• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grass fed results

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass fed results

Got the results back from our grassfed slaughter cattle today and I wonder how they compare to grain fed? All 18 month old heifers, fed hay and up to 4lb pellets last winter then fattened totally on grass and slaughtered October 6th. Hanging weights averaged 690lbs and I estimated they would be just over 1200lbs standing in the field. Butcher said they had plenty fat cover and that the fat was hard not soft (meaning?)
    They are pre sold in 1/2s and 1/4s cut, wrapped and delivered. Our net after all processing and delivery costs are off will be $1300 . Time will tell if our product is right, price is right, and we have repeat customers. For year 1 I am encouraged, it lets me see that there is around $400 per head disappearing between fat cattle leaving the farm and turning up in the stores. ($400 after the costs have been paid)
    Any comments from any of you more experienced meat sellers?
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...