• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

federal corruption

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

federal corruption

Note to Supporters of the Citizens Centre

WEEKLY COMMENTARY
    "Just Between Us"

October 11, 2004

This is a golden opportunity to root out federal corruption

John McCallum, federal minister for taxation and Canada Post, made an announcement last week in the House of Commons.

He said the Canada Revenue Agency (formerly Revenue Canada) will audit the tax benefits paid to former Canada Post president Andre Ouellet.

Question. Can we believe him?

Andre Ouellet switched careers in 1996 from MP to Canada Post chairman. To ease his transition, the chairman's pay was raised from $20,000 a year to $160,000. In addition Ouellet billed the corporation an unheard-of $200,000 a year in travel and entertainment expenses, without producing any documented proof the claims were valid.

By a special decision of cabinet in 1999, Ouellet was promoted to president and awarded a salary of $400,000, the highest in the federal service. His travel and expense claims rose to an even more astonishing $300,000 a year.

Ouellet did other questionable things, such as involving himself in the sponsorship scandal, in which Ottawa spent $100 million for nothing. He was suspended (with pay) in February, and retired in August to a modest government pension of $116,000 a year.

Happy to see him go, Minister McCallum said the $2 million Ouellet received for unverified expense claims was not worth pursuing.

Thirteen thousand outraged Canadians have since e-mailed McCallum through the Web site of the Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy (of which I am chairman) telling McCallum it IS worth pursuing. As everyone knows, except apparently Andre Ouellet, if a business expense payment is not documented, the CRA is supposed to treat it as personal income, subject to tax.

On Wednesday, in reply to Conservative MP Brian Pallister, McCallum said that the CRA will audit the "more than $1.4 million" Ouellet was paid for expenses as president.

A good start, if it actually happens. But what about the other $600,000 he claimed as chairman?

And why did Canada Post's directors allow him to do this for eight years? Why did the taxman not catch an expense claim large enough to effectively double Ouellet's income? If he now fails to document his claims, will he be prosecuted for tax evasion?

And it shouldn't stop with Andre Ouellet.

Who else in Canada Post--or in the whole federal government, for that matter--gets paid expenses on his own mere say-so? (Ouellet called this the "honor system.")

With the Liberals in a minority, for the first time the government does not control the Public Accounts Committee. With an Opposition majority, it can at last flush a lot of rats out of a lot of woodpiles.

As well, a public inquiry into the sponsorship scandal being held by Judge John Gomery seems to be closing in very quickly on Jean Chretien and his cabinet cronies.

We've heard of little things like the 300 golf balls purchased with $1,200 in sponsorship money, each initialed "JC." We've also heard of big things, like the fact that Chretien was warned by the head of the civil service in 1997 that by directing the millions of dollars in funding, Chretien was making himself responsible.

Andre Ouellet is just the start. There's plenty more to come.

- Link Byfield

Link Byfield is chairman of the Edmonton-based Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy.

This is great. Let's use this opportunity to track down all the people who have succumbed to graft and the misuse of power, say, back 30 years. We've certainly seen it in every level of jurisdiction and every political stripe.

Here's a suggestion ivbinconned, maybe we could have a discussion here on how to know which candidates aren't susceptible to the corruption inherent, apparently, in power. Here they are often setting themselves up as protectors of the public purse and morals, and all of a sudden wham, there's the possibility of BILLIONS of dollars, Thousands of Millions, slipping through their hands. OK in the context of school boards and municipal aldermen maybe not Billions, but every thing seems to be relative doesn't it?

For me simply hearing a candidate say he or she "will do better next time if I only get elected" isn't good enough any more. What for instance would Mr. Byfield say that could possibly convince voters that he is any better than anyone else faced with the big temptation?

Comment

I don't know tower...but you could sure ask him. Here is his e-mail address Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy [contact@citizenscentre.com]

Comment

Thanks ivbinconned, are there other suggestions on how this can be addressed?

Comment

To think we will ever find an overnight fix to this issues would be crazy! But an open book policy would sure make it easier to catch the crooks. Everything is done on the net, and anyone with a social security number should have the ability to access any or all of the spending our folks in power do. They should also be subject to keeping promises they make like any other verbal contract.
          It is sad to see, our political piggies at the olympic games on our dime, and in the very next shot on tv a coach trying to coach their competator on a cell phone???? Go figure. I know their job is tough, but every tax payer has a tough job too so they need to suck-it--up or leave.

Comment

Term Limits.
            Right of recall.
            Rule of Law not rule of mob.

These are all things that would promote better representation. Not that it would be perfect because any system is no better than the integrity of the men in charge and the cullability of the people who elect them but it would go along way in curbing the life long carreer's some have made of running our lifes.

Also I would remove the power of the CRTC who governs what we the people can see and hear. We are not mushrooms and should not be treated as such!

Comment

I like the idea of instant access to money already spent, recall, term limits, I'm womdering about psychology testing for people wanting our higher offices.

A person heading in that direction and therefore in the tracks of the corruption express might look into it for himself, (herself) just to avoid embarrassment later.

Comment

I believe it is human nature to want to get ahead and take advantage of any situation you find yourself in?
                Politics is a dirty business and it takes an exceptional person to keep their principles and morals intact when you are running with the wolves?
                I often laugh at all the bottom feeding lawyers running for office...they want to help their fellow man...yea right!
                I do believe if you take a man who has been in business, and has a good reputation for being honest and a square shooter, then you have a good start for a potential candidate? Don't put a lot of faith in someone who wants to rant away about what an upstanding religious type they are! These usually turn out to be the biggest crooks...but I believe a solid Christian background is a positive.
                Myself I believe if the person running for office knows what it is like to meet a payroll every month, knows how you need to give good service to your customers, and knows you have to be cautious with your money to succeeed, is the person I want to run my country?
                Forget all the professional politicians, government bums, dreamers, and scum that prey on the people! Hey wait a minute...that's who we've been electing the last several years!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...