are still white with the odd high spot with the stubble showing. Tree lines and road sides have have huge banks that have settled a little but are still going to take a long time to melt. forecast for this coming week shows highs below 0 until next weekend.
              My Mother who would be close to 90 if she was still with us always said spring runoff usually started between the 7th to 10th of April. Not going to happen this year and hasn't been that early for a number of years.
              Climate Emergency for sure! Just not happening the way the Lib's say it is.

Comment

Virtually all the snow gone here now.

Got first wheat treating done Friday… picking up fertilizer now…

Last 3 days really took out the snow…. 60km winds… warm nights….was 25c Friday

Cool this week…now the yard is dry… hook up seeder… haul Nexera to Bunge and bring seed/Fert back to farm….

No moisture forecast…. Frost going out of low areas.

Cheers

Comment

Yikes, I paid too much carbon tax this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	773262

Comment

Most snow is gone. She all soaked in as snow came early enough that there was no frost. We’ll be harrowing in a few weeks at least. Have equipment pulled out already and ready to go. Plan to start branding calves over Easter break in less than 10 days. Unless we get a late storm we’ll have one of the earliest starts in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                      Virtually all the snow gone here now.

Got first wheat treating done Friday… picking up fertilizer now…

Last 3 days really took out the snow…. 60km winds… warm nights….was 25c Friday

Cool this week…now the yard is dry… hook up seeder… haul Nexera to Bunge and bring seed/Fert back to farm….

No moisture forecast…. Frost going out of low areas.

Cheers
                      Have you made a decision on whether to delay seeding at all or not?

I think *we* at least in this neighborhood have no choice. Mother nature is certainly telling us to cool our jets quite literally as some models have us not seeing above freezing air temperatures until as late as April 21. I'm hoping we don't do alot of "freeze drying" here with frozen, exposed dirt and relentless winds.

We're only sitting on about 6-7" of moist soil and below that she's dry to the water table, so I think we have no choice but to wait for WARM soil temps that will promote quick germination. That said, quick germination is going to have to be followed by subsequent rainfall that matters. With no subsoil moisture, I think it would be a mistake, at least here, to seed into that moisture layer and waste it to cold dry winds.

On the other hand, I don't think I can wait much longer than the 5th of May or we're going to end up with a situation where one prolonged delay either from weather or backordered parts could put us into the back end of a reasonable seeding window.

Comment

The way the satellite looks right now, the storm is headed straight for Sask from Idaho. Prolly all of Sask should get the snow blowers out of storage. There’s a lot of calving going on right now.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FQHDE_PWQAIlXtj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	773264.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...