• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

extremely unusual weather

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extremely unusual weather

Those of you betting on a return to normal weather patterns this year might want to consider that today it is raining at the north pole and temperatures are 50F above normal. And the pole is still in 24 hours darkness for another week. https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/03/15/north-pole-melting-arctic-climate/

And not just a heat wave there. All of northern India is under heat warnings and Delhi has set all time high temperature that could reach 38C there this weekend. Mumbai is 8C above normal for this time of year.
    https://www.india.com/news/india/heat-wave-roasts-north-india-imd-issues-severe-warning-for-delhi-mumbai-thane-gujarat-north-konkan-state-wise-weather-forecast-here-5287394/

Concordia station in Antarctica rose to -18.8C which is above both March and February monthly records highs.

March so far has been incredibly warm in #China. Some temperatures recorded in the past days include:
    Shanghai 29.3C (monthly record is 29.6C)
    Chongquing 30.3C
    Nanjing 29.1C
    Hangzhou 31.3C
    Wuhan 29.1C
    Taiwan: Kaoshiung 33.8C
    Next 2 days will also be at record levels for mid March

Yes it is unusual weather in our little area here.
    Most of the old boys say the most snow since 1974.

We "usualy" get a nice thaw that melts the pavement off in town about once a month but not this year.
    The streets are so banked with snow it's dangerous meeting people walking.

Had a nice day today with a little dripping off the roof.

Spring always comes.
    Sometimes you just wait a little longer.

Comment

That’s something alert and eureka were - 20 and - 22 respectively today… a tad cooler yesterday…- 30 somethings at night….

Comment

Not sure what to make of that news article.
        Just went on Venture sky and flew to all those areas and tonight looks cold up north with temps down around -30. Venture Sky looks accurate for all other areas so I would assume its accurate in the north. Would be strange for sure if it was raining up there at those temps!

Comment

Thank you DML for bringing back a taste of the good old days.
          When we got to argue about innocuous things like global warming.

Almost brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the good times we had before covid came along and stole all the oxygen from the room.

Comment

Would that be at a different North Pole than this one ?

Comment

The dead give away to me about the temperatures is when one reads from the Washington post…it’s one of the most honest media outlets a going….sarcasm.

Comment

and coming from the bullshit policeman to boot

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  Would that be at a different North Pole than this one ?
                  As a matter of fact case, it is a different place. North Pole Alaska is about 1750 MILES away from the geographic north pole which is where the temperatures I reported come from. It is in the middle of the Artic Ocean and not anywhere near Alaska.

Oh, and for blackjack, Alert is 500 miles south of the north pole. Also on land. BTW, did you read the article or you are just smarter than the scientists who actually went and took the temperature and the journalists who reported it.

Can't wait to see how you try to discredit the temperatures reported in India, China, and Antarctica that I included. Or are they close enough to the North pole Alaska and Alert too?
                  Last edited by dmlfarmer; Mar 17, 2022, 22:05.

Comment

Funny. A week or so ago we were fifty Fahrenheit below normal. No one came to our place to write about it.

No news media breathlessly panicked.

Now, had it been ten degrees above normal? All bets are off.

Comment

I read it sort of.
                      Definitely says "the north pole".
                      But also uses the word "could" several times. Sorry.

Comment

Anything I find says -22c, doubt its raining.

Comment

Maybe India isn't as concerned about the reports of record temps as they are going to export some of their unusual wheat surplus to fill some of the conflict shortfall.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                            Anything I find says -22c, doubt its raining.
                            Since it seems some of you are unable to copy and paste a link, here are a couple of quotes from the story.

"In Hopen, an island off Svalbard in the Barents Sea at 76 degrees north latitude, the temperature recently hit 39 degrees (3.9 Celsius), its highest March temperature on record."

"Weather models indicate the same plume of warmth will reach the North Pole on Wednesday with temperatures between 29 and 33 degrees (near 0 Celsius)."

"“For example, heavy rain over sea ice,” wrote the team. “This might have serious implications on a possible early melting of the sea ice, and this in the mid of March!”"

tweet from scientific aircrew that actually observed the rain
                            HALO-(AC)³
                            @HALOAC3
                            Unbelievable warm air masses in the central #Arctic. We even observed heavy liquid precipitation over sea ice. Rain over sea ice at 76 degree N! #Arctic Amplification #AC3TR #HALOAC3
                            1:47 PM · Mar 13, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

"The team also encountered tall convective clouds, or clouds energized by vertical heat transfer in the atmosphere. Some had blossomed almost as tall as clouds usually found in the tropics."

I found reports of rain over sea ice from convective clouds in the very high Arctic occuring during winter, and at a time when the area is still under 24 hour darkness to be very interesting so I shared it. As expected some of you will deny this occurred because it does not fit your bias and so be it. For the open minded on here that are interested in unusual WEATHER phenomena well here is North Pole rains in winter.

Comment

BTW, maybe this is why prairie farmers did not get any drought relief for the unusual weather conditions last summer. Maybe government people reject the drought happened just like some of you reject the actual observations of a scientific team that observed winter rain in the high arctic. Maybe since there was no severe drought in Ottawa, how could it have possibly have happened on the prairies just like since on land weather stations in the high arctic did not record these temps, the closest being 500+ miles south. Maybe since drought happened in the 30s and we are still farming today, government seen no point in helping just like the argument that has been made here that the high arctic was once tropical so is this really unusual. I am sure some of you even think Helmach must be lying about his kid riding a bike in dry stubble fields now given you have still 4 feet of snow in your farm yards.

I posted for interest only and not to get into an argument if the Washington post report of observed weather by a scientific team it was really true or if the Washington Post is truthful.
                              Last edited by dmlfarmer; Mar 18, 2022, 07:05.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.