• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bale Processors

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bale Processors

I'm looking for a bale processor this fall, wondering if anyone has advice on the best model. I was hoping to pick up a Highline, either a 6000, 6600 - about all I'd be able to afford. Maybe a 6800 if the price is right. Has anyone tried each of these? Would the 6000 or 6600 do the job? Any big problems with any of these? Also, do you cut the twines off first? I've heard some stories about dead calves with gutfuls of short twines....

I use a black baldie cow with four stomachs-works as good as anything out there-she's got all day to chew

Comment

Exactly! You do too much processing for them there cows and they'll have too much time on their hands and think about other things, like getting through fences!

Comment

hey look at it this way .... it will only take about 300 cows to pay for it... if a cow is worth 300 bucks and the machine cost $15000.I dont know what it costs to buy one but you dont but much for 15000 anymore.

Comment

...I'll have to disagree with you on this one guys...bought a haybuster back in 93 to feed greenfeed to calves along the fenceline ... used it to process poorer quality feed to the cows...feed the cows the exact amount they need to maintain condition without much feed loss... can feed the cows so their manure is spread to the areas other than around the corral ...as far I'm concerned from what I observe there are still many cowcalf guys in western Alta that waste alot of feed...mgh... tell the dealer to bring one out and demo...my father has a highline 6800 which he likes but I perfer the haybuster...depending on how much the individual ranch uses one should last a long time... as for taking off the twine that is a personal choice ...in our operation we have never lost a calf to twine...

Comment

We have a Highline 7000, this will be our 5th winter no problems and a great way to feed cows out on the field.I leave the twine on the bales and cut it off my machine once a week. Good way to feed lower quality feed too, also great for bedding pens but you need some room to manouver.

Comment

We found less feed wasted with the processor. Leaves it in a narrow windrow so they don't walk on it as much. We've completely switched to silage ration now but still use it to chop the straw or hay we mix in. Where it really shines is in bedding. I use about half the bedding I used to. The other thing is the corral cleaning goes faster as well, not fighting the long straws. Loading and spreading both go quicker. We have a bale king from flaman, basicaly the same as the highline. Good, simple machines. We've had one for about 8 years and would have a tough time to be without now. We've had the bale king 4 years now without any trouble.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...